1,974 results
All reviews wine and cheese cannery row great location foam street gas fireplace within walking distance parking fee crackers two sinks family suite every afternoon two blocks best westerns the monterey bay aquarium small balcony nice breakfast continental breakfast
Reviewed 15 August 2009

This hotel would probably be okay if you aren't stuck in one of the rooms facing the street. The website states that each room has a private balcony or patio. That is a lie. When I booked our room (by calling the hotel directly) I was told we would have a courtyard facing room. That is not what we got. We had neither a balcony or patio and our only view was the street below. With no air conditioning we had to keep the windows open for some cool air. It was EXTREMELY LOUD!! Very disappointing. When I requested we be moved to another room I was told that the only other room available was "extremely downgraded". I honestly don't know how that could be possible. I do have to say that the room itself was decent and clean but the location ruined it. The staff did have great dining recommendations.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
IOM_8, General Manager at Best Western Plus Victorian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2009

We appreciate the guests’ comments. They are correct that four of the seventy rooms do not have a patio or balcony, but rather a window seat. We are sorry for the miscommunication and have apologized to the guest. Again, we thank the guest for their valuable feedback.

Victorian Inn

Reviewed 14 August 2009

Highly recommend staying here. We came for a relaxing stay and were totally impressed. Our stay exceeded our expectations. We had great service from the staff- coupons for restaurants, priceless dining suggestions, a great spacious room with fireplace, all within walking distance to the Aquarium and Cannery Row. The free breakfast included everything you could want - bagels, muffins, cereal, fruit, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee. And the wine and cheese reception was an added bonus. It was the most perfect getaway.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gracebarbara
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I checked in for a five night business stay. I'm a frequent traveler, so as soon as I got in my room I went back to the front desk to ask to be switched. The room was 117. It was on the bottom floor next to the hall exit door. Anytime anyone would go to the lobby from the bottom floor that door would slam and rattle my room. There was also an exterior stairwell adjacent to this room. This resulting in my being awoken whenever anyone would come down the stairs. I also experienced noise from the person above me.

When I went to the front desk I was told that there were no other rooms available unless I wanted to "upgrade." I was advised to check back later to see what was available. When I did check back they did their best to accommodate me, but I had to spend two nights in that terrible room.

When they did switch rooms, the next room was better. It was still on the first floor, but not near an exit or elevator. If there is anyone above you, you will hear it. If one of your neighbors is running the shower or bath, you will know.

The room decor is decent, and they even have an honor bar with some necessities. I never ate the breakfast, but the wine reception was nice. Seemed to attract a lot of families, which would take over the wine reception - I found that kind of odd.

So there were some pluses, but for me (or anyone who values quiet) it was not a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I love the feel of the Victorian Inn. It is cozy and their employees are very friendly and extremely accommodating. The fireplace in the room creates an inviting atmosphere for a relaxing stay. I love the breakfast in the Lobby. It has a great variety of things to choose from, not just coffee and a danish but eggs, bagels, cereal, and pastries. The afternoon wine and cheese is also a welcoming touch. You are close to the Monterey Aquarium and some wonderful places to eat.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2009

There was a group of six of us, four in one room with two double beds and two in one room with a king bed. We stayed in rooms 118 at the very end of the building D and in room 120.

The hotel is nicely situated in Cannery Row, within walking distance to Cannery Row, the Aquarium, as well as shops, restaurants and Longs Drugstore (which came in handy for us).

There are a total of 5 buildings with pretty landscaping in between. Next to the check-in desk is an area set aside for eating. We had available to us fresh fruit, bagels, white/wheat bread, banana nut bread, muffins, and cereal, with juice, milk, and coffee. There were two ladies who kept the supplies stocked for the guests in the morning. The eating area has limited seating, so be prepared to wait for a table, take your food back to your room, or sit down and hold your plate in your lap. We found the breakfast to be plentiful and in nice surroundings.

Our room had two double beds, a desk to write on and a fireplace. The tv was in a hutch with a small refrigerator below. We used it to keep our water cool. The bathroom had two sinks, so in the bath area was the toilet, bath/shower, and sink, and then outside was another sink with a double view mirror and hair dryer set up. There was also an ironing board and iron to use.

We didn't use the fireplace, and it was cool in Monterey so we didn't use the ceiling fan. We also had a patio since we were on the first floor. I liked that we could scoot along the balcony to the "back door" of our cousin's room, however, we were also next to the pathway to leave the hotel, and anyone could easily step over the 3-ft high wall, so we kept our patio door locked.

The parking garage is below, so I thought it was very convenient. There was even some wash rags & solution to clean your car windows, so I thought it was a nice touch. The parking garage had one entrance for the cars, but had two entrances plus the elevator reached below so you can take your suitcases to your room without having to deal with the stairs. Buildings A-C are connected with interior corridors and are 3-stories high. The elevators open into those buildings, and there is a video vending machine where you can rent videos & charge them to your room. Also, you need to use a room key to enter the interior passage, and I thought that was a good touch for people who are more worried about security.

There is a jacuzzi, but we never used it because it was really too cold. I did use the ice machine, and found it easy & clean. I also like that near the jacuzzi are a few tables where people could sit together (on warm days).

I would recommend that if you are travelling with others to ask for a room with connecting balconies so you can sit together.

The negatives to this hotel would be that the toilet seems to be an older brand so it flows slowly. Just be careful so you do not stop it up.

I really enjoyed this hotel. The rooms were very nicely decorated, and we received excellent, courteous service. We also purchased our tickets to the Aquarium here, which made it convenient for us. Later in the evening we wanted to get a bite, and since it was already 9 pm we weren't sure we would be able to find a place. The hotel recommended Willy's barbecue, and that turned out to be a perfect choice for us. It was within walking distance and the food was very good.

I definitely recommend this hotel and would use it again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family