All reviews seen better days bagels inns freeway target
Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

All things considered this was my worst hotel experience ever. I travel all over the world with my job and have spent over 200 nights per year in hotels for the last 8 years, so I don’t make that statement lightly. As other reviewers have noted, the hotel decor is very dated and worn. The staff stated that the property was going to be renovated this year, but that work should have been done years ago. However, my biggest complaint is with the complete incompetence of the staff. They charged me the wrong rate. I approached them multiple times about correcting it and kept getting the same response, “We’ll look into it and get back to you.” But of course, they never did. They finally fixed my rate for the first two weeks, but then screwed up my bill for the last two weeks; the rate was correct, but they billed me for the wrong dates. I went home for a weekend and left a suitcase with the staff that I would pick up when I checked back in. When I arrived Sunday night, my bag was nowhere to be found (locked in the manager’s office, got it back Monday evening after work). The housekeeping staff was equally inept. Floors not vacuumed, towels not replaced. The maintenance staff could not fix my toilet after repeated requests. My colleagues complained of road noise from Hwy 101 (I was lucky enough to be on the opposite side.) Last, but not least, the food that they put out Monday - Wednesday was pathetic. I have stayed at many Residence Inns, and never seen anything so sad.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Bill B
Los2ntheroad, Manager at Residence Inn San Jose South/Morgan Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2018

Dear Sir ,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn San Jose South/Morgan Hill and providing your honest feedback on the Guest Satisfaction Survey.

Providing the highest level of hospitality is our number one priority and we sincerely apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations. As a teachable moment, we have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place to prevent these issues from occurring in the future.

Once again, thank you for your valued feedback and we hope to serve you again whenever your travels bring you back to Morgan Hill.
Please call me at 408-782-8311 if you would like to feather discuss these issues

Imraan Abhadhan
imraan.abhadhan@pillarhotels.com

Reviewed 26 December 2017

We had to stay at this hotel for over a week while our home was being built. It is quite frankly the worst hotel I have stayed at in a very long, long time. The place smells, and then the spray some sort of chemical freshener to try and hide the stale odors. We were on the first floor, the furniture was falling apart, as in missing huge chunks of upholstery pieces on the chair, couch and 1 of the 2 dining chairs in our 2 bedroom unit. The tp holder was out of the wall hanging by one small screw, the floor was missing pieces of wood in the "kitchen area" the heat didn't work, the floor was never vacuumed during our entire stay, as my daughter has a trick where she puts a piece of paper down on the floor to see if the rooms get cleaned during our stay. I can't imagine how this hotel is a Marriott or is able to keep the Marriott name, as it is truly not even Motel 6 worthy. Very disgusted and unimpressed and will definitely let my friends and realtor friends, know this hotel is sub-par at best.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Los2ntheroad, General Manager at Residence Inn San Jose South/Morgan Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

I am so sorry for the stay that you experienced. This is not by any means the experience we want our hotel to have. We are scheduled for a full renovation next year which is sure to provide a very upscale decor for our guest. If you would like to discuss your stay further please contact me and the hotel directly.

Reviewed 14 December 2017

I have stayed at this Residence Inn for several months for a job that I am working. The good news about the hotel is they have a full kitchen, which the other hotels in the area do not. The bad news is that the facilities are old and not well maintained. The staff is very friendly but they are unwilling / unable to be of any assistance.

There were several incidents with the staff and the facilities. The one that "took the cake" was when I walked into the room right after checking in and the toilet was plugged. When I called the front desk, I was told, "we have a plunger. Why don't you fix it yourself?" Excuse me, but I am paying $200 for a room, I'd like YOU to fix the toilet for me. I finally talked the front desk clerk into scheduling a maintenance person to fix the toilet. He showed up the next day. The toilet was still plugged when I came back into the room that evening. I called again, and was told the maintenance man would come out. Next day (2 days after checking in) the toilet was finally unplugged. I received a long sarcastic phone message from the front desk telling me that I was using too much toilet paper and their plumbing worked fine. Again, Excuse Me! The toilet was plugged when I entered the room after checking into the hotel. I had nothing to do with the fact that it was plugged. I just don't understand this type of customer service. I've never stayed at a hotel and had to live with a plugged toilet for 2 days.

