“Great Place for Dim Sum”
Review of Ocean Star

Ocean Star
Ranked #3 of 183 Restaurants in Monterey Park
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Seafood
Reviewed 24 January 2013

If you want to come to the SGV and have dim sum, this is the place to have it. The carts with all varieties of dim sum are costantly buzzing by. The atmosphere is loud, as in all Chinese restaurants in the SGV. It gets crowded for dim sum fast on Sat. and Sunday, so be prepared to take a number by 10:30 -11:00 AM. Definitely worth a stop. The place is huge. The food was very tasty and made me want more.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

Went there twice on our recent trip to So Cal. They have tons of different kinds of dim sum for lunch and an extensive dinner menu. We even ordered something that wasn't on the menu and the owner came up to us and told us he was sending one of his employees (to nearby grocery store) to get the ingredients! How about that for service! My title of this review says it all. If you like quality Cantonese food, then this is the place to go. Sure there are literally hundreds of Chinese restaurants within a 10 mile radius and I'm sure many of them are (cheaper as well as) good, but I like Ocean Star.

Reviewed 11 November 2012

We've made several trips to Ocean Star and found it's best to get there before noon for dim sum.The place gets packed quickly and the noise level doesn't help. It took a while for our preferred dishes to show up. Our favorite, the steam-cooked pork buns seemed to have less meat this time. The duck wasn't warm but the rest of the selections were satisfying. The quality
of the food and low prices keep bringing us back.

Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

This place is just great. We where there on a Saturday and the place was packed. We were the only non-Chinese group, but the staff is very nice! The cart ladies don't speak much English but they are so nice! I love the picture menu, which helps me since I don't speak Chinese. I would point to the picture and they would go out of their way to get the item for us. We tried many dishes, some seem exotic to us, but we relished the edible adventure.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

If a dim sum restaurant doesn't have a long wait on a weekend or a holiday morning, is it worth going in? We arrived at Ocean Star at 11.30 am and got seated after a 30-40 minute wait, it was crowded and buzzing. I didn't mind the wait as it told me there was good things to come.

When we were taken from the crowded lobby into the restaurant proper, we were taken in by the great decor and exciting atmosphere. I have been to many dim sum places so it's hard to surprise me, this place was very appealing.The large room was absolutely packed and all hustle and bustle with carts and wait staff going in all directions, large tables overflowing with families and great looking plates of food everywhere.

Despite the pressure the staff were under they got us going immediately with drinks, rice, condiments etc. We found the staff very helpful, attentive and even humorous at times.

We were sitting near the entrance to the kitchen and the logistical coordination the staff had was almost mesmerizing. As fresh carts of dumplings, etc emerged, and there were a lot, there seemed seemed to be telepathic connection with the wait staff and all the containers of fresh food were distributed in second. It was very entertaining.

The food was really worth the wait. Tried the Siu Mai, spare ribs, shrimp balls, wonton soup, fried shrimp dumplings, Shanghai dumplings, rice noodles and all were delicious. The Siu Mai and the wonton in the wonton soup were very large with generous amount of shrimp. We had to refuse about 30 other items on offer which looked great.

The Ocean Star has replaced Capital Seafood (right across the street and still good) as our have place to pig out on great dim sum.