“Expensive and the view was not worth it”

Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sunnyvale, California
“Expensive and the view was not worth it”
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Three of us spent $500 per night to get a view of the ocean, which was promised, but the noises from the public viewing area from below were unbearable. Our doctor recommended an ocean view to de-stress after my Mom's passing, and what we got was far from relaxing. See my Pros and Cons.

CONS
1. We got the second floor above the public viewing and partial ocean and not full ocean as promised when I booked via expedia.

2. Noises from 10-1AM, we could not rest or sleep to enjoy the ocean sounds at all. I called the front to ask them about quiet time, and they didn't have one...

3. The room was not clean and dusty, and I paid 500 per night for this....our visit to 3 star Doubletree hotel put this hotel to shame...

4. The shuttle service was not full service as mentioned. You had to wait til all booked parties before departure, so we forgo the service and hung out at the hotel for dinner.

5. The team did not greet you or made you feel welcomed for a four star diamond hotel...

PROS
- property is gorgeous
- The resteraunt on sight was fully booked so we ate at the bar because of the shuttle fiasco..luckily the food was not bad
- linen and bed was soft

I would not return nor get another property under this management. I did not get the value and quality for the price, and book it yourself not via expedia. I would check out other properties near Carmel and or Seaside if you want to be near the ocean. I hear Best Western near seaside was better for the price and ocean view.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank tammieg_1967
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. I am sorry to read of your Mother’s passing.

I am disappointed we did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced. I can assure you we take your comments seriously and I have brought your feedback to the management staff to ensure each comment is addressed with the department involved.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally. I can be reached at 831-645-4000 or email at jnarigi@montereyplazahotel.com.

Once again, my condolences for your loss.

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,367)
  • Korean first
SF Bay area
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I definitely see why this hotel was ranked #1 in the Monterey area. The hotel was immaculate, the rooms beautiful decorated and spacious, the staff was alway pleasant and helpful. I arise early in the morning, and the lobby has coffee by about 5:30 in the morning. The view from the patios are just incredible, and Cannery Row is just a 5 minute stroll down the street. For a special occasion I feel this would be a great place to stay, and I definitely plan on returning!

1 Thank DocBones1
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous five-star review regarding your recent stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. I am delighted to read that your visit was enjoyable. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Lafayette, California
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was our first stay at the Monterey Plaza Hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The service was excellent, the staff friendly, polite, and responsive to any request. We loved hearing the ocean outside our window at night. Our room was supplied with binoculars and we could watch the ocean wildlife from the comfy chairs next to the window. From our table at breakfast in Schooner's Coastal Kitchen we watched an otter floating in the waves below, having his breakfast as well. Delightful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BSBWRN
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Fantastic location on Cannery Row with a great view. Asked for a quiet room with an ocean view and they definitely accommodated us with top floor very end over the water. Was wonderful to just sit in the room with the binoculars and windows open listening to the sounds of the surf and watching the otters. Also, a great location to walk to Cannery Row and the Aquarium. The spa/whirlpool/steam shower were all in the same building we stayed in which was fantastic, and great way to watch the fog roll in at night. The hotel and rooms are definitely dated although clean considering they are overtop of the ocean. We slept with the windows open and the only complaint was those pesky Sealions barking all night ;). Overall pleased, would love to see some upgrades to make is truly 5 stars.

Room Tip: Not having an ocean view would be like going on a cruise and having an inside room.
Green Features: There are a lot of notices about environmental precautions etc. Would love to see them raise the bar in this concern especially considering their location on the protected bay.
1 Thank Nathan W
San Jose, California
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We've been going to this hotel for years as a family. Sometimes we splurge and get an ocean view room. In the past, we've been very pleased with the ocean view rooms. We love being able to see the otters in the morning, and the provided binoculars are awesome! But this trip, the beds were old and uncomfortable. For the price we paid for the room, that's unacceptable. We probably won't go back again, esp. with the new hotel down the street. We asked for a quiet room, got a noisy room above the courtyard.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SFBayArea1
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. I am disappointed that your request for a quiet room was not fulfilled and the bed was uncomfortable. I am sorry to hear that you are considering not coming back. I hope you will allow me the opportunity to talk with you personally regarding your recent stay. I can be reached by phone at 831-645-4000 or by email at jnarigi@montereyplazahotel.com.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I was in San Francisco for Dreamforce and decided to head down and spend some time in Monterey. I'm a huge animal enthusiast and had requested a room with an ocean view. I got more than I expected!

Unfortunately after having spent time with 130,00 of my closest friends at the conference I became ill. But the room was comfortable and included binoculars which allowed me to see sea otters, dolphins, seals, jelly fish, birds....not a bad way to spend some much needed downtime...simply sitting and looking out at the bay!

The staff was on point. Always helpful, friendly and courteous! I also loved the location...very much within walking distance of the Monterey Bay Aquarium as well as all the shops and restaurants of Cannery Row!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room and sleep with the windows open...I loved listening to the ocean waves an...
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Worth it to stay here. We had our wedding reception here and often return yearly . Look for special deals on internet also . Love it and enjoyed our room service and views again.

We had a wedding reception here also a few years ago and it was impeccable and they allowed our outside vendors in to do many special things. The outdoor food and drink hour was amazing ans served appetizers were awesome. 1/2 the price of other 4 and 5 star resorts int he area

Ahi tune and lobster bisque and surf and turf was to die for.

Great value overall considering other high end resorts in pebble beach. Best reception room views with widows to the bay feet away fro the waves and sea life.

Highly recommend it

Room Tip: pay for upgraded room ask for upgrades at check in and look doe internet deals - especially off seas...
Green Features: i know water conservation program is cool idea - not sure on rest
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple