“Rude staff led to a horrible stay”

Stargazer Inn and Suites
Ranked #52 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Rude staff led to a horrible stay”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

When you've had a long day and finally reach your hotel the last thing you need is an unfriendly desk clerk treating you like a dirt.

I booked my hotel on Priceline and got a great deal. I spent the day at a final job interview, so I was dressed up a little bit, business casual. When I walked in, the woman at the front desk literally looked me up and down, frowned and in a sarcastic tone asked how she could help me. I'm in my mid-twenties, I get carded constantly, I get I look young but she acted as though I was a 13 yr old trying to buy beer. I was super friendly and I explained that I had a reservation, asking how her night was and commenting how lucky she was to be inside in the warm (it was freezing outside). She ignored my small talk and asked for my name bluntly, seeming skeptical about my having a reservation. After a minute of checking the computer she said, I kid you not, "Oh, wow, you really do."

She remained mono-tone and snippy as she gave me my key and told me where my room was. She acted as though her mere presence was a gift to me and seemed angry that I wasn't acting accordingly.

As I left I told her to have a good night, she grunted. Maybe she was just having a bad night, who knows, but customer service rule #1 is to check your personal problems at the door. She obviously missed that lesson.

The room itself was OK, stains on the carpet and chairs, the bed was a little lumpy, but otherwise it was adequate.

Breakfast was a joke. Everything was cut into fours. The large muffins (They looked like the Costco muffins) were cut into quarters. The breakfast attendant even stood there making Belgium waffles of which she then cut into fours. If you took more than a fourth, she gave you a look as if to imply, "you pig".

I get times are tough, but it was a little bizarre.

At least when I checked out I got a half smile from the front desk girl.

I will NEVER stay at this location again and would not recommend it to anyone. There are tons of other hotels in the area, I strongly urge you to try one of those over this place. Personally, I had a stellar experience the following night at the Red Roof Inn.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have a lot of luggage ask for a room downstairs.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LaurenR87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Chico, California
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We stayed here last March for my 14 yr. olds springbreak. It was very conveniently located. We enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub. Only problem was they had a major power outage when we got there but P.G. & E. was able to get us up and running by 9p.m. The staff also, put us in a nice room that had two separate rooms for each queen bed so, it gave my son privacy and my s.o. and I privacy. This room also, had a small balcony that looked out back which was pretty . I watched the birds every morning. Breakfast was good and very satisfying. The staff was great and we would definitely stay here again. I'm a Choice Hotels member so we received a good price especially with the free upgrade.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank krista h
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Obviously the Choice hotels in the US are not the same as the ones in Sweden. I was shocked by the hotel when I got there.

The hotel is not a 'hotel' - it's like a motel. The receptionist area is located in a separate building. Check-in was great and the front desk staffs were very friendly.

However the hotel itself was bad. I think it's worse than a Super 8/Ramada limited we stayed at. We had a one bedroom suite and the room was dark, and cold. The door couldn't lock properly unless you slam it very hard.

There was a heat in the hallway, and we were wondering why it was there. Then in the evening we knew why. There was only heat in the main room, not in the toilet and not in the bedroom. Perhaps better insulation on the wall will help, but unfortunately the walls were paper thin.

Monterey was not warm in early April, and the toilet and bedroom were freezing cold in the morning and it's definitely not the best way to wake up freezing cold.

Breakfast was 'eatable', nothing fancy but with hot and cold food. The area was pretty packed with people because it was very small.

I don't think I would ever want to go back there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a portable heat if you have a one bedroom suite.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank CPHBear

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Towcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stopped over at Monterey on our way to SF. We were unlucky to arrive in the middle of the busiest Jazz Festival in CA and had a hard time finding a hotel to put up for the night. Everywhere was either full or overpriced. So it was no surprise that we ended up doling a lot of dough for this very basic room.
The girl at the front desk was not helpful, and didn't seem to care if we took the room or not. She wasn't forthcoming with any local information or suggestions for places to visit or eat even when we asked her. Having no choice, as every other place was full, we did take the room.
The room itself was not bad at all. It was very spacious, clean and comfortable. It was well provisioned and had good size beds. WiFi was free, which was helpful. Breakfast was included, but was awful with hardly any choices and wasn't worth it at all.
The overall experience wasn't good, and we would not recommend this place. Definitely not a first choice, more like a last resort.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rockashi
Fresno, California
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Stayed there for two nights while attending a friends wedding. Nice older hotel, rooms could use upgrading. Continental breakfast was just ok nothing special. Close to Carmel where the wedding and reception to place. Was nice that most of the couples friends were able to stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank paul10212
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 26 October 2012

This older hotel on Munras was a nice, quiet place to stay for 3 nites, not too far from the tourist spots. The continental breakfast was adequate, my room, the Cabin Suite, was in interesting throwback to an earlier time which I much enjoyed and hope to visit again nest time I visit Monterey. My room had a refrigerator and a microwave which I found useful. The staff was friendly and accommodating and eager to please.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SurfOrlando
Orinda, California
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My family spent a lot of time at the indoor pool during our 2 night stay. Here are some notes:
--Pool is conveniently close to all rooms.
--Pool water temperature is kept quite warm/inviting.
--Hot tub is indeed hot, which made up for jets not being very strong.
--Depth ranges from 3.5+ ft in shallow end to 8+ ft in deep end. Seems deeper than marked. There was no place my 4 year old could stand in the pool - glad we brought inflatable ring for her.
--Pool open until 10 pm. Made for easy after dinner family activity. (Closed noon-1pm for cleaning.)
--Small, well-worn pool towels available from friendly hotel front desk. Might want to bring your own.
--Pool seemed heavily chlorinated. We didn't rinse our daughter's suit after the first night, and by the second night it had faded from purple to pink! Oops.

It was a great visit overall. We loved our room with 1 king and 1 queen, efficiency kitchen, flatscreen TV, and fireplace. The free breakfast had enough variety to please us all. I personally loved the abundance of bed pillows and appreciated the hotel granting our late checkout request. We will definitely stay here again. I have just booked two more weekend trips!

Room Tip: The "cottage" rooms in the same building as the hotel front desk do not have air condition...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family