“Vegan paradise!”

Shine Cafe
Ranked #2 of 7 Dessert in Morro Bay
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Shell Beach, California
“Vegan paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

My lunch was "build a bowl" -- sort of like Chipotle, but without the meat or dairy. You do it as a bowl or a burrito -- choose a protein (I had tempeh), dressing (mine was spicy chipotle), veggies (I did shredded cabbage, carrots, spinach), served with sliced avocado and spring mix salad (I got extra spinach in place of the spring mix). All for only 8 bucks! It's a feast, and I added some Cayucos hot sauce for a little more spice. Busy place, and not much seating inside, although there are some tables outside. I wish they were open for breakfast weekdays (tofu scramble, anyone?), and for dinner. And I'll bring my guitar if they let me sing for my supper!

• Visited March 2014

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“GREAT!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Great food-Great location-Great portions!! This place was our favorite-there is also a great store next to this-also called Shine!

Visited March 2014
Chicago, IL
“Shine Cafe shines!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Very good food. I had the black bean/rice taco. I would have preferred more beans in relation to the rice, but still very good. The taco was blanketed in lettuce, avocado, etc., all very fresh and flavorful. My son had the tempeh taco which he liked a lot. My wife liked her red lentil soup. She also had a salad. Since she doesn't like tomatoes she gave them to me. Outstanding in flavor and texture.

• Visited February 2014
San Juan Capistrano, California
“To die for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I eat at a lot of vegan restaurants and we were so happy to spot Shine Cafe on a recent trip to the central coast of California. The special was Korean style Jack fruit Tacos and oh my gosh, they were the best vegan tacos We have ever had! They also had beautiful large salads and lots of other luscious looking meals being served to those around us. I have not stopped looking for Jack fruit tacos in my neck of the woods and may have to figure out how to make them myself!

• Visited January 2014
California
“Vegan Back in the Day Cafe Vibe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Finally made it to Sunshine Health Foods and Shine Cafe, the stuff of legends, in Morro Bay, CA. Fantastic! Both the market and the adjacent vegan cafe were like a step back in to the nascent era of the health food stores and cafes of the 70s and 80s. Shine Cafe is vegan, cozy, artsy, friendly and above all, authentic.
The ruben (grilled tempeh, sauerkraut, greens) & the tlt (grilled bacon-maple tempeh, lettuce, tomato) sandwiches were so delicious and nourishing, washed down with sarsaparilla and ginger sodas. Sunshine Health foods, adjacent, was so well stocked and so reasonable in price that we just loaded up the trolley with products and offerings often missing now in larger chain natural food stores.
40 years in the making and I can't recommend them enough: Shine Cafe and Sunshine Health Foods.