“First visit”

Stargazer Inn and Suites
Ranked #52 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Never again. Very disappointing! We booked our room through Hotwire. When we arrived the staff was very friendly that is the best thing I can say about this place. The room we were put in was an old one painted to look nice but you could see HEAVY wear & tear & the smell was so strong of chemicals I had to be moved 2 times because I couldn't breath & got a headache. They were accommodating but a little irritated. No hotel should use a chemical so strong that guests can't breath. Asthmatic's & people with lung disease beware!!! The final room ( they let me know this was it! ) was a little better but still had that strong smell & since I prepayed I was stuck there. Travel tip: upstairs rooms are far better than the bottom floor rooms? It made me wonder if they reserved those for guests not booked at a discount??? The breakfast was a carb fest but it was decent. If staying here expect a 2 star hotel. If you are looking for something nicer pay for it.

Room Tip: top floor rooms are in better condition as k for one upstairs
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne C
There are newer reviews for Stargazer Inn and Suites

Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

Pool and sauna was excellent! However, when it was time for breakfast we were detoured to the hotel next door which was a little inconvenient and annoying. Again, love the pools!

Pillows were so soft I had to request two extra. Good service. I liked how when you walk in the lobby an attendant appears in seconds. Very courteous staff.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Femi2012
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Just not a lot to say about this place...I only stay because it is the least expensive in town and they usually have rooms. I can walk (far) into Monterey and it has easy access back onto the highway, but that is it. Weak breakfast, beds, room. But it's a value place so you get what you pay for...keep that in mind and you'll be ok with it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Much better than expected. The room was fine, clean, uptodate, and had a large flatscreen TV. Breakfast was great - it was the best continental breakfast with fruits, cereals, donuts, sweet breads, pan cakes, orange and cranberry juices...
Checkin was fast and very friendly.
Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2013

When you've had a long day and finally reach your hotel the last thing you need is an unfriendly desk clerk treating you like a dirt.

I booked my hotel on Priceline and got a great deal. I spent the day at a final job interview, so I was dressed up a little bit, business casual. When I walked in, the woman at the front desk literally looked me up and down, frowned and in a sarcastic tone asked how she could help me. I'm in my mid-twenties, I get carded constantly, I get I look young but she acted as though I was a 13 yr old trying to buy beer. I was super friendly and I explained that I had a reservation, asking how her night was and commenting how lucky she was to be inside in the warm (it was freezing outside). She ignored my small talk and asked for my name bluntly, seeming skeptical about my having a reservation. After a minute of checking the computer she said, I kid you not, "Oh, wow, you really do."

She remained mono-tone and snippy as she gave me my key and told me where my room was. She acted as though her mere presence was a gift to me and seemed angry that I wasn't acting accordingly.

As I left I told her to have a good night, she grunted. Maybe she was just having a bad night, who knows, but customer service rule #1 is to check your personal problems at the door. She obviously missed that lesson.

The room itself was OK, stains on the carpet and chairs, the bed was a little lumpy, but otherwise it was adequate.

Breakfast was a joke. Everything was cut into fours. The large muffins (They looked like the Costco muffins) were cut into quarters. The breakfast attendant even stood there making Belgium waffles of which she then cut into fours. If you took more than a fourth, she gave you a look as if to imply, "you pig".

I get times are tough, but it was a little bizarre.

At least when I checked out I got a half smile from the front desk girl.

I will NEVER stay at this location again and would not recommend it to anyone. There are tons of other hotels in the area, I strongly urge you to try one of those over this place. Personally, I had a stellar experience the following night at the Red Roof Inn.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have a lot of luggage ask for a room downstairs.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LaurenR87
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We stayed here last March for my 14 yr. olds springbreak. It was very conveniently located. We enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub. Only problem was they had a major power outage when we got there but P.G. & E. was able to get us up and running by 9p.m. The staff also, put us in a nice room that had two separate rooms for each queen bed so, it gave my son privacy and my s.o. and I privacy. This room also, had a small balcony that looked out back which was pretty . I watched the birds every morning. Breakfast was good and very satisfying. The staff was great and we would definitely stay here again. I'm a Choice Hotels member so we received a good price especially with the free upgrade.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank krista h
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Obviously the Choice hotels in the US are not the same as the ones in Sweden. I was shocked by the hotel when I got there.

The hotel is not a 'hotel' - it's like a motel. The receptionist area is located in a separate building. Check-in was great and the front desk staffs were very friendly.

However the hotel itself was bad. I think it's worse than a Super 8/Ramada limited we stayed at. We had a one bedroom suite and the room was dark, and cold. The door couldn't lock properly unless you slam it very hard.

There was a heat in the hallway, and we were wondering why it was there. Then in the evening we knew why. There was only heat in the main room, not in the toilet and not in the bedroom. Perhaps better insulation on the wall will help, but unfortunately the walls were paper thin.

Monterey was not warm in early April, and the toilet and bedroom were freezing cold in the morning and it's definitely not the best way to wake up freezing cold.

Breakfast was 'eatable', nothing fancy but with hot and cold food. The area was pretty packed with people because it was very small.

I don't think I would ever want to go back there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a portable heat if you have a one bedroom suite.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family