“Not what we expected…” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey
“Not what we expected…”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2009

We stayed at Casa Munras for one night. I booked 3 star hotel based on good reviews and internet pictures. Lobby indeed is very nice, front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. Pool looked nice, we did not have a chance to use it. I was extremely disappointed when we entered our room… We booked Basic Queen room ($150), they call it cozy… It was not cozy at all, it was very tiny, there was no space for our bags. It did not look very clean to me, maybe because it was old. Very thin walls, we could hear every word from the room above us, it was a problem to park our car, we circled parking lot twice and then parked on handicapped space. It is an old motel, like other reviews say here. I’m glad it was only for one night.

2 Thank SK99NewJersey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Polish first
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2009

We enjoyed our stay at Casa Munras tremendously! After a long drive from San Diego, it was like heaven having such plush beds to fall fast asleep in. The staff were courteous and efficient. The hotel is charming and inviting - as soon as you walk into the main entrance a feeling of tranquility comes over you. We regret that we only stayed one night - we hope to visit again in the Fall for several days.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank collegemomsandiego
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2009

Stayed here for four days attending a conference. Quiet and classy accommodation which is within easy walking distance to many Monterey attractions, and the staff were extremely helpful and courteous. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank IncidentalTraveler09
Burbank, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

Let me preface my review by letting you know I work for a company that maintains hotels and motels in an investment portfolio. So, I am aware of the marketing effort that takes place to draw in people. That said:

This is one of the few places where, the moment I arrived at the room, I partook of the free wifi to find out what the cancellation policy is. We booked the place for 3 nights, and within 5 minutes of walking into the room, I had canceled the third night (48 hour notification unfortunately).

I was almost willing to cut this place some slack and say that I came with VASTLY different expectations than what the reality is. As another reviewer noted, I was under the assumption that this place was a cozy, boutique-ish hotel that was quiet and would provide a relaxing getaway vacation. Good Lord was I wrong. This place is nothing more than a second rate motel. However, upon reflection, I am not willing to give this place a pass. They actively marketed this place to make it seem like it is a cute little boutique. Let me reiterate: Nothing better than a typical motel.

The first night, I didn't sleep b/c my legs were itching so bad, I finally had to go and put on some sweats (alleviated the situation). Also, the in-wall heater is so loud, I had to turn it off and brave the cold in order to drift off into a haphazard sleep.

Let me tell you: Arriving at this place with the expectations I had (drawn from their representations on the website), I have rarely been more disappointed in my life with regards to 'hotel' accommodations. And let me tell you; the other, more disappointing instances involved third-world countries, very late arrival times, and communication difficulties.

Please note, the website photos represent the absolute best side of the property. Larkspur obviously put a ton of money in the lobby, the 'spa' and the street-side portion of the property. The rooms aren't disgusting, but could be best characterized as barely above average (for a motel). Walls are thin; 1st floor hears walking on the second floor loud and clear; and I can't tell you enough how loud that stupid wall heater is. Not a relaxing getaway.

And anyone that raves about this 'motel' being 'cute,' 'quaint', or 'excellent' is either (i) the management, or (ii) homeless.

3 Thank Scotucla
vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

We stayed here one night and were glad to leave. It is definitely more of a motel rather than hotel. It has a motor inn vibe to the place. now there are some nice features..the lounge area is nicely furnished and you can relax outside on the patio when the weather is warm.

we were hoping to go for a swim but it was full of screaming happy children. I was happy for them as they were enjoying themselves but it wasn't what I was hoping for! I think it is a great location for families however and I'd recommend it for families. The bedroom was adequate and there was free internet..a bonus and a movie supply available...also a bonus. The bed was comfortable enough and overall the room was clean. I think the one problem we had was that we could hear people snoring next door and also could hear full conversations. So if you're a light sleeper and don't wear earplugs, beware! For Monterey, it is probably a good deal and if that is most important, then I'd recommend it.

1 Thank madcritic
SF, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

When you book a room through Hotwire, you just never know. Casa Munras isn't a 3.5 star hotel. It's just an old motel. The property has a lovely lobby/restaurant/spa, but the rooms are where you'll spend your time, and they're what you'd expect at a Best Western, except smaller. The linens? Nothing special. The noise? Holy cow. On our first night, the couple in the room to the right had an extended romantic interlude, the occupants on our left were watching a movie and in the room below the kids were too excited to settle down - and we got to experience all of it. Very thin walls. And because this is a motel, expect to experience the fun at the pool even while you're relaxing in your room. It's 3 miles to Cannery Row or the aquarium, so you'll still have to drive there. Positives? Trader Joe's and Peet's coffee are within walking distance. And there's a Denny's directly across the street, enhancing the BW vibe (nothing complements a motel morning like a Grand Slam). The property is clean, and the fitness center has well-maintained, fresh cardio equipment. WiFi was strong, fast and reliable.

1 Thank SFRonster
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2009

We stayed at the MOTEL for 2 hours ! Had we been prepared for a Motel , instead of the Hotel as it is stated to be (and advertised as a 3 1/2 star) perhaps the disappointment would not have been so strong. The internet pictures show a classy looking establishment, and when you are in the lobby and adjoining restaurant, it looks nice. Then you weave through the parking lot and pull up in front of your room . The carpet was dirty, didn't want to take off my shoes, and the duvet was totally crinkled with wrinkles. Lesson learned, never use Priceline! They took a bid for $71.00 over what the advertised price was for this MOTEL! It is owned by Larkspur Hotel & Restaurants so BEWARE of what they are advertising.

1 Thank sbelle50