“Charming suite, dated restroom, poor sleep” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn Monterey Peninsula Airport

Comfort Inn Monterey Peninsula Airport
Ranked #43 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Bellflower, CA
“Charming suite, dated restroom, poor sleep”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed here for one night for a pit stop in Monterey. When we checked in, there was a manager training a new employee, and the process took a lot longer than anticipated. The manager also seemed to be condescending to the employee as he trained her, and he was incredibly disinterested and lacked professionalism. I'm not asking for the guy to love his job, but at least make the guest feel welcome: that's just DOING your job. The lot also has several apartment-like building complexes, Bldg 100-400. We were not given directions to our room and we had to do the guesswork ourselves (maybe we should have asked, but most hotels/motels at least point you in the direction).

At first, I was very pleased with the room. We had a king bedroom suite with a fireplace and kitchenette. The room itself had nice wood paneling, a gas fireplace, a nice TV, and the kitchenette was inside concealed doors on the wood paneling. The bed was clean also, and we had Rm#401 which had a pretty tree outside concealing the balcony/window from the street. We knew it would have a lot of traffic noise, being on the outside end of the lot, but we wanted a better view, so we got it. The restroom was clean, but DEFINITELY dated as other reviews have stated. The tiles were an unattractive brown color, the toilet sounded like a jet taking off, and the shower stall only had a very small shelf that could barely fit a single travel sized bar of soap and the travel sized shampoo and conditioner. Oh - and as you'll see in an attached photo, there is a telephone next to the toilet. It's really amusing but absolutely confusing.

Finally, I knew there would be potential sleep issues due to traffic noises and/or people walking around outside, but I was woken up at 4:00AM because it sounded like there was someone knocking on the bed's side of the wall (not at the door). This was curious because there was NO adjacent room on that side. We were at the end of the building. This knocking continued intermittently through the rest of the morning until we left the hotel. Perhaps it was a bird (there were some birds in the outside trees) trying to build a nest or something? Either way, it greatly detracted from my sleep.

I would still recommend to stay here if you only intend to stay one night or if you are a heavy sleeper. The price is very good in comparison to other hotels in the Monterey/Carmel area. However, I am considering raising my standards and shelling out extra cash for a better location / better sleep, should I take an extended trip to Monterey.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jennifer T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Based on the name, you would not expect the amazing rooms. After looking at the pictures online- I was amazed by the amenities that are included. We had a VERY CLEAN ROOM! The bed was very comfortable, with lots of pillows. There was a gas fireplace that was the cheery on top. Want more? Want to be shocked? Well, well behind one of the walls, there was a mini kitchen with s sink, coffee maker and a microwave. There was a nice size patio with chairs. Perfect for a warmer climate night. The was a LCD flat screen mounted on the wall; only complaint, is that it was a bit higher than I would've hung it.

To sum it up, staying here is a great choice, it's close to Monterey aquarium and other stuff. The comments regarding the airport noise seems a bit shocking. You are close but barely hear the turbo props.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank m2esquire
Napa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

First it is important to remember that hotels in Carmel and Monterey are very expensive. The comfort Inn that is in Monterey near the airport is a great choice if you are looking for an economical clean and very comfortable hotel. The hotel is in great shape the grounds are well cared for. The problems are clean and large. The beds are very comfortable with really terrific pillows that allowed us to have a very comfortable sleep. The breakfast in the morning is a combination of cereals eggs yogurt waffle and coffee plus other offerings. Though I prefer to always go to a Barista coffee shop I know I am a very picky breakfast person. I would prefer nonfat plain yogurt but no one ever offers that. I recommend this Comfort Inn that is operated by very friendly people if you are looking for an economical place to stay very conveniently located in between Monterey and Carmel.

Stayed April 2014
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We needed a room sleep in while visiting relatives for the holidays. This place was conveniently close to the homes down hwy 68. We knew it was close to the airport but its a small, lightly trafficked airport and they stop flights at night. Also it is right on hwy 68 so we expected some traffic noise. They put us in the building furthest from the road which was nice, so we thought we had dealt with the noise issue as best we could.
Unfortunately they put everyone else in that building as well. The walls and especially the ceilings are paper thin. We just settled in about 9pm and then the people in the upstairs room checked in
No kidding it was like trying to sleep under the floor of a gymnasium. THUMP THUMP THUMP...BOOM BOOM BANG!!!!
I finally went down to the office and asked to be moved. They said the would call the other room first. Things did quiet down somewhat (thank you whoever you are!) but still, listening to someone get off the bed, walk to the toilet, flush and walk back is just really annoying.
My advice would be to stay at the hyatt near the HWY 1 interchange if you can or request no adjoining neighbors.
Overall its an OK hotel done in the late 70's monterey style, reasonably clean for a quick stay but needs a whole lot of renovating soon as the bathrooms, fixtures, carpets are past their prime.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room, away from the highway.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

After many hours of United Airlines delays of my flight from Denver's 0 degree weather, I arrived in the wee hours of the morning, ready for a warm room and comfy bed. I pulled my roller bag along the road/ part sidewalks around the bend to the Inn. Once here, I found just the welcome haven for my weary bones hat I needed. The room was spacious, nice bed and large bath/shower. Microwave and fridge, deck to enjoy the sunshine and morning breeze. I liked enough floor space / and or deck to do some yoga and the continental breakfast is well set up, clean and attended. Besides cereal, pastries and juice it includes waffles, eggs in different forms and fruit choices. The price cannot be beat, the service timely and everything was clean. I will recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank skylar60
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

A bit off the beaten path, but an easy location from which to launch. My room was enormous and included a balcony. Very clean, though the décor was a bit dated. Comfy place to stay. The free breakfast buffet was good, included eggs and sausage and DIY waffles.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank BeeGirlNC
Boulder
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Comfort Inn Monterey Airport. The hotel was clean and quiet and offered an amazing breakfast each morning. Breakfast choices were nicely varied. Bedding was comfortable enough for me to get a great nights sleep each night. I'm not a sound sleeper, but this hotel was so quiet I slept right through the night!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business