“Horrible”

Monterey Fireside Lodge
Ranked #53 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Fireside and what a mistake. A complete misrepresentation on the internet.
Let's start with the advertised air conditioned room. There was NO air conditioning. No mistake...just fraud.
The motel is more of a residential motel. Although it was steaming hot without air conditioning,I was afraid to leave my windows open for fear the gang members living below me would let themselves in via the window and either attack me or steal all of my property.
All I kept thinking of was the Bates Motel. This motel was only something seen in movies, the scary kind.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Alan W

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Beware of this property!! Pictures and description on-line and over the phone are nothing like the actual room. Fireplaces do not work and when I asked about the kitchenette only having a sink and stove top knobs removed I was told it was due to fire department code enforcement. Carpet was beyond filthy and little refrigerator smelled so sour that I got box of baking soda and Clorox wipes to clean it out. Shower curtain had black mold and toilet didn't flush correctly. Most rooms seem more like a low budget extend stay place with regular tenants. Listened as one family came up to their room, took a look and walked back out to "unregister" because of the poor condition of the room. They asked me for a $100 deposit when I checked in because they wanted to be sure we left the room in good shape, but when I went to check out and asked if someone could go to the room with me to verify all was in good shape, the little elderly lady that owns the place was rude and absolutely refused. Believe me when I say, this is absolutely a Buyer Beware situation! Avoid!!!!

Room Tip: Sorry Folks!! There are no good rooms!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Marsha519
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The faux-leather dining room chair was peeling. The small ikea table with elementary-school style chair had a single harsh overhead light that made it feel like an interrogation room. The king-size mattress was the least comfortable "bed"-like horizontal surface I have ever slept on. My wife got up in the middle of the night and slept on the (random) twin bed that was also in the room. I followed suit about an hour later. The twin was WAY more comfortable than the king, even considering the size and the plastic crinkling of the mattress covering. One of the sheets had a blood stain. No cups for water. 15" TV in the far corner of the room that got about 20 channels despite the DirecTV listing suggesting closer to 100. Extra $20 per pet and we walked away from this gem for the low, low price of $210 before taxes.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank calaw2010
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I called to this Motel after a long drive on 22nd September I was looking for one night accommadation for myself and my wife. For one night I was charged $169 plus tax (Total $180). Very bad value for the level of services available. No coffee making, NoTV channels other than TV Shops,No iron, No hairdryer, poor quality towels and generally shabby. I got a lot better accomadation for less than half this figure at other hotels.

Also I checked on line after I checked in and this very same hotel were offering the same room for $89 plus tax (Their own website). I feel they took advantage of the fact that I was new to the town and hadn't checked other hotels. I will not be back

Room Tip: If you want any little comforts don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank E M S
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I booked a room at this motel based on Trip Advisor ratings and reviews. For the price it
was not what I had expected. We, myself and two smallish dogs, had a larger than average but basically a generic motel room. For the price, $218, I expected better. The mattress was covered with plastic that loudly crinkled whenever I sat on it. The "fireplace" didn't work, there
were only small foil packets of shampoo and no hairdryer. Not the cozy placed depicted
on their website. "Pet rooms" are all upstairs, rather inconvenient for a night time piddle.
Maybe their non-pet rooms are the romantic rooms pictured. The young man at the front
desk was helpful with tips about walking around Monterey.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you don't have a pet with you; inspect the room before you pay for it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank snorkelpal
Reviewed 7 July 2012

When booking this room, I was assisted by a very gracious and helpful employee at the front desk. Her name is Shin and her hospitality and courtesy are the primary reasons that I booked this hotel. All customer service representatives could learn from this woman. Hats off to her.

Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharon c
Reviewed 22 April 2012

If you want 5, 4, or even 3 star amenities, stay away from this place. But, if you want a little atmosphere and adventure, and have a dog, this may be the place for you. Affordable and quiet, your hostess, Shin, will treat you with respect and care. They just painted the place, and the rooms are supposed to be non-smoking. Ours reeked of smoke. The tv was dinky, but we had DirectTV. Cute, but odd kitchenette with fridge and micro. King and twin bed in the room. Non-matching quilts, but all was clean. We got the interesting fireplace to work. Shower was dated but clean. Worked great. No coffee provided or anywhere near. Ice machine had plenty of ice. A few long-term tenants. We were disappointed at first, but actually enjoyed our stay at this family-run place. It turned out to be safe and pleasant. We stayed for 3 nights.

• Stayed: April 2012