“Hidden Gem! Staff, Location, Room were A++”

Monterey Fireside Lodge
Ranked #55 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Carmel, California
“Hidden Gem! Staff, Location, Room were A++”
Reviewed 19 December 2009

I stayed at the Fireside Lodge in Monterey with my boyfriend and really enjoyed my trip. I found the staff to be extremely friendly, very unassuming, and quite helpful. The room was spacious, clean and quaint. I knew when I went to this motel that it was nothing like the Travelodge or Motel 8 -- that is why I went there. That is also why I was not surprised when the room had a little bit of a individual flair. There were homemade floral, dried arrangements above the beds, an assortment of useful utensils in the kitchenette, and the comforters were sooooo cute -- matching, country cute quilts! I loved it!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
monterey ca
Reviewed 28 November 2009

My stay was not motivated by a vacation this time. I live on the Monterey Peninsula and my home was having construction done so I needed an affordable place to stay for 10 days. Since I was not on vacation and did not want to pay vacation prices, being in property management myself, I got out of Monterey and went to Marina where I know that the prices are best. I did not have time to look around and find something "suitable" and I needed a place for my cat too which gets really tricky unless you want to spend alot.

I checked into Motel 6 in Marina which was "newly remodeled" They even put a microwave and refridgerator into the room for no extra charge since I was a local being displaced ... normaly it would have been an extra $20.00 ouch! It came with what Motel 6 has, a bed a table with 2 chairs and a T.V. It was clean and the staff was friendly. The WiFi was down and there is no newspaperstand. After 2 days in this "human storage cubicle" I was getting depressed spending good money on a room with NO personality stuck in Marina's fog while my home in Monterey was in the glorious October sunshine our best time of year. I checked out deciding to be in Monterey even if I had to dig deeper into my pockets, which I really did not want to do but could not bear another moment in Motel 6.

I was fortunate enough to find the Fireside Lodge by a tip from a local. I knew as soon as I pulled up to the Lodge, the flowers on the property and the gorgeous bouganvilla growing on the railing heavy with blooms, that this was alot more to my liking. Shin was warm friendly and accomodating. She gave me a great price on a room and it was exactly what I wanted and needed. The room had everything that I wanted including WiFi and ... personality! Staying in the room was delightful rather then the sheer endurance of "surviving" Motel 6's emptiness (especially because I was not off being a tourist and I was in the in the room alot)

My room was clean spacious and quiet. My bed was very comfortable and I slept great!! The fireplace made it cozy and Steve and Shin made me feel as if I were there personal guest and friend. They made sure all my needs were met including towels and lots of bath products (the bath is not fiberglass so you know its clean!!!) and I didn't even have to ask!

Because it was so comfortable and peaceful and Steve and Shin were so warm and polite I stayed an extra night because it was more peaceful then home! Now when I have out of town guests who don't want to pay alot for a room I will no longer send them to Marina ( where there is nothing to do or see and its grey and cold and without any character) I know they will be taken care of properly by Steve and Shin at the Fireside Lodge.

I've read the other reviews some were hard to understand how they had such a different experience with Steve and Shin. I grew up in the lodge business (my parents owned a lodge in Mammoth Lakes California) and people will spend their entire stay and as they check out complain and want their money back or a discount. People need to understand that the management can not fix a problem that they are unaware of and if you occupy a room then they can not rent it to another. So, if something is wrong you need to tell them right then not as you check out. As for the comments on furnishings etc. you can stay at Motel 6 with reliably generic basics and zero personality or get out your money the peninsula has gorgeous properties with the most high end furnishings you'd ever want to see you will know its true when you see the rooms and ... when your credit card bill arrives!!! Happy traveling.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
uofcrob
Reviewed 26 November 2009

This hotel was not only a great place to stay, but 9 of my closest friends and I saved a ton of money skipping out on the overpriced, near my Marriott. The hotel is cozy and really lives up to the name, "fireside lodge." The staff is friendly and helpful and was prompt on taking care of any and all issues we had. We got to stay in a beautiful place near a large park, fisherman's wharf, and the spectacular views of the northern California coast. My friends and I are already in talks of coming back in the near future, but next time we are going for the amazing suit.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
cavan
Reviewed 14 November 2009

My self and my wife were touring California and stayed at the Monterey Fireside Lodge we were very satisfied and found it to be fresh, clean and comfortable and the lady at reception to be very friendly and helpfull. We would be happy to stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Campbell, California
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I have read the other reviews and don't understand where they are coming from. I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last 20 years. All my stays have been good and I always felt at home. I am handicapped and the manager and her son have gone beyond the call of duty to help me be comfortable. I recently stayed the weekend and my room was clean and met all my needs. I needed ice and they provided me a small cooler with ice in it. My fireplace worked just fineand extra blankets were provided quickly. I look forward to returning to the Fireside Lodge in the near future and have recommended this hotel to family and friends. No one have ever been disappointed.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Lodi, CA
Reviewed 3 July 2009

We had no idea that the Monterey Health Department would allow a place like this to exist. It should be shuttered. There were stains all over the very old carpet, it was frightening to think of what was on the sheets, the shower head was rusted on to the pipe and actually hurt when we took a shower, the gas fireplace didn't work, there were two beds, a king and a single (which we did not want), with 40+ year old bedspreads that didn't match, and there were huge cracks in the ceiling.
Since we were traveling on the coast, we had planned on staying in Monterey for two nights, June 4 and 5. We left the room on June 5 at about 9 AM and returned at approximately 5:30 PM. To our surprise, the room had not been "cleaned" (if that were even possible due to the decrepit conditions in the first place). We didn't even have clean (and I use that term loosely) towels, nor had the trash been emptied. When we asked the manager about it, she said that she didn't have the time. So we packed up and requested our money back for Friday (we drove to our next stop, Morro Bay, and stayed there an extra day). We were then informed that we could not get back our money for Friday as we had not checked out by 11 AM that day! The manager also informed us that she did not clean the room anyway (no kidding), that she only put clean towels in the room and took out the trash. So we are now out an additional $140 for not staying in the worst place we have ever had to stay. Motel 6 in Monterey (we have dogs) is a palace compared to this dump of all dumps. To top it off, the manager's adult children appear to be thugs. They were very scary.
We did go and speak to people at the Monterey Visitors Bureau. We were told that this excuse for a motel has a rich slumlord-owner who lives in San Francisco and that we should always contact them to get a good place to stay. Meanwhile, the San Francisco slumlord-owner continues to collect unsuspecting visitors hard-earned dollars. Why doesn't the Health Department of Monterey close this place?
Years ago, when I lived in southern California and needed a rental car, because I ws fairly poor then, I rented from "Rent a wreck." At the time, I thought it was funny. If you would like to stay in a "Rent a Wreck Motel," then I recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Giovanna10

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Bay Area, California
Reviewed 27 June 2009

This is the place if you don't want to spend a fortune and you don't mind a little funky hotel that is older but clean. We took off from there with our bikes and saw all of Montery. So it is what it is. Cheap, clean, and in Montery.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple