“Best Western Markland”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monterey Park
Los Angeles, California
“Best Western Markland”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I needed a hotel in close proximity to Cal State LA, as I was wrapping up the quarter as an instructor and a graduate student and needed a quiet space to do my paid work. The Markland fit the bill perfectly. Check in was smooth and easy. The underground parking is easy to use and even the garage elevator lobby is spotlessly clean and well decorated! My room was flawless. The bed was comfortable, the work space was great. The bathroom was squeaky clean. I had read about noise from other rooms; however, I was unaware of any here. On a funny note, the only real noise was when the hotel had a shock and rolled a bit from an earthquake we had early my first morning there. The hotel stood up to the small quake just fine! I recommend this hotel to anyone needing reasonably priced accommodations near Monterey Park and Downtown LA!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWMarkland, General Manager at Best Western Markland Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Kenny,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our property. I'm glad our hotel fit your needs and was to your liking. We try our best to make sure our hotel is in its best condition so we can provide the highest level of quality for our guests. In regards to the earthquake, I apologize if that might have startled you. We typically do not have any earthquakes here so it was quite a surprise when it came. If you happen to plan a trip that includes Los Angeles as a destination, please don't hesitate to contact us directly at (323) 887-1988 or email us at marklandhotel@yahoo.com so we can accommodate you.

John A. Sindal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Arizona, USA
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed here for three nights recently. Booked through a company who uses Captain Kirk as a spokesman. The original price was reasonable, however we needed a room with two beds and was told that was an upcharge of $10+tax per night. Ashley was at the front desk, and did what she could to present solutions, but there is only so much that can be done sometimes.

Room was ok...smelled strongly of cleaning products though. After coming back to the hotel from the second day's activities we noticed that the mini fridge was broken. Called the front desk and was told that the only solution was to move to another room. We had bought some food that needed to be refrigerated so we moved rooms.

The only ice machine available was on the 1st floor, but all the way down the corridor. Kind've a pain.

Breakfast was not too great, but typical for this type of hotel. The eggs were boiled, not scrambled. Sausage was that super cheap kind. Bagels were probably Sara Lee. It'll get you by in a pinch. They did have POG (Passion fruit/Orange/Guava)juice though.

Parking was under the hotel, plenty of space. The neighborhood seemed ok, not sketchy, like some have mentioned. There really isn't much around in the immediate area, walking-wise though. I recommend hopping over to Atlantic Blvd for some great eats (The Hat, misc. dim sum places, etc.).

One quick plug...this hotel is about 7 miles south of the Huntington Library/Botanical Gardens. I highly recommend a visit there. Very beautiful and peaceful.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is preferable due to the floor joists being a little noisy on lower floors. If you book th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
BWMarkland, General Manager at Best Western Markland Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Mr. or Ms. AZdesert-rat,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I apologize if you were charged an extra $10 + tax per night due to an error in room type. When booking through third-party agencies, it is possible for there to be a room type error due to the use of automated systems. However, an upgrade fee is still required because the reservation came in as a Single Bed. I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused and I am glad Ashley was able to assist you.

The rooms are cleaned regularly by our housekeeping staff so there might be residual scents from the cleaning supplies. I will inform our head housekeeping to lessen the products used to counter this problem. Additionally, I'm glad we were able to find you a different room to move into because of your broken mini fridge.

I apologize for the long walk to our ice machine on our first floor. The ice machine on the second floor is currently out of order due to unforeseen circumstances and will definitely be up and running shortly.

Our breakfast is currently undergoing changes as we are adding different varieties of food due to popular demand. The items we have out coincide with the requests of the majority of our customers as well as with our requirements.

I would like to take this time to thank you again for taking the time to reviewing our property. Your suggestions and honest opinions are valuable in helping us improve our hotel as whole. If you are ever in the Los Angeles area, please do not hesitate in contacting us directly at (323) 887-1988 or email us at marklandhotel@yahoo.com so we can accommodate you.

MONTEREY PARK, CA, United States
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed in a "suite" with a "jetted tub". This was a massive disappointment. I've stayed at youth hostels that were better than this hotel. The jets in the tub were VERY noisy and had absolutely no power to them. The tub was dirty, the bathroom was dirty and the entire room was dirty. The cleanliness of the suite was a joke. The wall paper was pealing, dust was everywhere and there was blood on the bed sheet. My wife and I were absolutely horrified. The bed in the room was incredibly squeaky. Sitting on it, laying on it, or moving on it caused terrible sounds. The room above mine had the same problem, because I could hear their bed squeaking loudly every time they moved too. the breakfast was so sad. Tasteless "sausages", no bacon, no oatmeal, no porridge and no desire to make more. This was the worst hotel I've stayed at in years.

