“Decent place for a vacation on the cheap”

Monterey Fairgrounds Inn
Ranked #55 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
“Decent place for a vacation on the cheap”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We stayed only one night. Our room was the last one at the very top of the hill, so parking was a bit akward. But for around $70 it was a good deal. The room was clean and so was the bathroom. If your looking to do Monterey on the cheap, nothing fancy, you should go for it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room thats not up there huge hill!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Abbytalksalott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Don't ever stay here no matter how low the rates are. The beds and pillows are hard, the tv doesn't work, nor does the hot water, the fridge and heater run all night long and the walls are so thin I can hear it every time my neighbor farts, snores or coughs. It is literally the worst hotel/motel experience I've ever had. My room is missing the light bulbs because some tweaker no doubt stole 'em and the lobby reeks of Indian food. I thought $40 a night was a steal, I'd have slept better under a park bench.

Room Tip: don't stay here....anywhere but here!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Luke T

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

plymouth
Reviewed 30 November 2012

We have stayed in many econolodge's and this one was the worst! Some of the lights didn't work but worst of all the shower was discussing. We had to wear flipflops but it got worse as the water did not drain and after asking them to have a look at it... There was no improvement! Breakfast was poor in comparison to other econolodge breakfasts. It was not an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed November 2012
Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

This was a very nice econolodge compared to others i went to along my roadtrip out west. Maybe because of the fact its in monterey, but the price for the cleanliness and location was a bargain. Stayed at this chain in crescent city and it was pretty dumpy. Would consider staying here again if come back to monterey.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Andrewds84
Santa Barbara, California, United States
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My boyfriend, 2 friends and I shared a room at the Econo Lodge during the Gentlemen of the Road Tour which featured Mumford and Sons, Gogol Bordello, Group Love and many others. The Econo Lodge was conveniently situated directly across the street from the fairgrounds and it was apparent that many other festival goers were staying at the Econo Lodge as well, so I had no qualms when I asked for an extra pillow and was told they were out.

We only stayed one night so we didn't get to take advantage of the pool, which was fine by me since it had a strange green tint to the water. Also, it was pretty small and right in the parking lot, slightly awkward.

The staff was nice and helpful when called upon, especially after we returned from the festival which was amazing and included a carnival where Anne lost her phone on the bumper cars. Again. But we quickly found it and carried on with our good time.

The beds were adequate but the one Ben and I shared was pretty squeaky and not in a good way. I felt trapped in the prison of my own mind as sleep evaded me for fear of moving too much and waking everyone else in the room (including the flies).

We did, however, get to check in early despite earlier calls to the hotel to ask for early check in. We were gruffly told no, but Anne persisted when we arrived and we were able to check-in early after all. We were told, "If the room is clean you can stay in it." Luck (and the cleaning staff of apparently 1) was on our side!

We were delighted to find, when we entered the room, that there was a small kitchenette in the room although the cupboards either didn't close all the way or were blocked from opening by light fixtures. Also, the lampshades seemed pretty emo since all their lace and plastic was ripped and punctured. We also noticed a variety of unidentifiable smear stains on the walls (one of which appeared to be painted over). Many fixtures and outlets were broken and the bathroom light would only work when we said the magic word (which apparently is note "please" nor even a word that has been invented yet because we still don't know what it is).

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Abbey F
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This place is garbage and Sanjina the manager is a crook. I checked in and the room was horrible. The ceiling had a 6'x6' hole that was badly repaired. The bathroom floor had two colors from water damage or mildew. There was an unrepaired 1'x3' peeling of the sheetrock on the bathroom wall. The bathroom counter was damaged in two places. I pulled out the mattress covers and the mattresses were stinky and soiled. And, the entire room wreaked of some bad odor. In addition, my kids had requested a pool but the pool was green in color. The free breakfast was to be provided in the check-in/out room but only had one table for no more than 2-3 people. This is a motel that has 47 rooms! I took pictures to prove the conditions to the manager and complain that there was no way I was staying there. She commented that since I booked my reservations with Priceline that it was them that I had to request the refund from. I decided to forego staying in Monterey and just drive the two hours home and call Priceline. When I did contact Priceline they told me they had to confer with the manager and Sanjina the manager told them she was refusing my refund request because I used the room for two hours, which was not true. Liar! Check-in time was 3:00 PM and I checked out about 3:30 PM. I only stayed enough to take pictures and videos. Stay anywhere else but here. You have been warned. I am calling my credit card company and filing a formal complaint with Econo Lodge HQ and Priceline and enclosing photos.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank bluepacificwaters
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I have to agree with pretty much all of the other reviews...not any better or worse than anyone else (except the bedbugs - we looked, didn't find any). It was a noisy neighborhood what with the airport and fairground, but inside the room was nice and quiet. Nice to have a fridge and microwave, which were small but clean. We knew breakfast would be minimal so we picked up cinnamon rolls down on Cannery Row. Kids loved the heated pool. All in all it was decent for the price. Not a bad option for just a night or two when passing through.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family