When I travel for work I almost exclusively stay at chain hotels. On my most recent trip to Monterey one of my usuals was sold out, and the other was $300/night for some reason. That would not look good on my expense report! So I booked a night at Casa Munras after reading a few reviews. I honestly didn't have super high expectations for $150/night, but figured it was worth a shot.
My stay got off to a bit of a rocky start. The man at the front desk was very nice, and was able to extend my stay for a night due to a change in my travel plans. I was handed a key, and went off to my room. This is where it got a little awkward... I thought my key wasn't working in the door, until an elderly man (very obviously mid-nap sleepy) opened the door. Oops. So I went back to the front desk, the staff was very apologetic. I was upgraded to a room with a fireplace and given a bottle of wine. Nice! I understand that things happen, especially since I changed my reservation last minute. I was just glad to have a room without roommates.
I was given a new room on the second floor, in the back of the property. You can tell that the buildings are older, but have been maintained well. The landscaping is beautiful! The room looked to have been recently painted, and windows and bath fixtures were older but clean. I loved that all the windows in the room could be opened so you could get a breeze in the room! The bed is sooooo comfortable. I wish I had been here on vacation instead of for work so I could have slept in it more! Wifi is free and fast, there are outlets near the bed, and there was a lighted makeup mirror. (Ladies, you know how terrible it can be when the hotel bathroom has awkward lighting and shadows!) The biggest selling point in my opinion though, is that this hotel is in a very walkable part of town. Lots of restaurants are nearby (and not just the touristy ones!)
Be forewarned, if you are super sensitive to noises or light, this might not be the place for you. I could hear a minor amount of street noise (well, very minor compared to the major Atlanta street I live on), and the curtains/shutters were by no means blackout grade in the morning.
Bottom line, this was just as good as the chain hotels I usually stay at (and in this case a lot cheaper)... but I could park my car after I got back from work and walk to dinner, drinks, and shopping instead of having to worry about driving even more!! I will definitely be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of picturesque Old Town Monterey, the historic Casa Munras Hotel & Spa holds the distinction of being the first hotel in Monterey. True to its Spanish heritage, the hacienda-inspired design of this charming property embraces the California outdoors with relaxed, expansive grounds, creating a captivating environment for warm, welcoming accommodations. Whether traveling on business or enjoying a well-deserved vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TIG Global, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Larkspur Collection Casa Munras
- Larkspur Collection Monterey
- Casa Munras Garden Hotel