“Best breakfast buffet and a great location in Monterey!”
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Spokane, Washington, United States
“Best breakfast buffet and a great location in Monterey!”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I travel frequently to Monterey and this is my hotel of choice. Located in the middle of the downtown and directly across the street from the famous fishermans warf, there is no better location. When you wakeup in the morning don't miss out on the fabulous breakfast buffet. From various fresh fruit to cooked to order eggs and omlets to all the side items, this is a fantastic way to start your day. Marriott gold and platinum members be aware that the buffet is free during the weekdays as they do not have a lounge. If your staying in Monterey California, this is a great place to stay!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Richard W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We took Amtrak from San Diego, and paid for their bus ride from Salinas to this Marriott. I loved the room - the colors were light and decor pleasant. The bathroom was nice as well. The service was excellent. We enjoyed their breakfast buffet - the continental included hard-boiled eggs and cheese, plus everything else usually included (especially good fruit). Although several TA reviews said ask for a room not facing the street, we did anyway to get a nice view. We enjoyed the view of the bay, but the first night, it was noisy in the middle of the night- I think from people leaving their sports bar and spending a lot of time outside talking very loudly. I slept through it the second night, though. I really loved the location. I felt like I was in the middle of a small town and enjoyed walking the area. I liked taking the free "trolley bus" across the way to the aquarium, etc. Fodor's recommended a restaurant right next to the hotel, Montrio Bistro. Their food is excellent. We also ate at Rosine's Restaurant, 434 Alvarado St. Good home cooking, reasonable prices. Be warned, though: They have several irresistable 6-layer cakes on display. I had the lemon and in took me 3 days to finish it! I look forward to staying here again and will probably get a front facing room again for the view.

Room Tip: To avoid noise, get a room in the back. Room 514 has a nice view
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovetotravelSanDiego
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 June 2012

There is plenty to do, several excellent restaurants and places to shop within walking distance of the Monterey Marriott. The service received from all staff members was excellent. This was the first time we stayed at this Marriott and the first time we have stayed in Downtown Monterey. We were in Monterey to celebrate our 46th Anniversary. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cgmeigs
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This was my fifth trip to Monterey for a conference. It has a great location and was very convenient to the conference center next door. Hotel staff are very friendly. Public areas were kept immaculately. Convenience to bars and restuarants made for great evenings after the conference.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 284Ont
Fair Oaks, California
Reviewed 21 June 2012

The hotel is in a great location for visiting cannery row, the aquarium and the wharf. Our room was on the 9th floor with a nice view of the pool and peek at the bay. The bathroom did not look like it had been cleaned when we checked in and the wallpaper was peeling off. At 6:00 in the morning we heard loud engine noises that seemed to be coming from the pool area. We also ran out of toilet paper in the middle of the night and there was not any extra in the room and room service had to be called and told to bring some up and leave it outside the door as not to wake others sleeping in the room. When we checked in we were told that we had a choice of newspapers and our choice would be delivered to our room in the morning, this never happened. Our breakfast in the morning was excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank suethe
Okeechobee, Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This was my second stay ath this hotel. It was undergoing some rennovation the last time I stayed and has been greatly improved since my last stay so I thought it was worth re-reviewing. The location couldn't be nicer - only a block or two from Fisherman's wharf. On the next street over there's a Farmers Market / Craft Fair on Tuesdays. Every staff member I encountered was very professional and courteous. I would highly recommend this hotel whether on business or vacation.

Room Tip: Being a Marriott Rewards Gold member got me a room with a beautiful view of the bay.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JVBV
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I enjoyed this hotel very much! It is immaculate, comfortable, great breakfast. The Hotel Personnel are very nice. The only thing (for me) and this hotel doesn't reflect the 'charm' of Monterey. It is basically a block building and nothing really speaks out at you. Its a beautiful and top notch place. For me, it just doesn't have character. Great Location, comfortable beds, nice views. I have nothing to say negative about the hotel, its personnel, or accomodation. Nice Pool and Hot Tub.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends