“Convenient!”

Ranked #15 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
New York / New Jersey
“Convenient!”
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a room on the fourth floor overlooking the bay. The room was updated, clean, spacious and the king bed was very comfortable. You will be right at the Bay where you can choose from great restaurants and shops. Hopefully you can see the Seals and sea lions all crowded on the little plank in the bay! Also...right across the street is GG spa. As of this review a one hour foot massage is $25! Seriously! Four of us were so grateful that we chose to end our day there! Pampered and relaxed!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for your great tips. A foot massage definitely sounds like a great way to end a day! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Of the choices in the Marriott brand, when staying in Monterey I prefer to stay at the Monterey Marriott. It much surpasses the Residence Inn and Courtyard in Salinas. The rates can be quite high depending on groups in-house, which is the only reason I wouldn't stay here.

The reason this hotel just gets 3 stars is how it compares to Marriott's in general. Though I believe the property has been renovated, it still has the feeling of being dated. It certainly has a comfortable bed (standard for Marriott), though the rest of the decor is average. I've only dined in the restaurant for breakfast, which was included with my platinum elite status, and the food was also average.

As I recall, the service was solid and people were friendly.

The location is great, though parking is costly.

I've stayed here several times and will definitely stay again as I am a loyal Marriott customer.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moonsun_kauai
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
I appreciate you being a loyal guest. Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your thoughts about our hotel. I look forward to having you stay with us again.
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Was there for a conference from Feb 9-12. Reserved room got mixed up. We were given our "Ocean view" on the 5th floor only because I insisted that the reservation was made as early as November last year. The front desk was hesitant to give the ocean view room but she eventually said, " I have to bump out another person" and something about PassKey made the error.

We went to our room only to find out that the room was not vacuumed (neither was the area near the elevators) and it was not really an ocean view. We found two candy wrappers on the floor. It would barely pass as "partial ocean view". For almost the same amount we paid for, we got better service in another hotel which was next to the ocean (rated #2 in Monterey), a real ocean view, came with free breakfast and wi-fi in the convenience of our room (you don't have to be in the lobby) and the rooms were clean/well-maintained. Also, to think we have reserved months in advance for a King Bed and they were unable to grant this request, makes me think this is why conferences get discount rates because you don't really get what you request for and other "elite" guests are preferred.

The front desk personnel was initially obviously irked by our persistence but later on, we managed to clear the air. I understand her frustration about the error made by a third party. She eventually understood where I was coming from when I explained to her that I wanted to make this a mini-vacation for my family because we had a rough year last year.

However, I feel that that it was not worth what we paid for. Disappointed that our mini-vacation started off on a bad note. We will not be staying there again nor be recommending the place to family/friends/colleagues/organization who created the conference.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
I am disappointed to hear of your experience and am sending you a private message now. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Los Angeles, California, USA
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We want to thank Marriott for giving us an amazing long weekend while we celebrate our new marriage during Valentine's Day. Though they were really busy with catering to the guests attending a local conference that happened to be held across the street, they were still able to pay attention to us non-conference guests. We had a lovely "Elite" Suite complete with a bottle of champagne and chocolate-dipped-strawberries. It was such a nice touch and left an impression that we would never forget. They also gave us complimentary continental breakfast with the buffet upgrades. They really made a difference in our first-time in Monterey experience. I would not fail to mention the amazing downtown location, walking distance to the Fisherman's Wharf, just cross the walkway bridge to go check out the historical Portola Hotel (beautiful and a must see). If you have a car or reserved a tour, the Cannery Row and Monterey Bay Aquarium is only 5 minutes drive from the hotel.

The only downside was during our stay, the couple next door was arguing loudly throughout the night (3am). There is a connecting door in our room that links to the next room, and they were standing in front of their side of the connecting door, which is why we could hear them more. We had a hard time sleeping.

Also felt that the room could be designed a little better. There was a weird hole cut out of the shower's glass wall, which we thought was for turning on the shower without being in the shower, but it also allowed water to spray out into the toilet area, wetting the toilet paper. The other thing they could have done better is adding more towel hangers. The only one available was inside the shower (???)

Room Tip: Sign up as a Marriott Rewards member, the more you travel with them the higher your points level and...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Congratulations on your wedding! Thank you so much for staying with us for such a momentous occasion. It's great to hear that you had such a wonderful experience. I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. I wish you a long and happy marriage, and certainly hope to welcome you back in the future.
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We love Marriott's and were happy to stay in Monterey. The staff was really friendly and helpful right down to the last person. Good location for walking around the town. I really hope we will be able to return for fun and take the grandkids to the aquarium.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for your stay and for the compliments to our staff. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is a great place to spend the day with the family. I hope you come stay with us again.
san Francisco
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was helping my parents plan a special trip and needed help from the hotel, Justin Kelly was very kind and helpful. My parents had a warm and sincere welcome and a wonderful stay, great service beautiful room and were very pleased with the kindness of all the staff.

Room Tip: Ask the staff for help, they are vey kind and enjoy the chance to help the guests.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joebobjohn
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
I am so glad to hear we were able to give your parents a wonderful stay. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to Justin.
Denver
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I have had three stays at the Monterey Marriott and look forward to my next stay. From the moment you drive up, the excellent service starts (you can valet or self-park at a near-by parking garage to save money). Registration is quick and the staff goes the extra yard to answer questions about restaurants, attractions, etc. The recent remodel is complete or at least is nearly done because I have not noticed any noise. Rooms are exceptionally clean and there's plenty of space - see my tips on this for the best room numbers. It's location is a short walk to Fisherman's Wharf and the walking path to Cannery Row. Note, if you like to jog, walk or bike, this paved path is fantastic with phenomenal views, especially if you go south on the path. I prefer this hotel's location over the Monterey Plaza and Monterey Bay Inn which are also fantastic properties. The Portola Hotel is directly across the street from the Marriott, but this is an older property.

The Marriott Monterey is very well managed and you will find it on par with the elite JW Marriott properties. Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: The very best rooms are 815 and 814 - these are multi-level suites with two balconies and about 1200...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank WorldBeachTraveler
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for calling us one of the best hotels in Monterey. I appreciate you continuing to stay with us and I'm sure your tips will benefit other guests. Thanks again, I look forward to having you stay with us again.