“we loved it and we will be back”

Stargazer Inn and Suites
Ranked #48 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 5 August 2011

we stayed in the honeymoon suite it was great it has a four poster king size canopy bed and a fireplace. it was great i will come back here again and i will tell all of my friends about this place. the front desk staff is wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 August 2011

Monterey was full when we looked for accommodations for this last-minute family weekend getaway. This looked like the best of a small number of accommodations that still had availability. I hate to imagine what the others would have been like!

The only real positive: there is, as advertised, a heated indoor swimming pool with whirlpool spa, and the littlest member of our traveling party enjoyed it, though it must be said that the pool area was spartan, and the "pool towels" on offer at the front desk were little more than cleaning rags.

For the rest, not so good. The room was reasonably spacious, but cluttered and dingy, with dated and worn out furnishings and a grimy carpet. The free breakfast was minimal, some warehouse store pastries, sliced bread for the toaster, hard boiled eggs and fresh waffles (the last was one of the only nice touches, and appreciated by the little ones). As the property had filled up for this busy Monterey weekend, however, by the time we made it to the cramped breakfast room the offerings had been pretty thoroughly picked over.

At $300 a night plus tax, this was a great disappointment, and I would not stay here again even at one-third the price.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2011

This isn't in line with other Clarion hotels that I have used. I wouldn't even call it a hotel. It is a motel with outside room entrances and very dull dated decor. It does have a pool, which the water was salty, bizarely. The room was clean but not what I expected from this chain. They charged my card twice which is annoying and they have yet to refund me and haven't even acknowledged an email that I sent them 4 days ago so I will now be forced to call them from the UK at considerable cost to myself. I doubt I would use this hotel again but generally I would use Clarion again. I think that this hotel is an oddball compared to others.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I usually stay on N. Fremont st when in Monterey, as they tend to be cheaper than the ones on Munras ave. However, I decided to splurge a little seeing how the kids were with me on this trip. The indoor pool was what made this hotel stand out from the others. The room was nice, two queen beds that were separated by individual rooms gave the kids their privacy. Room was very clean, and had a lovely balcony. The staff were very friendly. The night clerk was very knowledgeable about the area, and recommended a great place to eat, well as gave me directions to half-moon bay with ease. The morning lady checked us out with a smile, and some times you don't see that at smaller properties. All in all I'm glad I chose this location, was worth paying a little more for.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I took away one star because of that "smell" in the room - kind of musty. BUT we will make this our regular stop for an overnighter from Napa. Nice BIG fridge to keep our stuff in - microwave, and two clean, and comfortable double beds. Needless to say, for $99.00 - we will be back - however, I'll bring my natural "nectar" air freshener that get's made with essential oils in Berkeley.....

Oh, with our nice, big fan we bring with us from home, we slept very well. And I typically can't sleep.... I did here!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The room was $69 a night. Diana at the desk was very friendly and helpful with directions, The room was pleasant. It was small but adequate. The hotel is older and prob a 2 star hotel which I am normally leary of but we were on a long extended trip and needed cheap places to stay. So we took a chance and it worked out great. We stayed one night and it was fine. Free parking and free continental breakfast. Small room but seemed clean and was comfortable. It had a fireplace but we didn't use it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We booked a room in this hotel for a last minute trip to Monterey over the July 4th weekend. The rate was quite inexpensive, especially for being in the city of Monterey, and perhaps that was because we booked just a day or two before we were arriving. The hotel is at a decent location, with easy driving access to all of the highlights of the area. While I'm not always a fan of outdoor corridors, these were pleasant and overlooked a cute landscaped courtyard. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the hot tub in the pool area was fun. Overall, no frills to staying here, but we had a very pleasant one night stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple