“A beautiful city and hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Thank you Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa for a wonderful place to stay and relax while my kids and I explored California. The hot tub and view was breath taking! We loved the added touch of having binoculars in the room so we could watch the otters and sea lions from our balcony.
I also appreciate the detail of the hotel manager and his genuine desire to make sure our visit was supreme!!
We will visit again!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank April M
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear April,

Thank you for your review. It is great to read that we helped make your California exploration a wonderful experience. We aim for a personal service experience and I am glad you found it to be supreme. We look for forward to welcoming you back on your future visits to Monterey.

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (5,206)

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Had stayed here before, excellent 2 day stay mid-week (reasonable rate). Shared hotel with International Society of "Shark Husbandry" seminar...scientists from all over the world. Very interesting. We enjoyed a Bayside room, night filled with barking sealions perched on nearby levee and awoke to dolphins cruising harbor, quite a sight. Dinner at Schooners, onsite restaurant, New York steak was delicious as was the creamy clam chowder (with clam in shell) different. Wedge salad was a bit too soggy for my taste. Retired for evening at 8PM... knock at door...maid with extra pillows and towels and chocolates for pillows. 5 minutes later knock at door, gentleman with basket of fruit, waters and cookies. Staff could not have been more helpful and courteous...they made you feel, as Ron Burgandy says..."like a pretty big deal". Great time !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Gerald P
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times, and the location is wonderful, and right on the water. Food was very good, and the grounds and lobby are very nice. Room was ok; it was clean, and the bed was ok (I am pretty fussy about my bed ). You are paying more for location than quality, though, in my opinion. Out of all the places in Monterey, this is probably the nicest one.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Best place to stay in Monterey bar none! Pricey but you get what you pay for. Excellent friendly staff, top notch service, perfect location. My wife and I watched sea otters from our room with binoculars that were in room, very nice touch!

• Stayed: November 2013
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Erik,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your experience and you were able to take advantage of the complimentary binoculars. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The location is ideal, the views are amazing (watched the sea otters play right from our window!), the staff superb and the rooms and amenities were excellent. Overall, I cannot write a better review, particularly for a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel is definitely the nicest hotel that we've ever stayed at. Expensive, but well worth it. We splurged on a corner room with a balcony for our 22nd wedding anniversary and don't regret spending the $ one bit! We took pictures of sea otters, dolphins, and a variety of sea birds from our balcony. The room was large and clean with a comfortable bed and nice bedding; also very quiet (there was a wedding reception on the floor below us and we didn't hear it at all, even with the balcony doors open). The staff were very friendly and courteous, the food is wonderful, and you can easily walk to the Aquarium and shops on Cannery Row without having to deal with parking. We will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: We've only been there this one time and had a corner room with a balcony. Expensive, but worth...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank V2484ZNlisah

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for celebrating your 22nd wedding anniversary at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. I am happy you found the staff, food and location wonderful. I am delighted to read you were able to experience the abundant marine wildlife of the Monterey Bay from your guest room balcony. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

My general perception is that it is a good property. The staff is generally very friendly and helpful. The view from common areas is very nice (of the bay). The room was comfortable, including the bed. My main complaint there is a fixed curtain as a decoration by the tub/shower, so you can imagine it is a dust collector. The catering was good. There was a bad fishy shell at the grill, so I did not eat there. When checking in, the front door people were pushy. I wanted to check in and then decide on parking and bags, but they insisted on whisking it all away whether I wanted it or not. They wouldn't let me walk in with my car key or the bags. t didn't like that pressure. Due to other reviewers with dents in their car from valet parking, I photographed the car before parking. Alas there were no mishaps. The main complaint I have is the pressure to get the resort package. They charge $20/day for valet parking and $15/day for the spa (you pay to go there and then pay more for a massage - there is no pool) and $10/day for WIFI. They wouldn't answer me when I called asking if there is a parking garage nearby. I found there is one just a block away. At the prices they charge I would think WIFI would be free, but they said there is a charge, so I ended up paying the resort fee that combines all these 3 (parking, WIFI and spa) into one package for $25. The annoying thing is the WIFI is free, although they they tell you it isn't, so you'll get the resort fee. That was very annoying. I could have saved the $25/day and just parked a block away. So they are friendly, but don't tell the truth about things, so you are pressured into agreeing to the "resort fee." That was very annoying and ruined the otherwise good experience a bit. Oh, and one more thing, They have signs asking the guest to conserve water, but the water is so soft, one cannot remove soap, so washing hands and showering take longer than necessary. I would think the cost of making a change in the hardness of the water would be worth the savings of less water used as a consequence.

Room Tip: Water front rooms are at a premium and some have little view of the bay and more of just a little wa...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family