“If you want the Plaza "PAY FOR IT!" otherwise...”

Monterey Fireside Lodge
Ranked #54 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Bay Area, California
“If you want the Plaza "PAY FOR IT!" otherwise...”
Reviewed 27 June 2009

This is the place if you don't want to spend a fortune and you don't mind a little funky hotel that is older but clean. We took off from there with our bikes and saw all of Montery. So it is what it is. Cheap, clean, and in Montery.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Toronto
Reviewed 26 February 2009

My friends booked this motel, and I wish they had checked here for reviews. Yes it had a fireplace - gas, decorative rather than heating, and we had to pay extra for it. The room was very crowded, and it got worse when they brought a "cot" for our extra person - an uncomfortable thin foam mattress. I wonder if the cleaning supplies just smelled, or caused me allergies & aches. There was an old kitchenette, no longer working, but luckily they had a functional new microwave & fridge. The residential location was sweet, but there were no useful stores nearby.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Belmont, ca
Reviewed 23 July 2008

I have been visiting Monterey on and off for about 20 years. I like to stay at the Butterfly Grove Inn, but they were all sold out on the weekend of July 19-20 because of the Laguna Seca Races. My girlfriend and I wanted to stay the night in Monterey to look at all the bikes on Canery Row, so we called around and found the Fireside Lodge. We checked out there web site, gave them a call and got a room. ($189.00) for Saturday night. It was a bit steep, but everyone was sold out. The lady on the phone wasnt very nice, but I figured she was fairly busy and wanted to get off the phone.

We got to the motel around 5pm Saturday. The lady at the front desk was the same lady on the phone and had the same attitude.(almost insulting).

The motel looked like an old apartment building. The parking was scarce and some of the stalls were used as a storage dump.

The room was cheep to say the least. Old furniture, old carpets, old paint, and very run down. No clock, no coffee machine, small tv, musty smell, run down bathroom.

We tried to turn on the fire place, but that didnt work. We asked about the fire place in the morning and she said "fireplace no work, good heater" ,then she just walked away.

It was such a bad experiance, that I have to tell someone!!! DON'T STAY HERE!!!
This is the first time I have felt compelled to give a bad review.

• Liked — Getting out of there
  • Disliked — Everything!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GlassManBelmont_ca
San Jose
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Booked through Craigslist/Kate; called her three times, each time was told she'd have to call me back. She misquoted the room type and the rate twice. By the time she told me the property name, it was too late to switch (not many places allow dogs), so I didn't have the benefit of TripAdvisor reviews. DON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE!

Rooms are completely outdated, look like they have not been painted in 10 years. "Kitchenette" was a joke; neither the stove nor the fridge worked. There was an additional apartment sized fridge and microwave wedged into the room along with creepy old tables and a desk, leaving nearly no space whatsoever to walk. The two queens turned out to be a queen and a twin, and the mattresses were ultra cheap and very old, the pillows were equally sad. You can see through the sheets, the blanket was moth eaten and stained, and the bed cover was just gross. The rug had no padding and looked like outdoor carpet. There was no ceiling fan and no a/c, so we roasted the first night (even though it was in the low 70s outside). The towels in the bathroom were not only small, but as thin as a dishtowel and as rough as sandpaper. There was no clock in the room, the TV was tiny and way over in a corner, and there was no where to sit comfortably except for the bed.

Oh, and we arrived after 10 p.m. to find a note on the door with our name, telling us our key was under the mat.

I didn't expect a lot for the price, but if we could have found somewhere else to stay, I would moved that night. Pay an extra $20 and stay somewhere better!

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank BflyVi
Redlands. CA
Reviewed 30 November 2007

We travel to Monterey every Thanksgiving weekend for a pre-holiday get-away. This was the first year we have brought our Great Dane on a trip with us, so I admit to being in-experienced with "dog-friendly" motels. After calling other motels/hotels in the area, this was the least expensive hotel and they offered me an even better rate for a room with a fireplace and agreed to the size of our dog.

Upon arrival, the same nice Asian lady all reveiws have mentioned, was very cordial. After checking me in, she then chased me into the parking lot to apoligize that she had to change our room, as the fireplace was not working in the original. The room was very outdated, sort of a 70's look, with nothing on the walls, white/creme paint and a bit of a musky smell, which I was able to cover with the air freshner I travel with. Her helper (son?) came and lit the pilot light on the fireplace, and showed us how to operate. It was just a light switch to turn on and off. Unfortunatly, the fireplace never grew larger than a pilot light. There was a little kitchenette in the middle of the room, which we didnt need, but gave us more storage space to keep stuff off the floor from the dog. It also had a little floor fridge and Microwave. No clock in the room, so we used the microwave clock. The TV is small and on the opposite side of the room, not comfortable to watch TV in bed. And one window faced a brick wall.

However, the main thing that made this hotel and our stay redeemable, was the excellent service from the lady and her son. When I asked about the "Continental" breakfast, she said to come to the lobby and she would have it ready for us. When I showed up, she had made a tray to take back to our room, with muffins, orange slices and coffee. When I asked about making a local call, she said she would take it off my bill. They were very helpful, and her son offered to give us dining suggestions.
We saw a couple other customers check in with dogs, and never heard them while we were there. There is a small grass/weed walk across the street from the hotel to take the dog to do her thing. But the shore and a park are all near enough to take a walk to also.

This hotel is not a high class get-away, but it will get the job done, if you just need a place to crash, or inexpensive get-away. The location is perfect for Monterey and Carmel site-seeing. We felt very safe and enjoyed walking around the residential neighborhood around the corner.

Stayed November 2007
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 8 October 2007

What a disappointment. I had booked this hotel for an anniversary getaway because they were pet-friendly. The pictures looked ok on the website, and I suppose that the $140 rate was average in the area.

We ended up checking in, and checking out thirty minutes later. The hotel was really old and run-down. From the outside, we were questioning if it was safe. The room was so "blah". Fireplace is tiny. The bed looked as though it was twenty years old. Decor is embaressing. There's a kitchen sink that just sits in the middle of the room. Windows were all open (and yes, one just faces a brick wall). It didn't feel safe.

SO not worth the money. Like I said, we ended up checking out 30 minutes later and just going home. We just considered it a $140 loss.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LostMyMarbles
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed 24 August 2007

This hotel was priced just right not to high nor to low.
could not pass this up at this time of the year,you can not beat the price.
I was stayed for 3 days. and then went to whitter,CA.
This is a must stay hotel....I will be back next year:

• Liked — The service and the personal..
  • Disliked — Nee'd a extra bed for my son witch came in that night.We waited for 1/2 hr.but you have prob like that in all hotels..
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank WAYNE069