“Beautiful, quiet and walking distance to everything..”
Review of Monterey Bay Inn

Monterey Bay Inn
Ranked #5 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Galt, California
“Beautiful, quiet and walking distance to everything..”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This was our third trip here and our second time staying at this hotel in the last 7 years. Monterey bay inn never fails us and the ocean view rooms have beautiful views. You can hear the ocean crash against the rocks and hear the sea lions by the wharf.. Which we love! This hotel is in the middle of everything, is a short distance to cannery row and the wharfs. The spa on the fourth floor is small but a great view surrounding you, overlooking the ocean. The only thing I can complain about is the continental breakfast doesn't have much to choose from but its great they bring it up to your room.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank mike p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
Bermagui, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I came across this hotel by chance after a long days drive. As soon as you enter the hotel you feel relaxed due to beautiful location, trendy decor and low key friendly welcoming staff. Great room, good beside lighting which is rare. Very comfortable bed and nice little balcony. Best bathroom ever with again great lighting. To top it off, they delivered a free breakfast to the room with very good coffee! Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter C
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here the night of 11/2/13. I looked at many hotels in Monterey and I think this is the best value and nicest place for the price. Our room was contemporary with an updated bathroom. The Aveda toiletries were a nice touch as were the fluffy towels. Bed was very comfortable and there was a mini fridge as well to keep your water and wine chilled. Beautiful view of the water/beach and marina. The hotel is within walking distance of Cannery Row and many restaurants and shops on Fishermans Wharf as other posters have commented. So overall a great location, good hotel with friendly staff and breakfast delivered to you each morning. An A+ in my book! Would definitely stay again and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Indy
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed only one night, on a side trip from our week in San Francisco. It was a Friday night, Nov 1. The view from our 3rd floor king suite of the harbor was very scenic and I think better than the ocean view rooms. The hotel was built in, I am guessing, the 70s. I however, it has been upgraded (probably many times) and is very fresh and quite stylish. The room and furnishings do not disappoint.
We left the terrace door cracked open all night to hear the sea lions and the waves. Traffic noise was minimal to none. The location at the end of the row of buildings and next to the park and beach is probably the best on Cannery Row. It is actually about a 2 block walk to Cannery Row.
Parking cost was minimal, only $15.
All in all, the location and the view were well worth the price. No on site dining available. I prefer that as it makes us stroll down and back to dinner.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Having started our California visit with 4 nights in San Francisco, this is a very nice place to relax and stay in a charming seaside resort.
Great location on Cannery Row with the harbour a mere stroll away, along with everything else.
Very helpful staff, large and comfortable room and a super balcony to sit on at the end of the evening looking out to sea. The sea lions add the background music whilst you sit there - very enchanting...!
Breakfast delivered to your room at a time of your choice and was really good - nice one.
I notice some reviewers mentioning dark and dingy corridors - well I have to say that it never crossed my mind so perhaps either this is overplayed a little or my powers of observation are not great!
While you browse around the town you really need to visit the aquarium - absolutely wonderful and I have never seen such beautiful surroundings for all kinds of marine life anywhere else and certainly of a much higher quality of anything I have seen in the UK or Europe.
A meal overlooking the sea and watching Sea Otters with their young ones, blissfully peaceful...
Carmel as a resort next door is also well worth visiting - very few people wandering the beautiful beaches when we were there.
So if you are looking for a peaceful couple of days by the sea - I think you will really like Monterey and the Monterey Bay Inn.
Enjoy

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sandyman57
IOM-ManagerResponse, General Manager at Monterey Bay Inn, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear sandyman57,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I’m so glad you found our staff so helpful, that you enjoyed the beautiful bay views, and that you found the wildlife so enchanting. A peaceful stay at the Monterey Bay Inn is just the thing to recharge while experiencing the natural beauty of the Bay. Thank you for mentioning your enjoyment of our complimentary breakfast. I’m pleased that you found our breakfast satisfying!

I think that our world-class views of the bay and our excellent location on Cannery Row means that guests such as yourself can enjoy everything that Monterey has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back for another great Monterey Bay experience.

Regards,

The General Manager
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Just returned home from a two night stay to celebrate my husband's birthday. Others have referred to the dreary appearance of the hallways but we were told that the carpets were being replaced and would be finished by the end of the year. Once in Room 415, it was very nicely done and we were pleased with the furnishings and attention to detail. A nice and surprising touch was the bottle of chardonnay and box of chocolates with a birthday card from staff. They were very helpful and friendly. There are some areas of the property that still need work but our stay was a really nice experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We visited the Monterey area at the end of October as a family vacation and were pleasantly surprised by how wonderful it was.

As others have said- after walking through the hallways you wonder if you have really come to a place worth the money you have paid. Though I wouldn't call the hallways dingy, I would say they are out of date, however our rooms were on the third floor, and I noticed that the hallway on the second floor seemed much more updated.

We paid the extra money to stay in an ocean front room, and it could not have been closer to the ocean (though it is the bay!) without being in the water! Sitting on the balcony and watching the otters and sea lions swim past, as well as all the different types of birds, was a great experience. We joked about the fact that the hotel leaves you a relaxing disc in your room, titled "Sounds of Monterey Bay" but, if you are there at at a time when it is warm enough to leave the door cracked at night, you have the pleasure of listening to waves crashing & sea lions barking. Very relaxing!!

The rooms were large and comfortable. The beds were great! As a family they were accommodating enough to give us adjoining rooms, which worked out very well for us.
The bed was incredibly comfortable, and the bathroom was huge. Overall the rooms seemed really up to date, and all offered a balcony which was lovely. Breakfast is continental, however it's delivered to your room instead of the typical breakfast room situation. It seemed that daily they offer a hard boiled egg, pastries (which were different the days we were there) yogurt, and fruit, coffee and juice.. All was delicious!

As for the hot tubs- when we visited the 4th floor hot tub, there was lots of sand in/around the hot tub, which was a big turn off, but must assume it had blown in from the shore, because otherwise I don't know how it would have gotten there. The hot tub on the 2nd floor is adjoined to a big courtyard with tables and a (gas) fire pit. We enjoyed sitting by the fire one night and chatting with some other hotel guests. This hot tub also did not offer any sand! It is more enclosed than the one on the 4th floor.

The location is excellent as it is an easy walk down Cannery Row to different shops and restaurants. Also a quick drive to Carmel and to the Pacific Coast Highway-to Big Sur- which was a bucket list item I was happy to cross off!

I would definitely return! My main piece of advice to people looking to stay here may be to not spend a lot of extra money on "ocean front." While ocean front was great, it appeared to me that ocean view was pretty nice as well- not just a tiny peek of water as some hotels may offer, this truly seemed like a very nice view with similar perks as to those who paid a lot more to have the ocean front.

I hope to return here someday! It WAS worth the money!

Stayed October 2013