“The perfect dog-vacation”

and 1 more site!
Monterey Fireside Lodge
Ranked #54 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 29 May 2010

We stay at this hotel several time a year with our 85 pound Labrador Retriever, and let me say it is hard to find a hotel that will allow big dogs. This hotel is perfect for us and our four legged kid. It is centrally located with a vet on the same street and a pet groomer between the hotel and the beach, perfect for a bath after playing in the ocean. The hotel is in walking distance of the beach and Fisherman’s Warf. The owners are in the process of remodeling the rooms, and they are going to all look fantastic when they are all done. The colors and décor are beautiful, what an amazing transformation. The staff could not be friendlier. Our room had a vase of fresh roses from the beautiful garden outside and I was handed a vase of sweet pea and lavender when I checked in. Anything I asked for they were more than happy to provide. I would recommend this hotel to anyone with a dog or looking for a centrally located hotel in a quiet neighborhood.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 April 2010

My husband and I stay at the Monterey Fireside Lodge and found it to be very comfortable. The price of our room was very reasonable,and the room was nice and clean. Shin and Steve made us feel right at home, and helped to make our visit really great. You can't beat the location,it's easy to find and so close to all the attractions. We think that Monterey is a wonderful city and love to visit often with our little dog, and Shin and Steve welcomed her and made us all fell comfortable. For value, comfort, location and most of all hospitality I would highly recommend staying at the Monterey Fireside Lodge. As a matter of fact we are headed up that way this weekend,and looking forward to seeing Shin and Steve at the Monterey Fireside Lodge. Debra Booth

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2010

The Fireside Lodge lacks most of the amenities travelers take for granted at even budget-friendly accommodations. The room was spacious enough, and they did not charge for our dog. The sheets were clean and fairly crisp, but the towels are ridiculously small. But it seems as if the owners aren't paying attention to details and don't particularly care about providing much in the way of service. Here are some examples: Our double room had a two-burner electric stove, but there were no pots and pans if we had wanted to make coffee or tea, nor is there a coffee pot. In the drawers were a couple of utensils and one spoon; in the cupboard there were a few dishes and only one drinking glass. I had called a few days before to inquire about hairdryers in the room and was assured that they were available. In fact, one has to ask at the office to borrow the single hairdryer. The little refrigerator made such a terrible intermittent sound that my husband had trouble sleeping the first night, though a fellow did fiddle with it before our second night, so it was a bit quieter. The worst part of our stay was that we arrived back from our excursions at 2:45 on a weekday afternoon to find that our room had not been made up, an inexcusable breach of service since there was only one other occupant staying there. The laminated sheet on the desk says that one will be charged for using the gas heater (we weren't charged), but there is no other heat available. There is a floor heater under the window, but it is old and not connected. These proprietors need to get their act together. The whole place has a tired, shabby feel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dkspears
FeedumLead, Manager at Monterey Fireside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2010

We did not charge for your dog because we did not know you had a dog until after you checked into a room that does not accept pets. we did not charge you for an extra cleaning fee but we did charge you a pet fee. Hairdryers are available at the front desk as noted in the room and are advised over the phone if inquired. Breach of service? Was your room cleaned? I personally checked the heater. It works fine. I would say this place has a "Homely Feel".

Reviewed 31 March 2010

Had a great time at this romantic location. Loved the staff, the views and the proximity all Monterey has to offer. An A+ trip.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I came to the Monterey Fireside Lodge with my partner after a long drive from the northwest. We were immediately greeted with a warm welcome from the younger gentleman behind the desk and his mother whom together run the hotel. The beautiful plants and flowers on the property as well as the location was an indication that we were at a place just like home. The rooms were as we expected a hotel to be; clean, comfortable and affordable. The location was ideal for we were about a mile or so from the Wharf and other key locations. We had a great visit and look froward to keeping the Fireside Lodge as our home away from home when we come to the Peninsula.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PUDDLETOWN52
Reviewed 1 March 2010

This place met our needs perfectly and the front desk staff was very helpful! I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2010

I stayed at the Monterey Fireside Lodge (with my 95-lb. labrador retriever) from Jan. 25-Feb. 3, 2010 and would highly recommend this secret gem to everyone. The staff is particularly friendly and helpful and the rooms were immaculate (and quite large), complete with kitchen area, fridge and microwave. I didn't know my way around Monterey and Steve at the front desk went out of his way to be helpful, including drawing maps and even helping me to set up my computer . The owner/manager, Shin, is on the premises and always available to assist - and even provides fresh-cut flowers for the rooms for an added touch of down-home hospitality. If you would like a friendly, family-owned, clean and conveniently-located place to stay (walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf), I highly recommend the Fireside Lodge.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo