“Great team, great leader-- place gets it right.”
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Seattle
“Great team, great leader-- place gets it right.”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed one night while heading down the coast. At check-in we were told that there would be a water shutdown at 11 with restoration at 5 am. Come 7 am and the water is still not on, meaning no showers for most of the hotel. That is when it usually falls apart but I have to commend the professionalism of the team. Things were obviously not going right but the entire staff was calm, empathetic, and looked for ways to rectify the situation. My wife and I ended up using another room that did have water to take showers. What really blew me away was getting a personal letter from the manager, Clid, apologizing for the inconvenience and giving me his number if I had any concerns or issues. I had, in the confusion of moving rooms, left a coat and shirt behind which he promptly offered to fed ex to a hotel we would be at a few days later. But then he also solicited my feedback regarding his staff, including my compliments about the valet parking team. He said that he appreciated the detail of my comments and intended to use them at a team meeting to reinforce the good behavior. The whole concept of excellent customer service obviously gets talked to death-- what I saw first hand was a genuine commitment from the manager and his team to not just deal with the day to day, but to deal with the problems and obstacles, and truly commit to customer service. This exchange took an unpleasant experience and turned it into my giving the place the highest rating. Other recent comments about the location, room cleanliness, etc are all spot on but its the people at this hotel that make it shine the most.

1 Thank Bartel55
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
I'm so glad that Clid and his team were able to give you excellent service. Thank you for staying with us and for telling others about your experience. I hope you'll stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Weymouth, MA
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We spent two nights in this newly renovated hotel in the charming town of Monterey, with a room overlooking Monterey Bay. The room was large, clean and well appointed, and the staff and concierge were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a Bay- view room. The upgrade is well worth it, and corner rooms are especially lovely.
1 Thank jverdun
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for rating us so highly. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your newly renovated room with the bay view. I hope you'll stay with us again in the future.
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Hotel is very nice and the room are clean. Nice restaurant for breakfast. Great bar with very good appetizers. Wish Starbucks kiosk was open in the afternoon. Staff was helpful and friendly. Reserve a bay view room. It is worth the few extra dollars.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Charlotte0518
Rene B, Director of Sales at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. I hope you'll stay with us again.
Springboro, Ohio
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed one night to check out Monterey, CA. The staff was very friendly and greeted us each time as we passed by. We had a great bay-view room that was especially good when the sun rose in the morning. The hotel is newer looking and was very clean. Breakfast was full and good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
I'm so happy that you found our service, food, and location to be to your liking. It's great that you got to enjoy a great view. Thank you and I hope you'll stay with us again.
Southwest Florida
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel. Very comfortable and clean. To those who complain about the 'hidden fees', do your research first! I was expecting the 24$ valet fee and knew about the wireless charge in advance -- although it is pricey, if u kno about it in advance its much easier to swallow. I would have a less than favorable comment about the dated bathrooms, but I know they are in the process of remodeling ALL the bathrooms, so i was not bothered by this at all. Overall, very happy with my stay at this Marriott

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NicoleR1983
Rene B, Director of Sales at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your review. Other travelers will certainly benefit from your honest assessment. I hope you'll be able to stay with us again after all of our bathrooms have been remodeled. Again, thank you.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The staff was very nice upon arrival. They ensured all of my needs were met and I was able to find somewhere to adventure for that night. The room was very clean and the view was great. My only complain would be that the bed was a little harder than I would prefer at night. Would definitely stay here again given the opportunity.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
I really appreciate your review and am glad you enjoyed your stay. I wish you would have found the bed more comfortable but am happy that it did not detract from your experience. Thank you very much and I hope you'll stay with us again.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed over a weekend as part of our week vacation. Though we partially chose the property due to the fact I was using Marriott points for one of the nights, we were very happy with the choice. Upon check-in we were upgraded to a water view with small balcony. Our room had a renovated bathroom (they a working to renovate all the bathrooms currently) and nice views of the Monterey Bay.

The bed was very comfortable, there was complimentary water in the room, and a refrigerator that we used to store some beverages. The shower is nice, though the hot water was noticeable "cooler" if you showered late afternoon. The staff was very pleasant and helpful, starting with the valet and bellman teams.

The location is excellent to see Monterey, with only a short walk to Fisherman's Wharf or a nice one mile stroll down the greenway along the water to Cannery Row. Around the hotel you'll find a Starbucks, several bars, a French bakery 4 blocks away, and a Walgreens (in case you forget any toiletries). You are also minutes from Hwy 1 to visit Carmel-By-The-Sea for dinner, etc., or the many other beautiful sights the Monterey Peninsula has to offer.

There is a charge for WiFi, but unfortunately that seems to have become the norm at hotels these days.

Overall, a nice hotel that I can recommend to those looking to stay in Monterey.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
I'm very happy that we could be a part of your California vacation. I'm also very glad that we could give you one of our recently renovated rooms with a beautiful view of Monterey Bay. I hope you were able to explore the best attractions of our wonderful city and the surrounding area while you were here. Thank you for your great review and recommendation. - Rene