“Mostly enjoyable”

Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed there for 3 nights in late June/early July and for the most part enjoyed it. We had a king bed traditional room. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quite large. For us, the downside was that there was no air conditioning. The temperatures in the evening were cool and pleasant, but due to the density and layout of the hotel, with the windows open, it was quite noisy, and didn't feel very private. The parking was limited, but not really a problem except on a Saturday night. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant twice and it was good-- we loved the coffee! Landscaping was also beautiful and it is apparent they work hard on it. Lobby is beautifully decorated.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank April C
sabrinajs, Front Office Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad you took the time to appreciate the landscaping. Everything is in bloom in the summer months especially our rose garden and Bougainvillea. Due to the mostly moderate coastal climate here in Monterey our hotel, and most hotels in the area do not have air conditioning. I truly apologize that keeping your windows open resulted in some unwanted noise. In the future we do have fans available upon request or would be happy to pre-block you into a room with a ceiling fan. Please come back and stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stayed here while visiting Monterey. It has a nice lobby and swimming pool , parking is free. The rooms are small and very basic. Was quiet in the evenings. For a few nights it was ok. They have a nice patio area with a fire pit you can sit round in the evenings.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TaylorMade45
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you did not experience any problems during your stay, and that you enjoyed the free parking and firepit. I'm sorry to hear that your overall impression of the hotel was just "ok". We have several different room types, that range from fairly basic to deluxe. Should you stay with us again, I would highly reccommend our Deluxe King with Fireplace room or Concierge King. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can help you making future reservations, or if you would like to discuss your stay any further.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Casa Munras through a Hotwire deal and it was such a great place for one night. Check-in was super easy and I loved the setup. The room was really comfortable and quiet. I also liked the in-room fridge, free wi-fi, and bathrobes. I would definitely come back again. Plus, it's super close to Cannery Row and 17 Mile Drive.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay. We'd love to have you back to stay with us again.

Reviewed 30 June 2012

We stayed here for 1 night.
Check in was easy, good direction to room.
The hotel is ' Motel style' ( i.e. you park outside your room, and access it from outside).
We didn't realise this was the set up (not a fan of this, and would have chose somewhere els, had we known).
The room was pretty good, we could hear a little noise from our neighbouring room.
The blinds also let in a little street light (no curtains).
Good otherwise.

Room Tip: 5 minutes walk to the main street, 15 minutes to the beach. Dennys and x2 garages (gas stations) ne...
1  Thank UK_AEH
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you had an overall positive experience. You are correct that most of our rooms do open to the exterior, rather than an interior hallway. However, we do have Concierge King and a Manor House Suite room type that are located in our lobby building and open to the inside. We would love to have you stay with us again and expereince one of these rooms.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

After having just spent more the night before for a smaller room at the Marriott San Francisco Fisherman's Warf where we also paid $48/day for valet only parking, plus $12.95 for Internet, plus tips for everything, Casa Munras has them beat on every level. We found them on Priceline, but booked it direct on the Larkspur website at 25% off to get the larger room. We had their Concierge King room with fireplace for 3-nights. It was a spacious, clean and beautiful room with fireplace, large flat screen tv, comfy bed and huge soaking tub & shower. And unlike the Marriott the night before, we had free parking & free Internet at Casa Munras. They also have a spa, heated pool, bar and restaurant onsite, and it is only 2-blocks to the downtown dining & entertainment areas, and about 8-9 blocks to the Fisherman's Warf area. Staff here was very friendly & helpful. Overall the hotel & restaurant are a fairly romantic setting for lovers young & old. It was a great stay, and not our last. Sorry Marriott, but we'll be searching for Larkspur Collection properties on all future travels.

Room Tip: Rooms are as pictured, despite another comment otherwise.
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you so much for your recent stay and review of our hotel. Its great to hear that you will stay with the Larkspur Hotels group in the future. We have some great properties, and the WiFi is always free! Please come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

The Casa Munras is a wonderful hotel.

All of the staff that we interacted with were extremely friendly and knowledgable. Every question we asked from dining options to directions was handled in a pleasant and professional manner. They really enjoy giving great customer service. Our room was well appointed and had a very nice feel to it. Very comfortable bed with fluffly pillows made for a comfortable nights sleep. Flat screen television with DVD player, you can check out DVD's from the library at the Front Desk for free. They have a great selection of movies to choose from. The WIFI reception is exceptional and fast. We loved the pool it is spacious, there are more than enough lounge chairs and towels were always available. The water is wonderfully warm and so relaxing. The restaurant on property is fantastic with a great happy hour that has a lot of food and drink options to choose from. The service is fast and the food tastes great. The chef is actually out on the floor interacting with all of the guests. This is a very nice touch that makes the experience very personable. Downtown is about 3 to 4 blocks away. There are shops and restaurants galore, Fishermans wharf is a little farther down and from there you can continue on to Cannery Row. If you do not feel like walking there is a free shuttle that picks up a couple of blocks away from Casa Munras that will take you to all of these locations and back. Just inquire at the Front Desk and they will show you how and where to catch the shuttle.

My wife and I could not have chosen a better place to celebrate 25th wedding anniversary.

Thank you very much to the Casa Munras staff for creating a great memory on our special weekend.

Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you so much for your review of the hotel and restaurant. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. It sounds like you really made the most of your stay. Please do come back and see us again sometime.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

When I travel for work I almost exclusively stay at chain hotels. On my most recent trip to Monterey one of my usuals was sold out, and the other was $300/night for some reason. That would not look good on my expense report! So I booked a night at Casa Munras after reading a few reviews. I honestly didn't have super high expectations for $150/night, but figured it was worth a shot.

My stay got off to a bit of a rocky start. The man at the front desk was very nice, and was able to extend my stay for a night due to a change in my travel plans. I was handed a key, and went off to my room. This is where it got a little awkward... I thought my key wasn't working in the door, until an elderly man (very obviously mid-nap sleepy) opened the door. Oops. So I went back to the front desk, the staff was very apologetic. I was upgraded to a room with a fireplace and given a bottle of wine. Nice! I understand that things happen, especially since I changed my reservation last minute. I was just glad to have a room without roommates.

I was given a new room on the second floor, in the back of the property. You can tell that the buildings are older, but have been maintained well. The landscaping is beautiful! The room looked to have been recently painted, and windows and bath fixtures were older but clean. I loved that all the windows in the room could be opened so you could get a breeze in the room! The bed is sooooo comfortable. I wish I had been here on vacation instead of for work so I could have slept in it more! Wifi is free and fast, there are outlets near the bed, and there was a lighted makeup mirror. (Ladies, you know how terrible it can be when the hotel bathroom has awkward lighting and shadows!) The biggest selling point in my opinion though, is that this hotel is in a very walkable part of town. Lots of restaurants are nearby (and not just the touristy ones!)

Be forewarned, if you are super sensitive to noises or light, this might not be the place for you. I could hear a minor amount of street noise (well, very minor compared to the major Atlanta street I live on), and the curtains/shutters were by no means blackout grade in the morning.

Bottom line, this was just as good as the chain hotels I usually stay at (and in this case a lot cheaper)... but I could park my car after I got back from work and walk to dinner, drinks, and shopping instead of having to worry about driving even more!! I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 170s range... that building is off the main parking lot path (so less foot/car...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business