“Overpriced and "tired"”

Monterey Bay Inn
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I have been a Tripadvisor member for quite some time and rely on this site for good information and up until now I have been pleased with results of my research. After returning from our trip I checked this hotels' reviews again to see if I had made a mistake when booking. There are so many hotels with similar names that I was afraid I had booked the wrong hotel! We were at the right hotel.

THE HOTEL : Doing my research, I had read in several reviews that the exterior of the hotel was "deceiving" and that once I got into the hotel I would see a difference. I did not! The hotel is extremely "tired" both inside and out. Small reception area, old elevator and corridors . Ambience very poor. 2.5 stars at best.

THE ROOM: We apparently had the 2nd best room in the entire hotel.. ..and believe me we paid top $$ for it! The room was spacious. Nice fireplace and small balcony facing the ocean. Thankfully, the bed itself was very comfortable. The other furnishings were uncomfortable and decor ...again "tired". Yes, bathroom sinks were nice and new, but the rest of the bathroom fixtures (tub, etc) were not upgraded. Really needs a facelift.

BREAKFAST was served in the room. No restaurant available, no room in the reception area for continental breakfast. Staff was friendly and prompt. Quality of the food, typical continental style.

OVERALL: There are much nicer hotels in this area which are priced better. The hotel next door had a beautiful lobby, live entertainment nightly. The ambience was far superior. We would have moved if we had had an extended stay.

I had to give a 3 star rating to this hotel, but I was tempted to give a two star rating only because of the price. If we had paid 1/2 the price for this room/hotel it would have been acceptable, but for these prices choose another hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,662)

Reviewed 9 September 2011

enough variety of restaurants-tops:sardine factory-specials were truly reasonable.29.99 . louis l???-on Cannery row-from pizza to pasta-fish-crabs-very reasonable.

Monterey Bay inn:knowledgable, friendly personnel.Beach and kayaking next door,
hot tubs(2),quiet,balconies,clean, modern, spacious interior,complementary bkft delivered hot and fresh baked pastry. location is not squeezed in.yet walkable to all points of interest.expensive, but not more than others in area. felt so comfortable-like home.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We only stayed for one night in a harbor view room. We were greeted by a harbor seal sitting on a rock in the morning & pigeons after we offered food to them. The bed was very comfortable & cozy, the room was very clean. Our son enjoyed the breakfast served in the room and requests for room service wherever we go now! It was a bit pricey, but I firmly believe that you get what you pay for! It was walking distance to the aquarium and many restaurants. I am writng this review quite late & remembered to do so when my son asked for us to return to 'the hotel where I fed the pigeons & had room service'! Thank you for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Devota
Reviewed 5 September 2011

My husband and I began our 35th-anniversary trip to California in the Monterey peninsula and stayed for two nights at the Monterey Bay Inn, which is ideally situated for sightseeing and walking. We mentioned upon booking that it was our anniversary and, much to our delight, found in our room a chilled bottle of wine, chocolates, and a card signed by the staff. They were very helpful in suggesting restaurants and providing walking directions.
Our room was spacious, with a balcony and we especially loved the bathroom (toilet behind a separate door, good water pressure in the shower, dual sinks). The bed was a little too soft for our liking, but we were out and about so much during the day that we slept extremely well anyway.
In anticipation of this trip I read Steinbeck's "Cannery Row," so, even though very little of its original function and buildings remain, it was meaningful to be staying right there. We weren't bothered by any outside noise while sleeping and we enjoyed walking over to the wharf to view the sea lions and watch the kayakers and the brave souls in wetsuits who swam in the chilly water. It was cool much of the time we were in the area (59 degrees seemed to be a popular number), and I'm glad I brought layers to wear. No need for a/c in the room, that's for sure! We would definitely return to the Monterey Bay Inn if we visit that area again.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

My wife and I stayed for the week of Aug29- Sept04. What a great location for walking to Cannery Row, but far enough away to be quiet and relaxing. The hotel and rooms are very clean, with beautiful views from every room and parking was always very easy at the hotel. Did we mention how great the staff are!!! The continental breakfast is adequate to get you going in the morning and the service was right on time. Perfect location to the piers, wharf and main roads to get you around and sighseeing. Go to Giannis Pizza, nice walk and well worth it. This restaurant was recommended by staff as where the locals all go to eat and it was inceredible. We would definitely stay again.

Reviewed 1 September 2011

Booked a room online and was upgraded to an oceanfront room when we arrived. Everything was fabulous! Loved the location...close enough to walk to attractions but far away enough for real peace & quiet. Room was spacious and comfortable. Breakfast was fabulous...and delivered right to your door. Will recommend this hotel and hope to return soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed at the Inn for 3 nights in June and were very fortunate to have a 'Corner Panoramic View' guestroom. The standard of acommodation was excellent and the views from the room outstanding. This room provided wonderful views directly out to sea plus a balcony on the side to view the harbour. The price of the room may seem a little expensive but well worth the money.They even provide you with binoculars to watch the sea lions & otters playing just below. Don't be put off by the exterior which appears a little austere as the interior is extremely comfortable and inviting. The reception staff were very pleasant & helpful and the standard of cleaning very high. If we had to come up with a negative point it would be difficult as the only thing we could say was that the contiental breakfast was a bit average.
The location is excellent as everything is within easy walking distance. All in all a fab few days.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple