“Great stay... may have lured me away from chain hotels!”

Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 June 2012

When I travel for work I almost exclusively stay at chain hotels. On my most recent trip to Monterey one of my usuals was sold out, and the other was $300/night for some reason. That would not look good on my expense report! So I booked a night at Casa Munras after reading a few reviews. I honestly didn't have super high expectations for $150/night, but figured it was worth a shot.

My stay got off to a bit of a rocky start. The man at the front desk was very nice, and was able to extend my stay for a night due to a change in my travel plans. I was handed a key, and went off to my room. This is where it got a little awkward... I thought my key wasn't working in the door, until an elderly man (very obviously mid-nap sleepy) opened the door. Oops. So I went back to the front desk, the staff was very apologetic. I was upgraded to a room with a fireplace and given a bottle of wine. Nice! I understand that things happen, especially since I changed my reservation last minute. I was just glad to have a room without roommates.

I was given a new room on the second floor, in the back of the property. You can tell that the buildings are older, but have been maintained well. The landscaping is beautiful! The room looked to have been recently painted, and windows and bath fixtures were older but clean. I loved that all the windows in the room could be opened so you could get a breeze in the room! The bed is sooooo comfortable. I wish I had been here on vacation instead of for work so I could have slept in it more! Wifi is free and fast, there are outlets near the bed, and there was a lighted makeup mirror. (Ladies, you know how terrible it can be when the hotel bathroom has awkward lighting and shadows!) The biggest selling point in my opinion though, is that this hotel is in a very walkable part of town. Lots of restaurants are nearby (and not just the touristy ones!)

Be forewarned, if you are super sensitive to noises or light, this might not be the place for you. I could hear a minor amount of street noise (well, very minor compared to the major Atlanta street I live on), and the curtains/shutters were by no means blackout grade in the morning.

Bottom line, this was just as good as the chain hotels I usually stay at (and in this case a lot cheaper)... but I could park my car after I got back from work and walk to dinner, drinks, and shopping instead of having to worry about driving even more!! I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 170s range... that building is off the main parking lot path (so less foot/car...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank joyceroni

Reviewed 15 June 2012

We stayed here 4 nights as part of a group event. The average rating is because some things were good but some were terrible. The group rate was $119 but our room normally goes for $160. I'll start with the good. All but one of the staff was very helpful and friendly. The grounds around the hotel were beautifully landscaped with many flowers in bloom. The room unfortantely was probably the worst we had during a 10 day road trip through CA which was surprising from the exterior and lobby appearance of the hotel. Note that we are generally easier to please than most and don't normally complain. The room was very outdated as well as small. Very bad sound proofing. We had a first floor room and could hear every little noise. If someone walked by outside it sounded like they were walking through our room and if they were talking you could hear every word clearly. The carpet was brown and did good job of hiding the dirt. Our white socks would get brown just from walking around the room. I thought my wife was exaggerating but we did a test with clean socks. We were going to ask for another room but after talking to 4-5 other guests in our group, their rooms were the same and we didn't feel it was worth moving our stuff since we had already unpacked. Fortunately the bed was very comfortable. If there was exhaust ventilation in the bathroom it didn't work. You might cringe but if we had to go #2 we had to walk down to the lobby restroom to avoid fouling the air in the room for hours. Since there is no air conditioner in these rooms we couldn't even use that to circulate air. Later on in the week we did talk to one person who had an updated room which was nice so at least some rooms are remodeled. I expect for $119 in ritzy Monterey we got what we paid for but we were expecting much better based on the exterior appearance and normal price of the room of $160. We ate breakfast in the hotel resturant the first morning. It was terribly poor service (there were only 2 other tables with 2 people ea). The food was terrible. The eggs weren't cooked right and borderline cold, the toast was hard and dry as a week old cow patty. The potatoes had enough salt on them to cure a side of beef. This comes from me who salts everything. They were not edible. The coffee had to be from the night before and I can drink most any coffee and think its good. The server looked and acted like he'd rather be anywhere but working there. While we were there one guy got up and while he was leaving in disgust, he told the server he left money for the coffee and juice but wasn't paying for the meal because the toast was dry and everything was cold. Thats probably what we should have done but we sucked it up. To top it off it was very expensive. Fortunately the Denny's across the street is very well managed and is the best Denny's we've ever eaten at so thats where we went for breakfast from then on.
We had a banquest meal at the hotel with about 170 people that was decent. No complaints there. Again the wait staff for this banquet was very attentive and we gave them high praise.
From other reviews it sounds like Casa Munras does have some nice rooms so ask to see the room before you stay. Unfortunately because of our experience we wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you decide to stay!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JZRIV
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. While I appreciate you commending our front desk staff and landscaping I am very sorry to hear that the rest of your experience did not meet your expectations. I will make sure that both our housekeeping and food and beverage managers have reviewed your feedback as well. We have just rolled out a new breakfast program here at the hotel, and from what I have tasted and hear from guests so far it's great. I highly recommend the Spanish Eggs Benedict. I would love the opportunity to speak to you directly regarding your stay. Please don't hesitate to give me a call directly (831)-233-7902 or send me an email ssiino@larkspurhotels.com.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