In the rooms where the toilets work they often run all the time.

On multi-day stays the room is often not serviced at all, or the staff gets there at 5:30 or 6:00 PM in the evening. I have had the experience of other reviewers who arrive at 5 PM and have to wait for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes for the rooms to be ready.

At first, I tried to use the dishes supplied by the hotel. It is unclear who is supposed to wash the dishes, because about one out of every 5 days its done by the staff. Dishwasher soap is supplied on the first day only, so if you wash the dishes yourself you have to track down the staff or buy it yourself. One time when the staff washed the dishes they were in such a hurry that the plastic spoon was caught in the heating coil of the dishwasher. When I walked into the room at night there was an incredible stink. Again, the front desk said they could not replace the spoon nor could they address the stink in the room.

For some reason the exercise equpiment in the fitness room was not plugged in one day. The guy next to me went to the front desk and brought the clerk into the room, showing her the nonfunctional equipment. The clerk, again very nice, said she didn't know anything about the equipment and could be of no help. After she left I showed the guy how to plug in the equipment. The desk clerk was so far gone she couldn't figure out how to plug something in.

Another time I stayed at this hotel the carpet was cleaned during my stay. I had set some luggage and grocery bags on the floor. When I returned the room was completely rearranged to accomodate the carpet cleaners. A day later there was a note placed under my door saying that the carpet was going to be cleaned the next day. It would have been nice if the note had been placed before the carpet was cleaned, instead of after.

Other reviewers have commented on the worn carpets and furniture. I had some issues with pet noise, but given my experience with the front desk I didn't want to make an issue of it with them.

I have to stay at the hotel that is assigned to me by the corporation, so I may stay here again. Their prices are higher than the nearby hotels, so I may get assigned elsewhere. I would not voluntarily stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Pick a room where the toilet works
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Los2ntheroad, Manager at Residence Inn San Jose South/Morgan Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Please contact the hotel directly and ask to speak with the General Manager or Assistance Manager. We would like to discuss your experience further.

Reviewed 4 December 2017

Residence Inn....you want and seem to expect the same from the chain of hotels by Marriott. Not so much at this hotel....

We were coming in for a funeral. I did mobile check-in for 3:00 pm the day before. Easy enough....we arrived at 4:10 and were told our room was under final inspection and would be about 5 minutes....huh? the hotel was not busy at all....nor at full capacity...three floors of rooms. 20 minutes later our room was available.

We were on the 3rd floor...not sure who else was on the floor, but not many people. We were put right next door to a room with a dog. How do I know? Because it barked and yapped and could hear it in our room.

The hotel is in need of an upgrade for sure. The breakfast was not all that. Not even sure what was in the warmers other than eggs...as no signs, and definitely unrecognizable....stick with the bagels, yogurt etc.

Room Tip: ask for one not near the freeway.....
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2017

After a drive of over 4 hours, My 88 year old mother and I arrived at around 3:30 for a 3:00 check in. After waiting in line behind two other parties we were told that our room was awaiting "final inspection" and that it would be ready very soon but could we please wait in the lobby for a few minutes. We were attending a wedding and shuttle to the wedding was loading at 4:30 so we were a little anxious about the time frame but we took a seat and waited, and waited and waited. We were allowed to get into our room at around 4:10 and housekeeping was still cleaning. We were able to make the shuttle but did not have time to get ready in the way that we wanted. Remember my mom is 88 and has orthopedic issues that make hurrying stressful and dangererous. We would not have had to stress if our room had been ready...we arrived a half hour after check in!

I contacted Marriott corporate and was told they would contact the property and resolve my complaint within 5 working days. That did not happen. I did receive two emails one saying the property was under new management and blaming that for the lack of response and another saying that they "understood I had been contacted by the property recently" (not true) and expressing their desire to be of "any further assistance." As no one had been of ANY assistance I was prompted to write this review.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Karen M, Manager at Residence Inn San Jose South/Morgan Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced at check in. It is not the level of service we expect from our hotel. The hotel has called you, unfortunately we have been unable to connect. Kyra, the GM would love to speak with you directly at 408-782-8311. Thank you for your honest feedback and we will work hard to rectify the issues you addressed to assure a better experience for all in the future.