“One of Monterey's Best Hotels” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Denver
“One of Monterey's Best Hotels”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I have had three stays at the Monterey Marriott and look forward to my next stay. From the moment you drive up, the excellent service starts (you can valet or self-park at a near-by parking garage to save money). Registration is quick and the staff goes the extra yard to answer questions about restaurants, attractions, etc. The recent remodel is complete or at least is nearly done because I have not noticed any noise. Rooms are exceptionally clean and there's plenty of space - see my tips on this for the best room numbers. It's location is a short walk to Fisherman's Wharf and the walking path to Cannery Row. Note, if you like to jog, walk or bike, this paved path is fantastic with phenomenal views, especially if you go south on the path. I prefer this hotel's location over the Monterey Plaza and Monterey Bay Inn which are also fantastic properties. The Portola Hotel is directly across the street from the Marriott, but this is an older property.

The Marriott Monterey is very well managed and you will find it on par with the elite JW Marriott properties. Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: The very best rooms are 815 and 814 - these are multi-level suites with two balconies and about 1200...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank WorldBeachTraveler
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for calling us one of the best hotels in Monterey. I appreciate you continuing to stay with us and I'm sure your tips will benefit other guests. Thanks again, I look forward to having you stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Fabulous hotel! This is the best of Marriott---service, room, location, sumptuous breakfast buffet. From the time we arrived at the door and handed our rental car off to the friendly valet, to the moment we left, which seemed all too soon after 5 nights, we were thrilled with our stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. I'm delighted to hear that you had a fabulous time at our hotel and hope you choose us again in the future.
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Had a great stay here. Fantastic downtown location was walking distance to several restaurants and the Fisherman's Wharf. All of the staff here - valet, front desk, housekeeping and restaurant - were overly friendly and accommodating. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Stayed on the city side of the hotel. There is a pub just across the street. It was a little noisy...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
I'm pleased to hear about your stay with us. I'm glad the staff treated you so well and I look forward to having you stay with us again. Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

The receptionist told us at our arrival that there were some building works from 8am in the morning (that is why we got a good deal on Booking) but we ddin't hear a thing and slept like babies. We also went to the pool and the jacuzzi, all was great, would reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LeilaMauro
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
I'm glad to hear that you weren't disrupted by our renovations. Thank you for your recommendation and I hope you stay with us again.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Seeking reliable lodging on a road trip down hwy 1. Clean spacious room - 1king bed - remodeled travertine bathroom - only a shower - which got the floor all wet. $valet parking only (public parking a block away). As marriotts go this was average - location was key, but in future I think looking to a place w/better value - like complimentary breakfast & cheaper parking - for the price paid.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your thoughts.. I appreciate your feedback.
Northern California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is our second stay at the Monterey Marriott this year. Ofcourse, service was great. Valet was prompt but feel the valet charge was a little high for location of hotel.

Decent walk to cannery row activities but short walk to fisherman s wharf. Some upscale places to eat all around and some fun looking places behind the Portola across the street.
We stayed during a remodeling period and we had no problems with noise as it looks they have planned well in keeping guest ps opposite of remodel area.

I believe our bathroom was a completed remodel and bravo Marriott, the update tile in shower surround looks great! I believe we also had a the update air conditioning units and the room was very comfortable,

My negative is the conjoined rooms. We had a conjoined room door and sadly it really does not help keep noise down especially since our neighbors were quite loud at very late hours, otherwise we never hear our neighbors or above during our stays. We also noticed LOTS of cords and our 3 year old quickly found the loaded up power strip just laying next to the night stand. Also had a phone cord strung across floor near window to the desk. Simple fix I believe marriott just needs to be aware of major hazards there.

Marriott always feels cozy for us!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I will inform the staff so that they are more aware of this in the future. I am glad our remodeling was not bothersome to you. Thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you again.
Quincy, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott for our 10 year anniversary. We met at Characters there but had never stayed there before. We arrived in the morning well before check in time but Issandra welcomed us with open arms and offered us an upgrade to a nice room if we would be patient and wait a bit. They stored our luggage for us and we went to Characters to have a drink and reminisce. We were surprised there by a nice anniversary card signed by the entire front desk staff along with a drink coupon! So sweet! After a bit our room was ready, and we certainly were not disappointed. Justin checked us in and just like Issandra he was full of superb customer service. They were both exceptional, and you could tell that they were genuinely kind people. Anyway, we had room 436, and it was huge! We had a large balcony with a beautiful view of the bay. The hot tub was very hot and awesome after a long hike. He buffet breakfast was absolutely delicious! We didn't have very hot water in our shower, but other than that everything was wonderful! Thanks for the great stay!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mirvmire1227
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Wow, it's fantastic that we were the setting in which you met your husband and I think it's incredibly sweet for you to return for your 10 year anniversary. I am delighted to hear that our staff was able to add to such a special occasion. I will definitely pass along your kind words. I wish you many more happy years and certainly look forward seeing you again in the future.