“The Only Place I'll Stay In Monterey!”
Review of Monterey Bay Inn

Monterey Bay Inn
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stockton Calif
“The Only Place I'll Stay In Monterey!”
Reviewed 1 March 2009

I had planned on just a one night stay, but after becoming so enamored with the hotel and it's location, I decided to stay another night. Juliana, the front desk clerk, made all the arrangements for me. What a great personality and work ethic! The room was immaculate, comfortable, and worth every penny.
Rather than being boxed in, the location next to San Carlos Beach with the bay at the rear gives more of a natural connection to Monterey Bay. Plus it's centrally located between the shops, restaurants, and aquarium of Cannery Row and the old time ambience (and great restaurants) of Fisherman's Wharf.
While a thoroughly modern hotel, it seems to exude a hominess that makes you look forward to returning after a day of adventure. There may be newer hotels with valet parking, but I'll settle for parking my own car over nouveau-chic pretentiousness any day.
I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Quixoticwanderer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
Burbank, California
Reviewed 1 March 2009

We really enjoyed our stay here, (rm 414) I had taken my wife away for a couple of days, we were tired when we arrived, check-in was quick and when we got to the room the sun was just setting, my wife was very impressed with the full ocean view, the sound of the waves and gulls (gulls can be loud at times but didn't bother us) filled the room. The front desk gave us a great recommendation on dinner (The Fish Hopper) then after dinner we went back to the room to relax and crash. As talked about in other reviews the outside of the inn does not reflect the rooms, (very spa like). After a good nights sleep we woke to an ocean view from our bed, we could see sea otters, sea lions and dolphins from our balcony!!!! Awesome!!!! There is a tv in the bedroom but you will spend all of your time looking at the view!

We really liked the feel of the bathroom but it was quite cold in the morning as no heat from the room really makes it into the bathroom. Bring slippers if you don't like cold floors. The biggest disappointment was the water pressure in the shower, it was quite weak and the water was "soft" so it felt like you never really got the shampoo or soap off you completely.

The only other issue we had was, even though it was very quiet, I could hear/feel people walking around in the room next to us. The floors were creaky.

One more note: they charge for parking ($13 a day) and for wi-fi ($10 a day). In our opinion these should be complimentary! They do offer a continental breakfast every morning delivered to your room at no charge for registered guests. The food was fresh and the coffee was great!

All in all we had a great stay (the room had more pros than cons) and look forward to the next time can make it to Monterey!!!! We highly recommend the Monterey Bay Inn!

california
Reviewed 27 February 2009

This hotel has become one of my favorite places to stay. The staff is great, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the location is very convenient as you can easily walk to cannery row and fishermans warf. But best of all is the view, from our room and balcony we watched dolfin, otters, seals and even saw a whale. This is one of the rare hotels where I felt comfortable using the hot tub it has a great view overlooking the bay and was kept sparkling clean. What a great place to relax and enjoy the bay. My husband and I have traveled a lot and this rates right at the top of the places we have stayed. We will return.

Central NJ, USA
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Perhaps my experience at the Monterey Bay Inn was a result of staying at a "romantic hotel for two" with two kids, but it wasn't all that I had hoped for given the price. Though the hotel was obviously far from full we were given a room at the end (203) which barely had a view of the ocean. Most any other room down the hall would have had a nicer view. Ours was mainly of bushes. You had to stand up against the wall to look out towards the ocean. The room was large, comfortable and nicely appointed, and the bath room was huge and gorgeous, but the pullout couch was very noisy with squeaky springs. Even though I had been forewarned about the paucity of the breakfast, I was still disappointed. After filling out the form for three people in the room, we were given just one plate, two forks and three spoons. The coffee and tea were cold. The muffin was soggy and I'd expect better than a Lender's bagel for the price of the room. It was an easy walk to the Aquarium, and the hot tub on the roof was nice.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank rubberbandeffect
California
Reviewed 18 February 2009

We went to Monterey to watch the ATT&T ProAm. The day of our arrival we were able to check in early (around 10:30AM) which made our day so much easier. We were able to park the car at the hotel, catch the bus, and see as much of the tournament as we could. After a day of walking around Poppy Hills and Pebble Beach, it was heaven to settle into a feather bed. The best night's sleep I have ever had in a hotel! The hotel is located on Cannery Row which enabled us to walk to restaurants and the Aquarium in the area without ever moving our car. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Monterey and I wouldn't think twice about staying here again. It's a jewel.

Merced, CA
Reviewed 17 February 2009

I took my fiance up for her birthday. We were only there one night but it was amazing. When you first see the hotel you kind of think it may be kinda shoody on the inside and not live up to its pictures. But once you step inside, its simple outter apperance is erased from your mind by there beautiful lobby. Even the elevator was decorated! We were on the forth floor which is an open hallway, so once you step out of the elevator if its cold and windy your gonna feel it. The room was spacious and beautiful and no matter how many pictures you see online the view from the balcony is 10x better when you actually see it! You can hear the waves crashing and the seagulls all night and day. We kept our balcony door open the whole time we were there but if you dont like the noise the glass is thick enough that you can still get a good night sleep. Its located only a couple of blocks from all the cannery row attractions. Good walking distance. It was a great getaway for us as a couple but i didnt really see to many familys there.

LaJolla
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Don't let the unimposing front entrance fool you. Great rooms on the water. Very private and the balconies literally go right over the bay. Feels like you are sitting in a large cabin on a cruise ship looking out over the water. Rooms are modern and well appointed. Great large bathrooms. Front desk staff was very nice.

Stayed January 2009, travelled on business