“Great Place to stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Northern California
“Great Place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2009

I was a little scared about staying after reading some of the reviews but then thought you can't please everyone. So when we pulled up I thought not bad then went inside and was treated wonderful by the staff so I am 2 for 2 then went to my room and by the way they let me check in early so I open my door to my room it had a pretty good smelling scent to it. The room was clean the bed was great got a free DVD to watch in our room wasn't able to watch it all becasue I fell fast asleep. And I didn't even hear the maid service outside till like 10am. I would stay here again in a heart beat

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Polish first
Roseville, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2009

Stayed here for just two nights, but wished it was more. Read some reviews that concerned me regarding their rooms and noise levels, but when I called to reserve, the clerk, Brian, listened to my needs and set us up in a 2 story unit, top floor, with only two neighbors. Check in was great. Manny took care of us, offered his services, and everyone at the hotel seemed genuinely appreciative of us being there. The king fireplace room was definitely older, but large and had modern furnishings. Comfortable bed! The hotel is obviously older, as many buildings in older, seaside, towns, but the renovations are nice and the property is very well kept up. The bathroom tile and tub were worn, but clean. It is kind of like a motor lodge, where you drive right to your front door, but that was the architecture of the day, and adds to it's quaintness. No generic Holiday Inn Express here, very nice. We did notice some of the single bed rooms w/o fireplaces were right next to driveways and appeared to be small, but the property's resort-feel makes it seem like a classic, Palm Springs, traditional resort.

The staff were outstanding. All of them, without fail. The level of service the staff exhibited is what will bring me back to this gem many more times.

The restaurant was one of the best, and definitely most fun meals, I have had in a long time. I've eaten in Monterey many times, and this is up there with the finest. It is a Tapas style restaurant: gourmet small plates meant to be shared. Add a pitcher of fresh, homemade Sangria, and a young but eager staff, and you have a great and delicious time. The restaurant is casual, but not too much so. And if the weather was decent, you can eat out on the patio next to the glass fireplace.

Listen, if you want a five star, or even four star, cookie-cutter resort, this is not for you. If you want a nice place to stay, excellent attentive service, in a historic and charming atmosphere, this is the place for you. I have stayed in a lot of the larger chain hotels before, but after a while they all look and feel the same; this trip will be remembered for the hotel as well our spending time together. Hope this review helps!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank silverstater
Redding, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

I'm a bit late getting this review out, but before you plan your next vacation to Monterey you should be aware of some things about this hotel. First, you should know that the rooms we stayed in look nothing like those on their web site. The ones we were assigned were out in the back corner of the parking lots and were very old (although large) and in need of some serious updating. In addition, you should be aware that Parking near your room when the hotel is full is impossible and there is no elevator to the second floor. Our arrival was very late and after we found parking (far from our rooms) and we entered our rooms to a strong moldy smell that permeated the room and because there were no fans or air conditioning we had to sleep with the windows open to help with the smell. The next morning (and every morning) Very Very Early in the morning we were awakened by the screaming of seagulls (birds do get up very early) and even when we closed the windows you can hear them through the chimney. I was also shocked to find the source of the moldy smell was black and pink mold all over the shower walls and at the tub drain. I notified the Hotel and asked that it be cleaned before our return that evening and was assured it would; however, it was not taken care of at all and I had to request it after the second morning as well. They did clean the mold after the second morning, but then you could see how dirty the walls really were. On our check out I let the hotel know that they might want to look at the shower walls a little closer before their next guests checked into them to make sure they were really clean and was given a very small cash refund on our rooms (less than 1/2 one nights stay and we stayed 3 nights!) for our inconvenience. I did like the grounds and the pool. I believe the place has definite possibilities, it's just not there yet. Also, there was no breakfast served at the hotel's restaurant, but there is a Denny's across the street and a cute and very good bakery/restaurant just up the street past that.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank wifelytraveler
Southern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2009

Me and my husband stayed at Casa Munras for 1 night only and I am really glad it was only for 1 night. The staff was very pleasant I must say but the rooms were not at all what I expected. Very small rooms... thought I was in a jail cell. At about 3:30 am I was waken up by a very loud bang which lasted on and off until about 4:30 am. My husband told me never to get this hotel again when we visit Monterey. We have stayed at the Best Western Victorian Inn before and that was very nice. Would rather pay a little more for a better room.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BelieverinHim
dlmcleodsr@earthlink.net
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2009

I was very surprised at this hotel. We were attending a conference and in the past we haven't had the best of spots. The staff went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. The lobby was beautiful. The room was cute and compfy. The grounds were lovely and the pool was heated! I've never been anywhere else at this price level where you could use the pool in the winter!

1 Thank deannie
San Fancisco Bay Region
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2009

An unqualified delight. Mixed reviews on the web made us uncertain about Casa Munras. Given our experience we can only assume that thee must be great variability in accommodations here. We were upgraded to a larger room with quenn bed & fireplace. It was claen, warm, cozy & restful. They have complimentary parking (10 feet from door), interbet, paper, DVDs, Fitnes center, spa & pool all available. Staff are outstanding; hard to find staff with such a consistently friendly, ougoing & helful attitude. All in all we were pleasantly surprised & grateful. We will return without hesitation.

Oakland, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2009

What an awful hotel for the price. After a 10 hour day at work I drive a few hours to get the hotel for a conference only to have to face no parking near the reception to check in. Then I am given a room on the second floor of an old building with no elevator and steep old stairs. And of course there was no one to help carry my bags. I was told there was free wifi but after a 1/2 hour trying to connect I call the front desk for assisstance only to be told that I should try the wireless connection for the travelodge down the street. I also found out that breakfast is served late in the morning during the time I'm in the conference. Lastly the bed is so old and uncomfortable that I'm unable to sleep!

3 Thank FrequentBizTrvlr2009