“horse lovers gem”
Review of Crazy Horse Ranch

Crazy Horse Ranch
More attraction details
Owner description: The Crazy Horse Ranch offers private natural horsemanship horseback riding tours, lessons and clinics. This is not the typical nose-to-tail ride - our tours are fun and educational amid breathtaking desert scenery. This is a true equine experience. We also offer a beautiful venue for kids' camps, parties, barbecues, weddings, birthdays, anniversaries and more.
Reviewed 31 October 2012

this is a real ranch, not a cheesy tourist trap with heads-down horses. jacklyn works with rescue horses (some) and returns them to 'air touch'. i have always ridden western which is quite disrespectful of horses, with all the pulling and kicking them when they really are so articulate if not treated poorly. i always left a good gratuity towards the upkeep as anyone taking on rescue animals also takes on quite a financial burden, too. loved the cabin, excellent coffee with cinnamon, eggs from her own hens, could hear the horses knickering in the night and beyond that, just peace of the desert. she adapted lessons to what i wanted to learn - brushing, how to move around them, riding naturally. hope to return!

5  Thank Tallulah M
There are newer reviews for Crazy Horse Ranch

Reviewed 30 October 2012

I loved every moment of being at Crazy Horse Ranch. I am not American and the chance to spend some days staying on a ranch was such a thrill for me.
Jacklyn was amazing and cared for my friend and I every step of the way. She was kind and patient and an amazing horse woman. What a relief to ride somewhere that the horses are not deadened trail horses. This is why I chose to come. I wanted to ride rather just sit on a horse.
The horses are so gentle and sweet at the ranch. I feel in love with many of them and having had a fear of horses in the past was surprised at how relaxed I felt there. The riding was awesome. Through trails. I loved it.
My friend and I stayed in the beautiful accommodation cabins. What a treat to stay in such nice accommodation on the ranch.

There is no question I will come back here again. I loved it and feel like Palm Springs now has a piece of my heart.

3  Thank Pukuchick
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband and I absolutely had the best horse riding experience with Jackie. She is thorough and kind. The horses are beautiful and very mellow for beginners. We had a private tour in the canyon for 2 hrs, which costs us total of $220 including tip. The mountains are breath taking. The trip is so relaxing and enjoyable. She also has 3 nice cabins to rent range from $75/night to $115/night. So many rescued animals are happy and friendly to visitors. We'll definitely visit again and likely stay with her next time.

2  Thank giggleuma
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I chose the Crazy horse ranch as it was recommend on the Palm Springs activities website. I have never been to a horse ranch before so have nothing to compare to but really enjoyed the trail here.
First of all it is down an unmarked road that is a bit hard to find even with a satnav so give yourself plenty of journey time. When we arrived we found it to be very laid back as there was no one to greet us apart from a young girl (Jackie’s grandchild). She started giving us forms to sign and we thought it was all a bit strange but then Jackie came out to greet us.
Jackie knows a lot about horses and the ranch and the horses are very well kept. We thought it was strange when she said most people do not wear helmets as I would have thought most places would make you wear one. We would not be going fast on the horses so we agreed not to wear one.
Jackie taught us how to get onto the horse individually and explained about the different types of riding etc before we started.
The trail was great, some lovely scenery, Jackie made sure she stopped and took photos of us with our camera. Jackie’s grandchild came with us (she asked if that would be ok) even though she was young she is an experienced horse rider and it was nice to have her along with us too. I think we paid the advertised $45 per person for the hour and an extra $10 each as a tip. An hour was long enough in the desert heat.
I did feel safe without a helmet however back at the ranch my horse did run towards a tree and my hat came off on to a tree branch so would recommend children wear helmets just to be safe.
I would defiantly recommend a horse riding experience while in palm springs.

3  Thank lovesholidays86
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I googled "horseback riding palm springs" and got a palm springs attraction page that advertised Crazy Horse ranch with a special rate of $45/hour. This seemed reasonable so I called and after speaking with Jackie made reservations for 5 people. During the conversation I specifically asked if she was experienced and prepared with a helmet that fit a six year old. She assured me she specialized in children. Although she took my cc info for the reservation, she said she only accepted cash. When we got to her ranch the prices had changed from $45/hr to $55/hr. Okay. I paid $275 in cash. No receipt. Then the kicker. She only had 4 helmets for the 5 reserved riders! She said that in the hundreds of riders she has had, she's only had 2 or 3 request for helmets. Yes, I should have demanded my money back, packed up the mini-van and left. But I displayed poor judgement and was swayed by the fact that I had already paid and the look on the kids' faces. I only kept back my six year old. She refused to refund his fee because I had made reservations for 5. The fact that he wasn't riding because she didn't have a helmet for him didn't matter. The horses were very skittish and Jackie kept informing us that it was because it was a windy day and horses get that way. In her pre-riding instructions she said the riders should forget about everything learned about horses because she believed in "natural" horsemanship. Totally different from English or Western. I saw the group ride away and anxiously waited for them to come back, upset that I hadn't just walked away. Screw the $275. A half hour later, when the riders came back, they said they had an "exciting" ride on horses that were obviously not trail horses. All four riders said that they were glad my six year old didn't go. My husband (who rode with the 3 older kids) said it was annoying how Jackie kept making excuses using the weather. He thought she should have cancelled the ride if the horses were acting up due to the wind. Finally, keep in mind, even though Jackie assured us that she'd never had anyone injured and that helmets were ridiculous, she makes you sign about 10 waivers so she's not liable for anything if something does happen. This place is not all bad. Rescuing horses is an admirable endeavor and all the animals seemed really well cared for. This is also a good place for people who want to ride without helmets which is often required in other places. Jackie is obviously more an animal person than a people person but her ranch hands were really nice. This place is not prepared to deal with tourists - even ones with years of traditional horse-riding experience. I also think ripping people off is bad for business in the long run.

27  Thank notsobusymom