“Bed Bugs!”

Ranked #44 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
SF Bay Area
“Bed Bugs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We've stayed at this property before as it is closest in proximity to Laguna Seca when in town to race; but this time was put in a room with visual bed bugs - I even killed a few of the bigger ones and left them for the staff to see.

We informed the staff at 11pm after settling in and noticing multiple bed bugs and they debated with me on the legitimacy of my complaint. They did change my room, but following day at check out decided to deduct only $60 from my bill vs. comp'ing the entire stay. Honestly, at this point it's not about the money just the principle.

They refused to believe they have bed bugs, and insisted they were being fair with the price "reduction." The manager on duty claimed they were full (which is a bad argument regardless) plus I know for a fact they were not because my entire Hallway of rooms were vacant and they easily moved us one room over.

The staff was incredibly rude, unprofessional, dishonest, and bottom line didn't take into account the time and effort required for us to fumigate our clothes and luggage after returning from their dump. Shame on them.

Bottom line if you're a racer or just visiting Monterey, spend a little more money staying somewhere else and avoid this place.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VivaVacati0ns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Draper, UT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

the room was nicely sized and comfortable, and it was clean. The trim around the bathroom door needs replacing, but they did try to cover it with caulk in the nicest way they could. It would be better to simply replace the entire door trim. They don't have any king sized beds, so if you need one you'll have to stay elsewhere. The breakfast was okay, that's it. The warming tray was set so low it did not adequately heat the eggs and sausage, which was unfortunate, because if it had then the breakfast would have been fine.

Room Tip: The trash pickup happens at 5 AM Fridays and it's directly outside the 100 Bldg. You may want to...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jaltaman
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,501 helpful votes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

Cons: extremely dirty room (check my reviews), very run down, air doesn't work, no curtains, bad value for money... This place is a mess! It looks very old and dirty. And the location isn't great.
I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HelenaGuerra
Clovis, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

My husband and I booked this room for a getaway that was a combination of our anniversary and my birthday. It was a little off the beaten path (near the airport), but still very close to all of Monterey's attractions. At first, I worried about noise with it being so close to the airport, but that was not an issue at all.

They allowed an early check in (I ALWAYS find our hotel before we do anything else, so I know exactly where it is, and sometimes, early check in is a nice benefit), which was very nice. We got into our room just as the maid was leaving, so we knew it was fresh and clean.

Overall nice experience, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aerochik
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

Overall, this is a decent hotel, but there are a few things to know about before you go. I will detail the pros and cons below:
Pros:
Reasonable price, good central location for Monterey/Pebble Beach/Carmel, quiet property (especially since close to the airport), breakfast included, first and third front desk workers friendly and helpful, rooms clean (except for having to kill a couple of medium sized spiders) and fans available since no air conditioning at all.
Cons:
No air conditioning at all, no business center, no elevators, had to kill a couple of bugs in the room, very small breakfast area, second front desk worker (a woman) was not at all helpful and was bothered by any questions.
I really would stay here again due to price and location as well as the good customer service received from the first and third front desk workers.
HOWEVER, I would request a fan and first floor room when I booked and I would take my own bug spray.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank hookedontrvl
Surprise, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed here while attending a class reunion. The hotel is very spacious, clean, quiet, and comfortable. The location is great if flying into Monterey Airport, actually short walking distance, even though I had a rental car. Located close to several stores and gas stations. A short drive to Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row. They provide a nice continental breakfast. I chose the biscuit with sausage patty and egg. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Roberto C
Prairieville, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Stayed here recently just for one night while on a California coast drive and couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. I've had nothing but good experiences with most Comfort Inns I've stayed at and this one was up there. The young front desk guy, Joleel or Joheel I believe (?) was VERY accomodating. He gave us a free upgrade to a king suite with a gas fireplace and a huge bathroom as well as a card for a free appetizer at Tarpy's Restaurant right down the road...which was fantastic by the way. Room was very spacious, grounds were clean, comfy bed and very quiet. My only concern was when turning off the gas fireplace the gas sound never turned off so I was a little worried about that! I called Joheel and he assured me that was normal. I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple