“Not Bad”

Ranked #34 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Monterey, California
“Not Bad”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was specifically drawn to this hotel because of the price. The quality of the room was great. Pretty updated and nice. The breakfast was a nice treat. I was impressed at the variety of things to choose from. I did like that the room was equipped with a fridge and microwave. The location was perfect and the spa was a nice luxury... although needed a little attention. My only major complain would be that the walls were quite thin and the people next door were way too loud for way too long on a Monday night... other than that... I would definitely see myself choosing to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Management247, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Stephanie,

We are thrilled you found our rooms updated and nice. We are glad you had the opportunity to sample the many different varieties of our continental breakfast! After a long day it is nice to sit in the spa for some quite time. On behalf of our entire Comfort Inn-Monterey Bay team, we thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Warm Regards,
888-930-7666

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Korean first
Monterey, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Not centrally located as in close to downtown Monterey nor far from it but close to freeway and airport. The room was nice and was updated. The queen rooms are very small and a bit cramped. The bigger rooms are at the back of the building. When I checked in the front desk girl did not acknowledge me as a Diamond member nor did offer me a complimentary upgrade. However when I went to the front desk for the second time to see about my upgrade the gentleman who was already there upgraded me which was nice. Although he asked for some proof if I was a Diamond member and so I told him to check his computer and check my reservation where he should be able to find my elite status. I obviously educated him on the matter since he does not know the varies elite status let alone ever visited choice hotels website by the question he asked me. When I visited the breakfast room the attendant told me next time come earlier with an attitude. I do not think that's appropriate for an employee to make such comment to a paying guest who is giving her a job and be disrespectful. Rather she should have been pleasant about it and not make a big deal out of it. So management need to re-train their staff on courtesy and accommodation levels. I feel the attendant at the breakfast room is very bad mouth, rude, and have no manners at all. Overall is a nice motel other than the rude staff they have in place. I am afraid people might not want to stay again because of this. It gives a bad impression unless management permits them to behave this way for some reasons?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Armando C
Management247, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Armando,

Let me first apologize for my staff neglecting to recognize you as an Elite Diamond member. We appreciate and value our Choice Privileges guests and thank you for your loyalty to Choice Hotels. We know you have many options when you travel and we thank you for choosing Choice Hotels.

Please accept my apologies for the rudeness and unkindness of my staff members. We take great pride in providing our guests with a welcoming smile and a kind disposition. We hope you will return so that we may provide you with the caliber of service you deserve.

Best Wishes,
Monterey, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We finally arrived to Monterey after traveling 2 days from Oklahoma. It was easy enough to book a room here. The hotel look was fine. The rooms were ok...but no hand soap or shampoo in the room?? Very strange. They couldn't find the key to the lock for the back gate to unlock it so my husband could drive our car/trailer through instead of trying to turn it around in such a tight space. Not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank boomersooner2017
Management247, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Boomersooner2017,

I’m happy to hear you made it safe and sound to Monterey from Oklahoma! We love to hear feedback from our guests, good or bad. I’m sorry to hear your room was missing the hand soap and shampoo. I have investigated with our housekeeping department as to why it was missing and discovered it was an oversight by a new housekeeper in training. I apologize for her oversight. We would have been happy to supply you with the missing soaps at the front desk. Always contact the front desk with any issues so that we might make your stay the very best it can be.

In regards to the locked gate, it is locked on purpose. We lock the back gate to protect our guests from scrapping the bottom of their cars. The gate is located on a steep incline. I’m sorry to hear this caused you an inconvenience, but I hope you were able to quickly park your car and trailer in our large parking lot.

We hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your visit to Monterey and the other wonderful amenities our property has to offer. With free WiFi, complimentary hot breakfast, stunning views, comfortable rooms, sauna, and two Jacuzzis for our guests to use we hope you will choose Comfort Inn-Monterey Bay next time you visit the Monterey area!

We wish you a safe and fun drive back to Oklahoma!

Siloam Springs
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Our only disappointment with this motel wans the size of our room. We were in a room behind the front desk and think it may have been smaller than the other rooms. All other features, the front desk staff, the breakfast, the outdoor decor of flowers and shrubs were very good. I would definitely recommend ths motel to others.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not directly behind the front desk.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Nolen R.,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with the Comfort Inn – Monterey Bay. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and would recommend our property to other travelers. You are correct in that room 148 is a little smaller than our other rooms. Some of our guests love this room because of its location, but others do not. On your next visit just let us know you would prefer a different room and we will do our best to accommodate you! We look forward to your next visit to beautiful Monterey!

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

The place was in excellent condition with friendly staff. The price is awesome for the area and what you get.

The free WiFi is super quick and reaches everywhere in the complex. There is also plenty of easy free parking.

Make sure you make yourself a blueberry waffle at breakfast. They're that good!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind words and compliments! It’s always a treat to hear back from our guests about their stay. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your praise of our property and staff. We want to give our guests only the very best! In today’s world we know one of the top things our guests need and want is fast and reliable WiFi. We want our guests to be able to use their devices where ever they might be in our property. There is nothing better than eating a delicious blueberry waffle for breakfast while checking your email and enjoying the incredible Monterey views from our outdoor sitting area! We look forward to your next visit to beautiful Monterey!

Travel Safe,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Excellent staff, attractive exterior, room was in good condition, nicely decorated and appointed. Loved the bathroom. Included Wi-Fi, microwave and mini-fridge and very good breakfast. Good location and reasonable price. When we travel (about 200 nights per year) we generally look for "budget" lodgings and if I could consistently find places like this one I would be very happy. I would definitely return here.

Room Tip: We had room 114, one queen bed.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Specialklc,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Comfort Inn – Monterey Bay. I have passed along your kind compliments of the staff and they thank you! Our complimentary hot breakfast has so many options; fresh fruit, yogurt, hot waffles and so much more! We know you have many options to choose from when you travel. Thank you for choosing our hotel Specialklc!

I am delighted to hear that we will see you again!
Macungie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Furniture was new, the room had a nice view with trees outside the window. Size of the room was also appropriate. Breakfast area was a bit tight, and selection was fine.

For the cost, it was a good deal.

Stayed May 2014
Montereybythebay, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Hakan:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am glad that we were able to provide you with a great value at our Comfort Inn. We look forward to serving you on your return trip.