“Kabobs, Kabobs and More Kabobs. Delicious, quality meat, nicely prepared.”
Review of Amir's Kabob House - CLOSED

Amir's Kabob House
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
California
“Kabobs, Kabobs and More Kabobs. Delicious, quality meat, nicely prepared.”
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I've dined here many times, both for lunch and dinner, with friends, family, and people visting from out-of-town, never with a disappointed meal. A casual restaurant with belly dancing show on the weekend. I love middle eastern food. My friends from San Jose and their young children always want to come here when they visit. If you want a wonderful superb, meaty, fragrantly marinated and spiced, kabob, this is one of the best places I've been. I really enjoy their veg. dishes, which are very tasty. I'm not a big fan of white bread and rice which comes with every meal but I enjoy the spinach side dish, the salad, the eggplant and yellow squash appetizers. The cardamon hot tea is very nice. Wine selection is good.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Designer-at-Large

Salinas
“Very good food -- tasty meat and well-seasoned sides”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I had the Lamb Kabob, with the lentil sauce, both of which were wonderful. As a dedicated carnivore, I found the lamb savory and well-cooked, very tender yet toothsome. The bottomless naan side dish was a good choice, and the red and green sauces on the table (which I assumed were for the naan bread) provided a great complement to it. The lentil dish was mild but flavorful, nicely subtle.

Service was good, and the place was full (which is always a good sign).

The odd point of the evening was belly-dancing (apparently a local belly dance school provides entertainment on Saturday evenings). It was entertaining, however, and tastefully done; the restaurant remains on the family-friendly list.

Overall, a special treat, both in flavor and in atmosphere.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank User_Default
Belmont, California
“Excellent food, and large portions!”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

My wife and I took her sister to Amir's for an afternoon birthday lunch - staff was friendly, food was excellent, and the atmosphere perfect. We had kabobs, mantu, and lamb shank, shared with each other so we could enjoy all the tastes, and would recommend this restaurant very highly.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank 2009Benjamin
EastCoast
“Fanastic food, friendly place”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

This restaurant is so convenient, near the Monterey aquarium and right off Lighthouse Ave which is the main street from Monterey to Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach, Carmel, etc. But what is best is the friendlieness of the staff and owners. They are especially good with children and have even whisked a squirmy child away from the table to entertain them for you so you can eat in peace!! After asking permission, of course. I have been to this restaurant 3 times during visits to the area. Once for dinneer, once for lunch, and once for a party and the service has always been excellent. The food is good, even buffet style. Price is in line with other restaurants in the area. Not cheap, but not ordinary and worth the money! I haven't been on a Saturday night when they offer the belly dancing but assume it would be more crowded and you should get reservations. We have always just dropped in and haven't had to wait very long as it was usually off peak hours.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank TybeeTraveler
San Diego, California
“Pretty crappy overall”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We chose this restaurant because it had good online reviews. It was very disappointing. My husband is a vegetarian and I eat meat, so we often have difficulty finding a place that caters to us both. This one sounded like it did, but in fact the vegetarian choices were pretty crappy.

We got a "complimentary" sample of Naan bread which consisted of two pieces that were small and dry. I've had naan before and this was the worst ever. When I ordered the yogurt dip, what we got was a bland cup of plain yogurt that seemed like they just sliced a cucumber into it. No special spices. Just yogurt and cucumber. I could have done that myself.

When we got there we were informed that the eggplant wasn't ready yet and they would be happy to substitute something else for it. Unfortunately, there wasn't much else to substitute because the vegetarian plate my husband ordered already had pretty much everything on it. He decided on some soup, which was okay but not great. The portions on his platter were small and unappetizing looking. He was hungry when we left.

I ordered the lamb chop kabob and while it was tasty, it was nothing special.

I would never go back and can't understand why this place got such nice reviews from so many people.

• Visited June 2011