We just got back from 5 nights at Casa Munras. The staff was really incredible - every single employee we dealt with was super nice and efficient. The hotel is very cute and the location is great - easy walk to downtown and several good restaurants nearby. The cozy queen room was small but comfortable. No problem connecting with the free Wi-Fi plus two computers are available off the lobby. We enjoyed drinks and small plates twice at Estaban during happy hour, discounts were good and the patio is pleasant. We were there for a meeting and those arrangements were handled well. We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank TeteDuFromage
sabrinajs, Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Thank you so much for your review. I am very happy that you enjoyed staying at our hotel for your conference. Sounds like you also had the good fortune to have enough time to experience some of what the nearby restaurants have to offer as well. Thanks again for your nice review and for mentioning your pleasant interactions with the staff. We hope you will come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a night and our friends had the connecting room. My rating is based on Casa Munras (not the spa or restaurant) just my room and the property. This is why it gets 5 stars. We did a little overnight trip to Carmel and Monterey to get away from the hectic bay area for a night and I have to say that the grounds are well kept, the room was nice and the bed....super comfortable! The bathroom was okay. Not best I've seen but it had a shower, sink and toilet, what else can I ask for?

There is a nice outside lounge area by the restaurant with an outdoor fireplace where you can go and enjoy the evening outside if you like with a glass of wine or beverage of your choice. The restaurant itself was on the weaker end for me. I mean $3 for a one chicken wing? No thanks! I'd rather spend $8 and get a plate of wings from wingstop or something.

Anyway, back to the room. I loved it. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud. I can't wait to go back again for another stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank questnmark
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Casa Munras was a great hotel to stay at during a conference in Monterey. It was very convenient to walk to the convention center and the wharf. It is a little bit of a hike to Cannery Row and the aquarium, but jumping in the car or on a bike is only a few minute ride. The hotel lobby, fire pit and pool were very nice and the hospitality was great. My only regret was that there were some cheaper rooms within the hotel that could've saved me some money.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BLtraveler22
sabrinajs, Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant time here during your conference. As you noted, this is a great place to stay if you are attending a function at the conference center not only because of our close proximity but also because we offer complimentary parking and wireless internet. As for Cannery Row we are about a mile and a half by way of the coastal walking trail, but through the summer season there is a free trolley going back and forth every 15 minutes. We do have a variety of room types and sizes that are priced accordingly and a knowledgeable reservations staff that can suggest the best room type for your preferences. We hope to have you come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is a great hotel to stay at. This property is near all the everything. A very short drive to Cannery Row and to the fair grounds. We stayed at this property because there was an event called Cali-Roots at the fair grounds which is only a 5 minute drive from the hotel. Big plus for the fire place and the front desk was excellent.

Room Tip: I reccomend this hotel for who is staing in the Montery area. I am sure I will be back at this hote...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ryan P
sabrinajs, Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for your nice review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and the convenience of our hotel to the Monterey Fairgrounds. I heard that Cali Roots festival was a big hit. You should come back and stay with us again for Monterey Bay Reggae Festival in July. Again, thanks for the nice review.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

after 6 places we saw in monterey we found munras

all of the others were crapy

munras is avery nuce palce
the romm are spacious, u have parking near and a pool

1 minute walking u have denny's and aupermarket