“Thanksgiving stop over”

GreenLeadersBronze level
North Sydney, Canada
“Thanksgiving stop over”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Wonderful place to stay, we were a party of (8) that booked 4 rooms that were vary nice. My only complaint was that we could not book a reservation for Thanksgiving dinner at the hotel, we had to go out for dinner. I would recommend this Hotel any way.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,362)
  • Korean first
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This is my favorite hotel in the whole world! Everything is amazing...especially the Spa! Everyone should stay here at least once in there life! I would rather be there then anywhere else! The food is amazing and the staff there are polite and professional. Also the location is perfect! Overall this place is like I said before....AMAZING!

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank MickeyMay22
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very positive review regarding your recent stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. We are delighted to read that you consider the Plaza “amazing”. I look forward to sharing your kind remarks with our staff and know they will be pleased that their efforts have been recognized. We hope to welcome you can in the future.

Fresno, California
Reviewed 13 January 2014

As always, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We had a terrific ocean view room and woke up to a beautiful sunrise. All hotel staff were friendly, courteous and efficient. Spa is great - had a wonderful massage. Food was excellent at Schooner for both lunch and dinner. My husband and I highly recommend the Plaza!

Room Tip: We loved having an ocean view room but I think all the rooms are really nice.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I found an excellent rate on the internet and I decided to stay there with my husband and my brother and his wife. We arrived in the evening and got settled in the room. The concierge remembered from my on-line booking that my brother and his wife were celebrating an anniversary and congratulated them on that. The room was spacious, well-appointed, and very clean. We had some time before our reservations at the restaurant (Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, which is on the property), so we changed into our bathing suits and headed to the roof-top spa where we spent an hour or so soaking in their two hot tubs with glass walls around the terrace overlooking the bay lit up like Christmas. The sauna, although we didn't use it, looked clean and spacious as well. They even provided plenty of towels at the spa, so we didn't need to bring ours from the room.

By the time we got back, room service had arrived with a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries and a congratulatory note for my brother and his wife on their anniversary. The note also contained a $20-off coupon for a meal at Schooners!

The meal was fine. I won't sully the present recommendation with details of our lackluster service at Schooners.

However, we did spend some time sitting around the open fire pit outdoors, enjoying the warmth from the bright fire with blue glass stones and the chill in the December air. They had a live jazz musician playing in the hotel lobby, which we enjoyed for a while before dinner, too.

For tourists, the hotel is located within easy walking distance of everything you want, I think. Cannery Row and the Monterey Bay Aquarium are an easy 10 minute walk from the hotel.

Note that high speed WIFI in the rooms, valet parking, and access to the spa are all included in your "Resort Fee." I preferred to think of them as "free."

Definitely consider this excellent property for your next visit to Monterey and the surrounding area. The hotel is luxurious, clean, and beautiful -- the staff is attentive and generous. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Granbury, Texas
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This seems to be the premiere location in Monterrey. Very attractive with Plaza, shops, eating places. Staff was outstanding. It's a family owned venue with longstanding employees and it shows. Room service food surprisingly excellent! Was there with a family member but we were part of a 49 member tour group they handled very well.

Room Tip: I had an ocean view room in Bldg.2. Looks like it would be better in Bldg. 1 with step out balcony...
Green Features: They were conscious about drought there and emphasized green practices.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I've stayed at this hotel once before, and I quite liked it. It is clean, the service is good, and it's very conveniently located to many of the things to do in Monterey (not that there's a staggering amount to do there, but that's actually rather the charm of the town).

OK, before I lose your attention, a very important note on room choice, and the view.

Last time we stayed, we had a partial ocean view. There was an extremely small balcony that was rectangular, and the wide side of the rectangle faced out into the plaza between the hotel and the bay, with the smaller side of the rectangle facing the bay. You could ... sort of ... see the sea, but it was more looking at the plaza.

But this time (December 2013) I paid more for the full ocean view and OH MY GOD!

When we checked in it was very late and even then we could hear the ocean as it rolled in against the side of the hotel. Opening the balcony the ions from all that roiling water, and the magnificent sound of the waves, completely electrified and soothed three weary cross-country travelers. Peering down from the balcony it was almost like looking down the side of a cruise ship, except even better, as you're closer to the water, and waves don't roll in to break against the side of a cruise ship! That night I stood on the balcony for quite a while, letting my eyes adjust, until I could see the white foam on the dark sea. In the distance you could hear barking sea lions (but then again, in December in Monterey, that's a hard sound to avoid).

