“Gentlemen of the Road ROCKED but not so much the Econo Lodge”

Monterey Fairgrounds Inn
Ranked #56 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My boyfriend, 2 friends and I shared a room at the Econo Lodge during the Gentlemen of the Road Tour which featured Mumford and Sons, Gogol Bordello, Group Love and many others. The Econo Lodge was conveniently situated directly across the street from the fairgrounds and it was apparent that many other festival goers were staying at the Econo Lodge as well, so I had no qualms when I asked for an extra pillow and was told they were out.

We only stayed one night so we didn't get to take advantage of the pool, which was fine by me since it had a strange green tint to the water. Also, it was pretty small and right in the parking lot, slightly awkward.

The staff was nice and helpful when called upon, especially after we returned from the festival which was amazing and included a carnival where Anne lost her phone on the bumper cars. Again. But we quickly found it and carried on with our good time.

The beds were adequate but the one Ben and I shared was pretty squeaky and not in a good way. I felt trapped in the prison of my own mind as sleep evaded me for fear of moving too much and waking everyone else in the room (including the flies).

We did, however, get to check in early despite earlier calls to the hotel to ask for early check in. We were gruffly told no, but Anne persisted when we arrived and we were able to check-in early after all. We were told, "If the room is clean you can stay in it." Luck (and the cleaning staff of apparently 1) was on our side!

We were delighted to find, when we entered the room, that there was a small kitchenette in the room although the cupboards either didn't close all the way or were blocked from opening by light fixtures. Also, the lampshades seemed pretty emo since all their lace and plastic was ripped and punctured. We also noticed a variety of unidentifiable smear stains on the walls (one of which appeared to be painted over). Many fixtures and outlets were broken and the bathroom light would only work when we said the magic word (which apparently is note "please" nor even a word that has been invented yet because we still don't know what it is).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Abbey F

Reviewed 15 August 2012

This place is garbage and Sanjina the manager is a crook. I checked in and the room was horrible. The ceiling had a 6'x6' hole that was badly repaired. The bathroom floor had two colors from water damage or mildew. There was an unrepaired 1'x3' peeling of the sheetrock on the bathroom wall. The bathroom counter was damaged in two places. I pulled out the mattress covers and the mattresses were stinky and soiled. And, the entire room wreaked of some bad odor. In addition, my kids had requested a pool but the pool was green in color. The free breakfast was to be provided in the check-in/out room but only had one table for no more than 2-3 people. This is a motel that has 47 rooms! I took pictures to prove the conditions to the manager and complain that there was no way I was staying there. She commented that since I booked my reservations with Priceline that it was them that I had to request the refund from. I decided to forego staying in Monterey and just drive the two hours home and call Priceline. When I did contact Priceline they told me they had to confer with the manager and Sanjina the manager told them she was refusing my refund request because I used the room for two hours, which was not true. Liar! Check-in time was 3:00 PM and I checked out about 3:30 PM. I only stayed enough to take pictures and videos. Stay anywhere else but here. You have been warned. I am calling my credit card company and filing a formal complaint with Econo Lodge HQ and Priceline and enclosing photos.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bluepacificwaters
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I have to agree with pretty much all of the other reviews...not any better or worse than anyone else (except the bedbugs - we looked, didn't find any). It was a noisy neighborhood what with the airport and fairground, but inside the room was nice and quiet. Nice to have a fridge and microwave, which were small but clean. We knew breakfast would be minimal so we picked up cinnamon rolls down on Cannery Row. Kids loved the heated pool. All in all it was decent for the price. Not a bad option for just a night or two when passing through.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tammy703
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I don't understand why people are whining about their stay there. I didn't find anything that was below other motels' standards in Econo Lodge in Monterey. You get what you pay for: a decent bed where you can sleep a night or two- that's what the motels like that are for. And that was cheap, almost the cheapest night that we had during our 2 weeks vacation in California, Nevada and Arizona

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed here because we were attending a music festival that was held across the street at the fairgrounds. The location was great for what we needed. The room was decent, clean and spacious. But the walls are paper thin and there is a lot of airplane noise so if you are light sleeper, definitely not recommended. I would definitely stay here again while attending another event at the fairgrounds for the convenience of being right across the street.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank iluvthebeach22
Reviewed 23 March 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for easy access to the aquarium and the other beach side activities. However, the second morning there I awoke to a bedbug crawling on my arm! We checked over the bed and sheets and found another. Although we only found 2 specimens, if there are two then there were definitely more. We immediately called travelocity and had a 2 hour runaround between their call center and the hotel staff trying to get the remainder of the money for our stay back. We spent the rest of the day buying new luggage and scrubbing down all of our clothes to prevent the critters coming home with us, effectively taking a full day of what should have been a relaxing vacation away. They are lucky I don't sue for damages.

Moreover, their staff is apathetic at best and rude at worst. They were unhelpful and uninformed. Only good thing about this hotel is the pool, which was nice, but sleeping in a dark, smelly, and infested room is not worth the price. You don't even have a decent breakfast to look forward to!

Don't come here, spend the extra bucks and get a nice hotel or B&B in pacific grove .

Room Tip: They have bedbugs, don't go.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mike M
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Was going to stay for 2 nights but cut short our stay. An hour or so after checking in the airplanes started to fly over the hotel alarming close.

Room was clean but not very welcoming. Bathroom was tired. Iron but no ironing board although they did bring me a table top ironing board to use but there's was no suitable table to put it on.

The crunch came in the morning when we went for breakfast and found one (yes ONE) table for al the guests to share and NO trays to take food back to your room. I'm guessing there were 50 or so rooms - not acceptable, better to not provide breakfast at all.

We had paid $99 for the first night it's not worth half of that.

I got the distinct impression the management / owners were doing the minimum required to call this a hotel.

Try the Clarion streets better and around the same price.

• Stayed: October 2011