“Best Hotel For A Princess!”

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Of all the hotels I have ever stayed, 1000+, the Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa is still my favorite. The views are great, the location is perfect and the service is excellent. They are so polished and polite you feel like royalty. I don't know how they do it but every staff member seems to know your name and they go out of their way to help you achieve the best stay possible. If you are looking for a romantic or relaxing stay on the Central Coast you won't go wrong with this choice. Paired with one of the wonderful ocean side restaurants along Cannery Row, it really can't be beat!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank auzzystrips

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I'll keep it brief. We stayed for one night on a road trip. It's a lovely hotel but the type of place where you pay for anything extra. Including the resort fee for access to the spa which costs a bomb to have any treatments at. Anyway, it's lovely but I'll stay somewhere a bit more rough and ready next time.

Room Tip: Overlooking the sea would be the only way here.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank skippy_ste
Reviewed 15 August 2014

All smiles, all the time from the staff. I have never stayed anywhere that was this friendly and helpful. The location is perfect. Rooms and grounds are exceptional, but the staff makes this place. You feel at home with friends. Thanks to all.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Herberger
Reviewed 15 August 2014

From reading the reviews here, I decided to pay the extra and book an ocean view room with a balcony. I wasn't at all disappointed, and the room was absolutely stunning. Binoculars in the room was a nice touch. Expensive, but worth the extra if you can. I don't think I would have enjoyed my stay anything like as much in an internal room.

Location is excellent - short walk to Fisherman's Wharf or Cannery Row.

All the staff were very friendly, from the valet parking guys, through housekeeping.

The only downside was that each night the bar and common areas were busy with corporate types having meetings. Not really what I expected at a resort style hotel/spa in a seaside location. Also I found it strange that the public could just walk into the plaza and use the facilities, which probably explains that not once could I find somewhere to sit down. On one occasion we ended up leaving the hotel to walk down Cannery Row to the Intercontinental to get a drink, and when we couldn't get a dinner table (in a reasonable time), we headed down to Fisherman's Wharf. Basically folk paying $500 per night get no preference over the public walking in. This annoyed me, so feel I must drop a star on the review.

We didn't use the Spa facilities, but they did look very extensive.

Overall, it was a lovely stay, and I would definitely recommend for a short break.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed for one night with a family of four. We had reserved an ocean front room with a balcony and got it (ha ha I'm not sure if they have any other kind...). The room had a fun view of the harbor, but I have to say I was imagining the view being straight to the open ocean, but that angle was blocked by a side of the hotel. But our boys enjoyed standing on the balcony, listening and watching the ocean waves rush onto the rocks below, and watching birds and cayakers with the binoculars kindly provided by the hotel.

The room had two queen beds. They provided adequate sleeping comfort for a family of four in one room. The bathroom was nice sized, and the room was modern and comfortable. There was nothing in the mini bar though! I was hoping for a glass of wine with my wife on the balcony after we put the kids to bed.

We used the valet service, which was efficient. Service was efficient and unobtrusive throughout. The location is great for seeing the aquarium and what else would you really want to see in downtown Monterey? The rooms can be accessed directly from the street by entering the courtyard without going through the hotel entrance, which is convenient - although I was a bit concerned about all kinds of riffraff entering the building in night time (a concern which did not materialize in the end).

If you want to stay in Monterey this is the place. Next time, though, I'm going to stay a couple miles south in Carmel - not because of the hotel which is very nice, but because of how busy the tourist strip in Monterey is.

Room Tip: Ask for direct ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 73_ptr
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Wonderful birthday stay! Chocolate covered strawberries on arrival; 30% coupon for spa (I used for Bliss on the Bay massage - great); 20.00 off for birthday at restaurant or spa (I used for Schooners); polite, accommodating, courteous staff; binoculars in the room to look out for wildlife (otters were so cute); clean, nice room; rooftop spa to relax after massage, so beautiful. The food at Schooners was good (lobster and steak for two), the mac and cheese was sooooo good! Happy hour house margaritas were really good (and strong)! I loved keeping the doors open at night to listen to the waves crashing on the rocks (good sleeping)!

The REASON for 4 STARS is because my room (1224) was right above the courtyard with benches. People from the hotel would come out to smoke there, and it was horrible while sitting on our balcony and having to smell the smoke (HORRIBLE). Also, two nights in a row, I was woke up (midnight and 2 a.m.) by loud laughing and talking (I guess around the fire pit), not enjoyable.

So, otherwise my stay was wonderful!

Room Tip: Not 1224. The room is right near the courtyard. There are benches there, and people from the hotel...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank txtrayce
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I spent a week here on a conference. The staff are exceptionally helpful, but not intrusive. My room overlooked the bay and was large and very comfortable. The atmosphere is slightly old fashioned but entirely pleasant.
The food offerings were of a high standard, and the conference support staff were excellent .
This is an annual event, and the hotel does a great job in supporting the conference.

Stayed: August 2014