“awesome view and bathroom”
Review of Monterey Bay Inn

Monterey Bay Inn
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Massachusetts
“awesome view and bathroom”
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We really enjoyed our weekday stay. The view was awesome looking out over the bay! The wireless internet cost 10.00 and the parking cost 13.00 per night for each so add that to the cost of the room. The room we had was terrific! The bathroom was amazing with the double sink and the tile all over, the toilet was seperate from the rest of the room which was nice. The jacuzzi style tub had a view of the beach area. The shower was completely enclosed in glass. The gas fireplace was a great feature. We listened to the waves which broke just beneath our balcony and we watched the seals from the same balcony (our complimentary binoculars worked great). We were on our honeymoon and the hotel had some wine in the room waiting for us.....THANK YOU! The breakfast was delicious. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
ofallon
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Our room had the perfect view over the ocean. We sat on the balcony sipping cocktails while watching sea lions and sea otters play in the ocean what seemed like right outside our room. The staff was very friendly and helpful...the room was clean and very nice. Would highly recommend this place.

palm spirngs
Reviewed 30 June 2009

My husband and I visited the Monterey Bay area and were told about the hotel by a friend. He and his wife loved it. We thought we'd give it a try. We had a third floor, ocean view room. Great room, really great bathroom! The bed was super comfy with lots of pillows. The ocean breeze came in all night as did the sound of the waves below. It was awesome. Then, breakfast arrived! Complimentary! We didn't have to get dressed and go out. What a convenience. We had a great stay and ate at Bubba Gumps just a few blocks away. The only draw back was the Sardine Factory was recommended for dinner and we got there and it was so boring. My husband said, "It's like a funeral home, let's get outta here!" So we found a place a lot more fun. Other than that, our trip was great. I highly recommend it!! Don't forget your swim suit, there is a jacuzzi on the fourth floor that is one you shouldn't miss!

Fremont
Reviewed 30 June 2009

The place was very nice and they even gave us a free upgrade. My girlfriend fell in love with the view. The only thing I wasnt very satisfied about was the free breakfast I wish they had a better selection of food.

Banff National Park, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2009

First of all great view, we saw Sea Otters outside everyday.

The hotel provides binoculars (however these were broken, so bring your own).

This hotel nickels and dimes you. $13 for parking per day. $10 per day for wireless (which is unreliable, and the front desk already know it's very poor, they told me it's been like that for months, but yet they don't address it).

If you don't like the hotel when you arrive (a likely possibility), they make sure before you've seen you're room that you sign an agreement to pay them money if you leave for any reason.

When booking I was told by Wayne, that they would address my wife's food allergies for breakfast. However when we arrived, we were told by the same Wayne, that there was nothing he could do because the woman
who made the continental breakfasts only spoke spanish and he wasn't able to communicate with her. Had we been told this when we booked,
we would have gone somewhere else.

We ask for no melon twice for breakfast on the door hanger, got melon anyway (even wrote it in Spanish one day)

One day, we didn't receive breakfast. We phoned after half an hour, was told by the front desk that they would find out and immediately phone back. They didn't. Phoned another 1/2 later, getting hungry and a little upset my time was being wasted. Got breakfast 15 mins later. Breakfast took 1 3/4 hours to arrive.

When it did arrive, they first off accused me of not putting the hanger on the door by midnight ( I did). When I was insistent that I had, they then told me that someone must have stolen the "hanger" from the door between 11:30pm and 12am, because they couldn't have possibly lost
it. It would have sat better with me if they had have just admitted their mistake instead of making stuff up. Incidentally don't expect them to apologize for anything, they just make excuses.

Everybody hangs their hangers on the door by 12am, they get taken and an offsite woman makes the breakfast and they deliver them next day. I.E. There is no room service. Room service is brought in from external locations. (kind of like meals on wheels)

Hotel advertises a turn down service, this only happened 2 nights out of the 3. Tea / Coffee wasn't replenished. Bath wasn't cleaned one day. Corridors aren't regularly cleaned. Found pins in the carpet on arrival. Place looks tired. Walls and floors are paper thin (you can hear
the parking lot, the people next door and the people above you including their conversations). No A/C.

Personally if I was paying $80 per night I would expect this. But at close to $300 per night, I expect better. If you take issue with anything, their
standard response is that every hotel on Cannery Row is the same
(i.e. just as bad)

When I pointed out the issues, the manager did credit the wireless charge and $20 for the breakfast inconvenience, but I felt she wasn't interested in listening to the issues and where they could improve for their future customers.

2 Thank zzzzzz95
Houston
Reviewed 26 June 2009

This was a return trip to share the Monterey Bay Inn with our daughter and son-in-law. Reserved rooms with the Bay view - otters , fisherman's wharf and the bay! Staff was attentive helping with directions, reservations and a golf outing. The onsite Spa offered wonderful massages.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Our room on the side of the building was one of the cheaper ones, but was still a lovely room and the spacious bathroom was truly excellent. The location great and parking ideal. The room service breakfast was very good. I would recommend the hotel to anyone wishing to stay in Monterey and use it as a base to explore the local area.