“Best stay in Monterey”

Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Monterey is all about being close to the water. This hotel provides you with every luxury while allowing you to feel intimately close to the sea. Service is excellent. Location
is the best. You can walk everywhere. And the spa is truly spectacular.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Great location, room and service. A lovely place to stay, right on the water. The spa on the roof (for adults only) is lovely. Two hot tubs and a steam room, that you can use when you like, plus a full spa where you can book massages, etc.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Judy I
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We only spent one evening but were totally impressed with the entire operation!

From the moment we arrived we were particularly impressed with the staff. The valet parking folks set the tone (they were prompt and courteous) and that first impression carried through our entire stay -- Nani and Wes at the front desk, the spa attendants, concierge professionals, bell crew, Schooners staff -- all were positive, upbeat, professional and made us feel right at home.

The room was superb with views of Monterey Bay and Seaside and was excellently appointed.

We were appreciative of the wonderful service and ambiance; we look forward to a return visit!

Room Tip: In the "A" building, rooms ending in 15, 17, 19 and 21 face the Pacific and have (in our v...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your wonderful review about your recent stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. We are delighted that you enjoyed our guest service throughout your stay and that we could make your time with us special. We are glad to hear that your room allowed you the perfect ambiance to enjoy Monterey Bay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

John V. Narigi
Vice President & General Manager

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Loved this hotel! We are a family of four with daughters, 17 & 20. Huge rooms with double beds, and very clean. All of the staff was very professional and very helpful. Great location to shops and food. Walking was no problem.

Room Tip: we had a street facing room and we did not find it to be a problem.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

If you visit Monterey, this hotel has to be at the top of your list. Indeed, this hotel may be the best excuse for visiting Monterey!

We've stayed there twice in the past year -- Labor Day, 2013, and 4th of July this year (long weekends for both stays). The waterfront rooms are excellent -- we've stayed in both towers, and I would recommend the main building both for convenience and for slightly larger balconies. The rooms and bathrooms are huge and well appointed. I would also give a great shout-out to the service, which was fast and friendly.

My only disappointment -- and this is slight -- is with the dining/bar which has remarkably slow and erratic service. Some servers are top flight, while others don't seem to remember your order. .

All in all, it's a top-flight experience, and we hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: waterfront balcony rooms are excellent, and I would opt for the main tower for view, balcony size, a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Where do I start. The location? The views? The accommodations? All are perfect. The room, was excellent. What a great couple nights. Most notably to me was that we could also walk to the nearby bars, restaurants, pier etc. , or, the trolley stops right out front. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a view of the Bay and SUNRISE
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here for three nights with our daughter who is 7 and a wheelchair user. The accessibility was quite outstanding especially compared with other hotels where we have stayed. However we were very disappointed when we entered our first room which was described as an accessible room with an ocean view. Our "ocean view" in room 1229 faced the plaza, the end of the harbor, and primarily the remains of an old cannery wall. We couldn't see the ocean unless we stood on the balcony and looked left. Our view was one of the most important criteria for selecting the hotel and paying extra for an ocean view. The bellman was extremely professional and contacted the manager on duty to find out if we could switch to another room. We asked if there had been some mistake in the description and he said that this was considered a full ocean view and all of the accessible rooms with ocean views faced the harbor/plaza area. Wow. It turned out they were booked for the first night and although we could move the next day, we had to elect to have a room that was not accessible in order to have a true ocean view.

I told the manager that I was disappointed and felt mislead. We paid for another member of our party to have a room with partial view (#1413) and I would have accepted her view as a full ocean view. The manager agreed to credit us the difference between the two rooms and said our room should have been called a "harbor view" and perhaps it was a mix-up in marketing on Expedia. She said she would speak to the marketing department about it.

I do not see anything that states "harbor view" even on the hotel website. Even though we received a partial credit for the difference paid for our view and our other guest, what really wanted was the view as described on the website and which led me to book our reservation with this hotel: "These large, 400 square foot guestrooms, offer dramatic panoramic views of Monterey Bay. Built directly over the water, you get the feeling you're on a cruise ship." I guess our cruise ship was docked.

Spa-
Beautiful view, relaxing, comprehensive amenities, great massages-

My husband and I both had outstanding massages at the spa (in fact some of the best ever) but felt the receptionist who helped us a few times needed some additional training. When we asked her if we could have robes for the spa pool area (prior to our spa services) she said they were in the locker rooms. Since we had never been to the spa and she had not introduced us to the locker area (said she would show us to them at the time of our appointment) I found myself having to explain why we didn't bring our robes from the room. In my opinion this was unnecessary. The same individual also forgot book one of the add-on services I requested with my massage. For a world class spa and the accolades shared in their advertising we expected more polish from the staff. At the same time I found their demeanor refreshingly down to earth.

Ultimately, I don't believe we would stay here again. Yes, our second room had a lovely view, and the hotel offers lots of amenities, but it was a hassle to change rooms, and to help our daughter navigate a rooms that was not accessible. It's a shame that none of the true ocean view rooms are accessible. The hotel needs to clarify this information and revise their pricing so that guests know what they are getting ahead of time.

Room Tip: If you wish to have the best ocean view room ask for one that does not face the plaza.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MicheleGSC
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. I am extremely disappointed to learn of your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations. Your feedback regarding the description of our room types is valuable to us. We are currently evaluating the descriptions of our room types in an effort to address your concerns.

In addition, I have addressed your concerns with our Spa Director. Your experience is not indicative of the service standards we strive to meet. I would like to apologize that we fell short in this respect.

Please be assured that careful consideration is given to the comments you provided an opportunity for our improvement. I hope to discuss your experience in a private conversation and personally welcome you back. If you could please contact me at 831-645-4000 or by email at jnarigi@montereyplazahotel.com, I look forward to speaking with you.

John V. Narigi