“This room was charming but smal, and no air conditioning.”
Review of Spindrift Inn

Spindrift Inn
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The staff was average in our check in. The room was charming and clean. As a southerner, coming to California , I was surprised at the warm weather at the time. We were not comfortable sleeping at all.

1  Thank chuy55
IOM-ManagerResponse, Manager at Spindrift Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2010

Thank you very much for your comments; we appreciate all of our guests’ feedback, and consider it for great value and significance to our business.

We are disappointed to hear that this guest had, or when we hear that any guest has, a less than wonderful stay at our hotel. It is our mission to provide an environment committed to personal and attentive service, and we regret any instance where a guest does not experience this. We try very hard to instill this spirit of service in all of our staff, and we take every action to correct lapses when they are discovered.

As for the weather; Monterey is, for the most part, about 70 degrees all year round. Because of this, most buildings in the area do not have air-conditioning. During a few weeks in the fall, the temperature in the area does go up, and we try very hard to accommodate our guests when the weather becomes uncomfortable for them. The hotel does have fans which we are happy to provide to guests so that they might have an easily maneuvered, eco-friendly way of staying cool.

Should any guest have an issue that they would like to speak directly to a manager about, please do not hesitate to give us a call.
Thank you again; all comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stayed here as our first stop on our honeymoon trip up the California coast. The service, rooms and atmosphere could not be more romantic. I definietely recommend the ocean view rooms. After dinner we came home, lit a fire and listened to the waves crash below our window....

Reviewed 10 October 2010

Seriously. All the details were just right - from the nice smelling bath powder in the room to the extra-comfy mattress top. Granted, this place is a little touristy - it's right in the middle of Cannery Row - but I don't really count that as a negative. There are plenty of things to do and a nearby pharmacy - not to mention the fabulous aquarium.

Yes, it's expensive on weekends - everyone from San Francisco (highest housing prices in the USA) must come here - but the price drops on weekdays. I compared pricing with the nearby Holiday Inn and the Spindrift was only about $30 more. Well worth it.

We had a Cannery view room and it was a little noisy, but not overly so (I am a SUPER LIGHT sleeper, so I would have noticed excess noise I think). The room we had wasn't enormous, but it was fine for our needs. It was clean, comfortable, cozy. Really loved the in-room fireplace and the appointments, but most especially the service - folks really went out of their way to make us feel comfortable.

I would absolutely stay here again and would probably shell out for the upgrade to the ocean view room. How often do you get to see sea lions and otters - right out your hotel window?!

I'm a Diamond member with Hilton and I stay in a lot of hotels - I'm glad all their Monterey properties were full the weekend I was there. ;) I can honestly say I loved this place.

(When in Monterey don't miss montereybaywhalewatch.com - we loved them and saw at least 10 humpbacks. We'll be back.)

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DivemistressofthDark
Reviewed 9 October 2010

My husband, 2 y.o and I stayed here for the weekend to enjoy the Aquarium. The hotel is clean and comfortable. Our room faced Cannery Row, however it was not noisy, was roomy and had a nice fireplace. I especially enjoyed the Aveda toiletries, complimentary in room breakfast and deal on Aquarium tickets (2days for the price of 1).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank KrnAndJoe
Reviewed 8 October 2010

My husband and I spent our honeymoon touring parts of California, and made a stop in Monterey after a few days in San Fransisco. While we weren't particularly taken with the area itself, the Spindrift Inn was a definite highlight of the trip. With a wood burning fire, bay windows that actually open to allow the sound of the ocean lull you to sleep, it was a very romantic stop on our trip. The 4-poster bed fulfilled many a childhood fantasy to sleep like a princess. The room was well appointed, and we received a complimentary bottle of wine in honor of our recent marriage. The staff was friendly and helpful.

If it weren't in Monterey, I know we would return for anniversaries. Well worth the price paid.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VanessaKay
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Loved staying at this small boutique hotel. Beautiful sea side room, excellent amenities and right on Cannery Row as well as a short walk to the Monterey Aquarium. Lots of nearby restaurants to choose from

Reviewed 7 October 2010

We stayed at the inn for 2 days in September and overall really enjoyed our stay there. We were in the room facing cannery row, with a fireplace. The room was extremely clean and my fiancée loved the fireplace. The breakfast service is really nice, just wish they offered more choices.

The place charges $18 for parking, but there is a daily parking for $5 a day within 2 min walk. The rooms facing cannery row gets really loud during early morning with trucks. So if you are lite sleeper like me, you will have a hard time sleep.

I would recommend this hotel to people who want to stay between everything, but next time i would prefer to stay somewhere that is a little less expensive.