The next morning only underlined how truly amazing the full water view is. Floating on their backs were sea otters using rocks to break shells on their bellies. There are all sorts of sea birds hunting right below you, and the water is so clear you can watch them hunt at times under the water. Occcasionally you can spot sea lions as they swim further out into the bay as well. We saw the glass bottom boat stop in the kelp forest right outside our window and that was a thrill because it just reminded us that we were right on the lip of the kelp forest below.

So I very, very strongly recommend that you splurge and get the full bay view if you can swing it. It makes a really huge difference, not just in your enjoyment of the room, but really in your appreciation of the town itself -- if you are just walking around the wharf and the aquarium it's all too easy to think you're just in another semi-polished little tourist town. See the sea break below your hotel room, maybe even feel a bit of foam from a particularly vigorous wave, watch the fishing boats go out to sea, and even the kayakers as they investigate the kelp forest outside your room -- now THAT will remind you what this town is, what built it and how it made its living for so long.

By the way, from the plaza at the back of the hotel you have beach access and can actually walk from the beach to the rocky area below the hotel, which is where the bay meets the building. My two sons and I walked along the rocks and checked out the tidal pools, which were full of hermit crabs going about their business, snails and sea anemones as well. Not too many starfish, different from last time (but I heard that the starfish have been hit hard by some sort of malady in the bay). There was even a kelp crab, which had got stuck in a tidal pool -- we watched him for some time as he tried to find his way back to the sea! (Be very careful on the rocks though, as they can be slippery, and my sons quickly left their old fart of a father far behind as I cautiously negotiated my way to the water's edge.)

As for the rest of the review, the hotel itself is very polished and upscale, with an elegant lobby, but other than the lobby I think it's a bit too modern-convention-centery to put it in the same league as an old luxury hotel like the Waldorf. I think you'd have to be a bit of a snob for that to really matter though! The restaurants are good, service is top quality, room service is pretty good too although the off-hours dining menu is a little more limited than one might expect (you can ask for things on the main menu though and they can often oblige). The crabcake eggs benedict is an absolutely delicious thing to get for breakfast in your room!

Location is very convenient to many of Monterey's sights. The aquarium is about five blocks away (to the right as you leave the lobby), there are shops along cannery row and many even right there in the plaza around the hotel, and many restaurants within walking distance, including a pretty good Mexican restaurant (El Torito) and a VERY good, though noisy, Tiki place (Hula's up on Lighthouse). Keep walking past the aquarium and there's a great scenic path that leads into Pacific Grove. Further still in Carmel but you'll need to drive for that! If you are walking the path try to be done by sunset as some parts of the path are not particularly well lit.

Heading LEFT from the lobby you can go to Fisherman's Wharf for tacky souvenirs (some actually rather nicer ones too), boat tours and lots of good food. In that same general direction you have the park, where there are some interesting old Spanish buildings, but they've often been so modernized that you barely recognize them as such.

I'm not a spa person so can't comment on it.

All things considered -- the magnificent sea outside your balcony, a clean and well-run hotel, friendly staff, good food, beach access, and a central location in a very pretty and relaxing town make the Monterey Plaza Hotel one of my favorite hotels in the world. I hope before I join the Choir Invisible I get to visit several more times!

Room Tip: As said in the description, definitely splurge for an full water view if you can
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Alex,

Thank you for your rave review about your recent stay at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. We are pleased you and your family had an excellent stay. We are thrilled to learn you enjoyed the accommodations, dining and amenities. Thank you for selecting the Plaza as your family destination and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Manteca, California
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Monterey was this year's New Year location pick. We've stayed at the hotel four times in the past and once again we were not disappointed. The location is the best. Easy walking to the Wharf, Cannery Row and great selection of restaurants. Our room did not have an ocean view as we have selected in the past, but no need. The room was spacious, beautifully decorated and the bed was more than comfortable. Plan to go back again soon.

Room Tip: we've not had a bad room at this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience and for celebrating the New Year with us. We appreciate your continued loyalty. We’re glad you enjoyed the central location of the Plaza! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.