“Didn't get a great night's sleep but good place for young families”

Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 April 2009

We stayed here one night and were glad to leave. It is definitely more of a motel rather than hotel. It has a motor inn vibe to the place. now there are some nice features..the lounge area is nicely furnished and you can relax outside on the patio when the weather is warm.

we were hoping to go for a swim but it was full of screaming happy children. I was happy for them as they were enjoying themselves but it wasn't what I was hoping for! I think it is a great location for families however and I'd recommend it for families. The bedroom was adequate and there was free internet..a bonus and a movie supply available...also a bonus. The bed was comfortable enough and overall the room was clean. I think the one problem we had was that we could hear people snoring next door and also could hear full conversations. So if you're a light sleeper and don't wear earplugs, beware! For Monterey, it is probably a good deal and if that is most important, then I'd recommend it.

1  Thank madcritic
There are newer reviews for Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 14 April 2009

When you book a room through Hotwire, you just never know. Casa Munras isn't a 3.5 star hotel. It's just an old motel. The property has a lovely lobby/restaurant/spa, but the rooms are where you'll spend your time, and they're what you'd expect at a Best Western, except smaller. The linens? Nothing special. The noise? Holy cow. On our first night, the couple in the room to the right had an extended romantic interlude, the occupants on our left were watching a movie and in the room below the kids were too excited to settle down - and we got to experience all of it. Very thin walls. And because this is a motel, expect to experience the fun at the pool even while you're relaxing in your room. It's 3 miles to Cannery Row or the aquarium, so you'll still have to drive there. Positives? Trader Joe's and Peet's coffee are within walking distance. And there's a Denny's directly across the street, enhancing the BW vibe (nothing complements a motel morning like a Grand Slam). The property is clean, and the fitness center has well-maintained, fresh cardio equipment. WiFi was strong, fast and reliable.

1  Thank SFRonster
Reviewed 12 April 2009

We stayed at the MOTEL for 2 hours ! Had we been prepared for a Motel , instead of the Hotel as it is stated to be (and advertised as a 3 1/2 star) perhaps the disappointment would not have been so strong. The internet pictures show a classy looking establishment, and when you are in the lobby and adjoining restaurant, it looks nice. Then you weave through the parking lot and pull up in front of your room . The carpet was dirty, didn't want to take off my shoes, and the duvet was totally crinkled with wrinkles. Lesson learned, never use Priceline! They took a bid for $71.00 over what the advertised price was for this MOTEL! It is owned by Larkspur Hotel & Restaurants so BEWARE of what they are advertising.

1  Thank sbelle50
Reviewed 11 April 2009

This was our second stay at Casa Munras since it has been taken over by Larkspur Hotels. We travel to Monterey often and are always looking for a convenient and affordable hotel with upscale accommodations and services -- something very difficult to find in this area – and Casa Munras fits the bill. We have taken advantage of specially-priced packages each time and not been disappointed. The registration staff is extremely knowledgeable and willing to please. Free wireless access is available in both the lobby and the guest rooms. The onsite restaurant, Esteban’s, offers a reasonably-priced buffet breakfast as well as dinner with live entertainment.

It is important to note that this is not your typical Larkspur hotel in that it was not specifically built as a Larkspur property. It is the site of an historical landmark and Monterey’s first garden hotel originally built in the 70’s. Since Larkspur acquired the property in 2005, it has undergone much renovation to upgrade the facility, but so far several of the buildings still remains fairly dated. For a more modern room, you can request the 500 building which was constructed in the 90’s. We were told that renovation of the bathrooms in the older buildings is due to happen in the next year or so and it is sorely needed. We have stayed in both locations on the property. In either case, one of the downfalls of this hotel is that the rooms are not well insulted so noise from adjoining rooms can be an issue depending on your neighbors. Also, there is a heated pool, but the whirlpool spa was added next to the onsite Sano Spa and is limited to the use of Spa guests only.

1  Thank 1webwiz
Reviewed 7 April 2009

This is a very nice and economical place to stay in this area. It is not a "Resort" with a golf course, etc., but it is charming with a nice pool, good comfortable rooms a friendly staff and an interesting restaurant. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and it exceeded my expectations in every way.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2009

I was a little scared about staying after reading some of the reviews but then thought you can't please everyone. So when we pulled up I thought not bad then went inside and was treated wonderful by the staff so I am 2 for 2 then went to my room and by the way they let me check in early so I open my door to my room it had a pretty good smelling scent to it. The room was clean the bed was great got a free DVD to watch in our room wasn't able to watch it all becasue I fell fast asleep. And I didn't even hear the maid service outside till like 10am. I would stay here again in a heart beat

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Stayed here for just two nights, but wished it was more. Read some reviews that concerned me regarding their rooms and noise levels, but when I called to reserve, the clerk, Brian, listened to my needs and set us up in a 2 story unit, top floor, with only two neighbors. Check in was great. Manny took care of us, offered his services, and everyone at the hotel seemed genuinely appreciative of us being there. The king fireplace room was definitely older, but large and had modern furnishings. Comfortable bed! The hotel is obviously older, as many buildings in older, seaside, towns, but the renovations are nice and the property is very well kept up. The bathroom tile and tub were worn, but clean. It is kind of like a motor lodge, where you drive right to your front door, but that was the architecture of the day, and adds to it's quaintness. No generic Holiday Inn Express here, very nice. We did notice some of the single bed rooms w/o fireplaces were right next to driveways and appeared to be small, but the property's resort-feel makes it seem like a classic, Palm Springs, traditional resort.

The staff were outstanding. All of them, without fail. The level of service the staff exhibited is what will bring me back to this gem many more times.

The restaurant was one of the best, and definitely most fun meals, I have had in a long time. I've eaten in Monterey many times, and this is up there with the finest. It is a Tapas style restaurant: gourmet small plates meant to be shared. Add a pitcher of fresh, homemade Sangria, and a young but eager staff, and you have a great and delicious time. The restaurant is casual, but not too much so. And if the weather was decent, you can eat out on the patio next to the glass fireplace.

Listen, if you want a five star, or even four star, cookie-cutter resort, this is not for you. If you want a nice place to stay, excellent attentive service, in a historic and charming atmosphere, this is the place for you. I have stayed in a lot of the larger chain hotels before, but after a while they all look and feel the same; this trip will be remembered for the hotel as well our spending time together. Hope this review helps!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple