“Recently upgraded mini suite”
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 1 January 2012

All was very good. Basic Marriot chain hotel. Love their beds. Biggest beef? I don't understand why Motel Six has free wifi when the Marriot charges 13.00. If you can get a good deal, stay here. If not, pay the price for something more charming.

• Stayed: January 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,343)

Reviewed 31 December 2011

Just check out from this hotel and I have to say we loved this place, we go to monterey/Carmel area so offen and this is best hotel around this area(in my opinion) property self is little old and it show their age-we were given one of newly remodel room but still can tell it is old place - new bed, new wall paper but old bathroom, old towel...
service is really great - we are Marriott platinum member which doesn't mean anything to other marriott hotel (usually) but this place really honor it and felt applciated -before we check in we got e-mail from concierge and they took care of our dinner regervation and when we got there they give us free breakfast(which was really great, egg station, breads,fruits...),water and Hagen-daze ice cream, also there was note and little gift for my husband(it was his birthday) we ordered roll away bed and it took 5minuts and front desk called right after that make sure we got everything that we need
Our view was great too -over look Monterey city and ocean
We will defenally go back there, this will be our place whenever we need to stay around that area

1  Thank lovehawaiigirl
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We decided to take Grandma Jackie to Monterey, CA for a couple of days and were able to get a great deal on Priceline at the Marriott. We LOVED this place. The valet parking guys were so friendly and were patient with our suburban full of luggage. Rooms were nice and beds were VERY comfortable! We went to the Sports Bar and Grill on Monday and Tuesday, with kids, and had a great time. Order the nachos, it's huge and yummy! There is a GREAT wine tasting place across the street, don't miss that place. Spent the day on Cannary Row, which is very close by, but Grandma Jackie would say to stay away from the Bargetto Winery because of the grumpy old salesperson. The rest of the day was fabulous! We will surely come back to the Marriott - a great place to stay!!!!!

Room Tip: We had rooms 509, 511, and 513 (511 and 513 were adjoining rooms) - all were great.
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I first want to say that the hotel's front desk staff went above and beyond in accommodating my friends and I. The room was recently renovated with top of the line linens and furniture. The room size was slightly larger than an average room and the view was incredible! The room was also one of the cleanest hotel rooms I have ever been in, and looked to be recently renovated. The only bad thing I have to say about this hotel is that the pool and spa were closed due to renovations on the 2nd floor. The front desk told me I could walk over to the hotel across the street and use their pool and spa facilities, but when its 40 degrees outside its not that convenient. Once the renovations are complete, this hotel will be the best place to stay in Monterey,CA

Room Tip: ask for a recently renovated room on a high floor to get a great view
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank FsuTraveler
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We were planning a trip to the Monterey Aquarium, so I decided to use priceline.com "name your price" feature to find a hotel room. The website came back with this hotel for $100 a night, so I figured we would give it a try for that low price.
The hotel is located in downtown Monterey, a quick walk to the wharf, but you will have to drive to Cannery Row or the Aquarium. You can also purchase your aquarium tickets from the concierge, which was very nice.
There are no self-parking options, so be prepared to pay for valet parking. I did not mind since we got such a deal on the nightly rate. Check-in was lovely and they gave my 2-year-old a cute sea animal, which pleased him to no end.
We were in a king room, which had been recently renovated. The room itself was clean and lovely, with a great view, but I was a bit disappointed with the bathroom. It was clean, but I would not call it renovated.
The walls seemed a bit thin, as we could hear conversations in the hallway quite clearly and we could hear voices next door as well. I did not let it bother me, but I think I would have been more bothered had I paid full price for the room!
Our overall experience was not negative and we had a perfectly pleasant stay for the price, but I would hesitate to pay full price or call this a four-star hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing north have a nice view of the water.
1  Thank CTS80
Reviewed 12 December 2011

This is not a 4 star hotel as it is advertised.

We were not notified that there is valet parking only for this hotel and that it's $20. There's no self parking option.

There is no free in room wifi either. Don't all hotels offer this now??

The bathroom is very dated. It was also poorly lit and the shower never stopped dripping.

I've stayed at better hotels for less money. Just because you have valet parking and gents who open the door and take your luggage doesn't make you a 4 star if the rooms themselves are sub par.

Room Tip: No free wifi. Lower levels hear road noise. No self parking. Expensive valet only.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ogg1e
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Nice size full service Marriott in the heart of Monterey. Very friendly staff. The hotel is a bit dated but the floor we were on seemed to have been recently renovated/refreshed. It is in a good location - close to downtown with lots of shops and restaurants. No self parking options at the hotel so we used the valet which was $20. The breakfast buffet was very nice - lots of options.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple