“A wonderful waters edge place”
Review of Spindrift Inn

Spindrift Inn
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Great service from the time we arrived. Very pleasant and helpful staff. The recommendation for dinner was spot on. We where staying there during cool weather and the wood burning fireplace was very enjoyable, with a good supply of well seasoned wood available. The room was spacious, spotless and very comfortable. Sitting on the window seat with the fire crackling with the sun setting over Monterey bay was just wonderful.

Room Tip: Definetly get a corner room on the second floor
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,016)

Reviewed 19 May 2011

I have stayed at the Monterey Plaza, Spindrift TOPS it!... The attention given was superb compared to the Plaza. I will no longer stay at the Plaza on future visits. Renae was terrific. She was pleasant and helpful not only prior to my arrival but remained so once I arrived. It was a pleasure working with her. Glen was great! He not only valet parked my upon arrival, he took my bags to my room, set up the DVD player and helped me set up the internet connection. Always so very pleasant. It was wonderful having the continental breakfast delivered to the room at the time I wanted.. They even started the fireplace for me. I had an oceanview room on the 4th floor which helped to keep the noise level from the beach below liveable( it was not super loud). The only negative I need to comment on was on my check out day when my car picked up for me the back of the seat was adjusted to leaning back. I am fine with the seat being slid back to accommodate the driver but getting in and the entire seat out of adjustment was not acceptable to me

Room Tip: Book an ocean view room for a more quiet stay
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Tuffi56
Reviewed 19 May 2011

My guy and I went to Monterey for a (way too) short weekend, May 13th through the 15th and stayed two nights at the Spindrift Inn in Monterey.

PARKING:
Parking was a little tricky to figure out at first as we arrived (in a rental car) late Friday evening and street parking was PACKED. What confused us was that the hotel loading zone in front of the door was full (fits about 2-3 cars max) and we were unable to stop in the middle of the street due to high traffic volume. After a few laps we were able to get into the 'loading zone' and at that rate we decided to valet the car for the $20/day.

While the $20/day was steep... feeding a meter and dealing with pay lots would have been too much hassle for the short time we were there... all in all... worth it for us.

STAFF:
The front desk and valets were VERY friendly and helpful, not too busy to chat and were genuinely interested in what would make our stay amazing. Shout out to Paul (valet), Lorin (front desk) and Renee (front desk). Another plus here- tell them where you think you will be going for the day/what you think you will be doing- they have an awesome amount of coupons and vouchers. We did all of the wine tastings in Moneterey at a discounted (sometimes free) rate. Also these coupons got us free appetizers and discounts at several local restaurants and shops. FUN!

Unfortunately, I will say that one of the maids/people who bring breakfast to the room wasn't the most friendly... BUT everyone has their days and its not like she was altogether rude, so I'll let it slide...

ROOM:
We lucked out, or my boyfriend is craftier than I know of but we had an oceanside room on the top (4th) floor- AMAZING. Amazing views, amazing sunrises... sea otters, kayakers, fishermen. An added bonus was the supplied binoculars in the room. As it was still chilly (high 50's? rain/sun off and on) we used the wood burning fire place and slept with a window cracked to listen to the ocean.

Comfy soft bed, I loved the provided robes... I wore one probably too much.. wood ceilings, wood floors, bay windows with seating, small breakfast table, two wingbacked chairs in front of the fire, big flat screen tv (we didnt even turn it on), marble bathroom, lovely bath products, large armoire for all of your clothes... we didnt miss anything in that room.

I would imagine that rooms on the Cannery Row side would be a bit louder, our hall was quiet.

FOOD/WINE:
The breakfast they serve at Spindrift is limited and light in nature, as other reviews had said, but I loved it. I dont need a huge breakfast, we opted for the fresh fruit, orange juice, coffee and hardboiled eggs each morning. This also came with toast (surprise). I had no complaints, it was simple, fresh, on time and I didnt have to get dressed to get it (see above comment about the robe)

Wine tasting at Spindrift- awesome. Nice to mingle with other people, or opt to take it up to the rooftop deck and see the sights. (warning- watch out for hungry seagulls and be prepared to defend your cheese). Spindrift features Ventanas wine, a local Moneterey County winery and I think it was one of the better ones I tried over the weekend. We wanted to stop at the actual vineyard on our way out of town but unfortunately were pressed for time.

--Tastings--
A Taste of Monterey- They have a large selection, but you really only taste what's on the list- read: what they want to get rid of. Dont get me wrong, our 'server' was fun and the ocean views are really nice, so I would rate it #2 of the tastings... but I would have liked to have something a little more customized. We did end up buying a bottle here.

Scheid- Again, on Cannery Row, amazing wine, fun staff, cool atmosphere. Limited sitting room but sincerely enjoyed ourselves. This is where locals go- its that kinda place. We met some fun locals and ended up hanging with them for the rest of the evening.

We did other tastings but these were the best. Not that we had a bad experience in either of these.

--Food--
1) go to the Fisherman's Warf. If you walk from the Inn on the bike path its maybe a 15 minute walk, we got to see a lot of scuba divers, boats and seals. We ate lunch at the OLD FISHERMAN'S GROTTO and it was amazing. Their clam chowder- amazing- best I have ever had. We had a free appetizer and did the artichoke and the calamari- calamari was good, artichoke was okay, clam chowder was amazing. We both opted for large combo plates including scallops, shrimp, lobster, dungeness crab, two types of fish,rice and steamed veggies... it was good, dont get me wrong, but the clam chowder was the star of the show. In addition to all of this we had a bottle of wine and key lime pie for desert... ready for it? All of it cost $80. Wow.

I wish we had had more time to poke around the actual Warf, it looked cozy and after the good meal it would have been nice to digest...

2) Torritos- the mexican place you can see from the Inn. Nice scenery (right on the water), slow-ish service, okay food. Shocking that a mexican place puts calories on their menu. I fully support this, but man it made me force my boyfriend into splitting something.

3) The brewhouse place- Frankly, rude staff, slow service, not so great beer selection (Self-proclaimed micro-brew snob from Colorado, Sorry!). But the firepits outside with some good company and some wine you bring from the tasting rooms ($10 uncorking fee)= Fun night.

All in all. Spindrift Inn was the highlight of the trip, I would go back in a heartbeat. I would live there, in the Inn, not necissarily in the town, if I could. Thank you all for your wonderful service!

3  Thank LauraSpitz
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Great location, wonderful staff. The beds were very comfortable. There were no sea view rooms left when we checked in so we had just a regular room. It was a little noisy (looks out over cannery row), but our ceiling fan helped. I would stay there again. . and again, . . and again. Lovely place, and the wine and cheese were very good also.

Room Tip: Get the rooms with the sea views
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I travel often both for business and leisure. This is one of the best hotel I have ever stayed. It is very clean. The bed is extremely comfortable. Staffs are friendly and provided great customer service. Breakfast in bed is standard. I wish I would have stayed longer and recommend it to anyone who is planning to visit the aquarium.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

This hotel was conveniently located, well appointed, clean and friendly. The staff was great-
efficient, cordial, and gave great suggestions for dining.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

We arrived and was greeted warmly by the staff. Our room was fantastic. Absolutly breathtaking. We had a fireplace and a beautiful balcony view of the ocean. The breakfast was delivered to our room every morning. We were on Cannery row and right near the Aquarium and near bubba gumps..which i recommend eating at. Great place we will definintly be back.

Room Tip: get the Ocean view!!!!!!!!!!!!!