Travellers are raving about these Monterey Park hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Great service by the front desk personnel. Had a really good rest in the room provided. Big and comfortable beds! However, breakfast was really poor (Not what I expected of best western hotels). There was not much spread at 9am, and I ended up not eating anything at all. Internet is very slow.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Darren3232
Dear Mr. Darren,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I am glad our front office personnel was able to make your stay enjoyable. Additionally, I am glad our beds were to your liking and gave you the rest and comfort you deserve.

As for the breakfast, I would like to apologize if there was not much quantity left when you arrived. Our breakfast is on a first-come, first-serve basis and due to high occupancy, it is hard to consistently put out large quantities of food. Inconsistencies in how much food our guests consume play a factor when trying to satisfy our guests but we try our best in making sure everyone gets at least a reasonable amount of food.

Additionally, there are occasions where our internet becomes a little bit slower due to high occupancy. When the mass tries to get on at the same time, it causes our systems to experience high stress and causes an overload. This has been brought up to management to review and will take necessary action to correct this problem. I understand that your trip was business-related and I apologize for the speed of our internet.

If you happen to stay in the Los Angeles area again, please feel free to book with us directly at (323) 887-1988 or email us at marklandhotel@yahoo.com so we can accommodate you.

Palmdale, United States
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Bed was very comfortable and the rooms are updated. Room seemed small but could be because it had a king sizebed, refrigerator, desk, etc. Front desk staff was helpful and caring. The smell of the hotel is a little strong in the lobby and hallways. Housekeeping needs to be told not to bother you (tried to enter the room 5 times with a "do not disturb" sign on the door). Overall our stay was ok. We needed a comfortable bed, which we got, but the housekeeping issue was bothersome.

Dear Mr. or Ms. Korine O.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. On behalf of the hotel, I would like to apologize for what happened to you during your stay with us. It is unacceptable for housekeeping to repeatedly attempt to enter your room if you had the "do not disturb" sign out. I have spoken to housekeeping management to ensure this does not happen again to any other guest. Additionally, I also want to apologize for the smell in the lobby and the hallways. Our housekeeping staff cleans the main hotel areas regularly to ensure excellent sanitary levels so the temporary smell is the result of fresh cleaning. I'm glad our beds and staff were able to make your stay enjoyable as well. If you decide to plan a trip to the Los Angeles area, please do not hesitate to call us at (323) 887-1988 or email us at marklandhotel@yahoo.com so we can provide you with the service and quality you deserve.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed here on our first day arrival in LAX for one night and on our 7th day for four nights after returning from our road trip in Las Vegas and San Francisco.

The hotel is located about 10-15 minutes away from the City Center, which is convenient to get here if you have your own car. In our case, we rented a car so it is convenient to get around. Our check in was speedy, plenty of parking provided in their basement level P1 and P2. The room was spacious enough for both of us, we really like the huge king size bed, it could fit 3 people. There is a desk where I can use my laptop, coffee maker in the room and most importantly the room is clean. Even though the hotel looks old, it looked as if the whole place is maintained very well. The complimentary breakfast had a fair selection: waffles, toast, different types of pastries, sausage/bacon, hard boiled egg, cereals, oatmeals and rice porridge.

Around the hotel there is a Walmart, Macy's and Ross just 5 minutes away.

We had a problem with the newspaper vending machine located just outside the lobby, the housekeeping staff was so helpful, she tried to get the machine to refund our money and at last one of the reception staff gave us coins to try again. This small gesture really impressed us as this was not even part of their job to assist us.

We would definitely return to stay at this hotel again if we come back to LA.

Room Tip: Room number 327 was at the end of the corridor and quiet
Dear Mr. or Ms. Muddie86,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I am glad you found our hotel to your liking. We try our best in making sure each and every guest is as comfortable as possible and to do that, we value reviews such as yours to ensure we keep everything in exceptional condition. I am glad to head that our staff was able to assist you in getting your newspaper.

If you decide to stay in the Los Angeles area again, please do not hesitate in contacting us directly at (323) 887-1988 or email us at marklandhotel@yahoo.com so we can continue to provide you with a stellar experience.

Rohnert Park, United States
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed for one night and I would go again to recharge my batteries and get on with my day. No problems of any kind or even the littlest expectations. I was greeted with a very nice smile and another one on the way out the door. Loved the SPA bath tub after a long long road trip. Thanks again folks!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mr. Curtis C.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I am glad you had a wonderful stay at our property. Our goal is to make sure everyone is as comfortable as possible and I am glad we were able to do that for you.

If you happen to stop by the Los Angeles area, whether it be for a vacation or simply just a quick stop, please do not hesitate in contacting us directly at (323) 887-1988 or email us at marklandhotel@yahoo.com so we can once again provide you with the comfort and service you deserve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monterey Park
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Montebello
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Rosemead
Best Western Norwalk Inn
Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Pico Rivera

Been to Best Western Markland Hotel? Share your experiences!