“Dated, but comfortable”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Southern California
“Dated, but comfortable”
Reviewed 15 April 2007

We had stayed at La Serena the Thanksgiving before, Nov 2005,and it was clean and quiet. In July 2006, we mistakenly tried the Pacific Shores Inn, which is next door. Pacific Shores has great views, but ummm... Motel 6 is better. We called La Serena for a rescue and they provided us with a mini suite that was great!!! They even let us check in early so my young son could get an afternoon nap. We have also stayed in a regular double queen room that was fine. Yes, as someone else stated, the furnishings and paint colors are a little dated, but once your eyes are closed the hotel is comfortable and quiet. If you want to be economical, choose a non view room. The partial bay view rooms are not really that great of a view. Even the "unobstructed views" are a little bit of a joke...Just walk down the block to get a beautiful view of the rock. The breakfast is okay in a pinch. If you want great quick diner food, go to The Hungry Fisherman. My in-laws eat practically every meal at this restaurant.

• Liked — Clean comfortable rooms, affordable price, and welcoming staff.
  • Disliked — Price difference between suites and regular rooms. Dated decor.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank speechieteachie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 January 2007

I thought this hotel was terribly overpriced for what you received. I normally agree with the majority of comments on Trip Advisor, but I feel compelled to let everyone know this is definitely not a great hotel, certainly not above average by any means.

First, although fairly clean, the interior room furnishings are somewhat dated and worn. Our third-floor room was painted a hideous pink color (our friends on the second floor had a white room). The mattress was terribly uncomfortable and lumpy (this was also a complaint of our friends). The interior hallways and corridors look like they were from the 70s. The room doors are covered in fake marble formica. Lots of plastic plants throughout, etc.

Second, the FREE breakfast was the most pathetic free breakfast that I have ever seen at a hotel (and I have been to hundreds). The "dining" room was small and cramped on the third floor next to a strange-looking sauna/shower room. There was no attendant and the food was just left out on a table. A large plastic pitcher of warm milk (just sitting out all morning) and a pitcher of warm, bitter (presumably old) orange juice. There were a couple loaves of bread, some stale pasteries and some cereal in those jars that look like a gumball machine. No fruit, no bagels or anything fresh. While I sat there drinking a cup of bland coffee, two other couples dropped by, took one look and proclaimed, "looks like we will definitely be eating elsewhere!"

Third, we were told that our rooms had great views of Morro
Bay. While I agree that the third floor room had a decent view, our friends staying on the second floor had a very obscured view.

I would highly recommend you look into the Ascot Suites before considering this hotel. I have stayed at Ascot Suites in the past and you get considerably nicer rooms for just a bit more--great breakfast, a jacuzzi, new interiors, nice mattress, etc.

I also ate at Dorns and noticed a hotel called the Blue Sail Inn that is right next door. I didn't see a room, but the hotel is impeccable looking on the outside. I am very surprised it is not listed on TripAdvisor as a top hotel choice for Morro Bay as it is a fairly large hotel. If you type in Blue Sail Inn, in the search, you can see a lot of great reader comments--I wished I would have known about this hotel as Ascot Suites was filled and I ended up trying La Serena. Also, keep in mind that La Serena belongs to a chain of other hotels in town like the Masterpiece and the Best Western-- so many of the issues that I mentioned here, may be consistent with these other properties (I have not stayed at any of these though).

• Stayed July 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Trailblazing
Southern California
Reviewed 7 October 2006

We stayed for two nights and found the room to be clean, though a little dark. The view was very nice and so was the front desk help. If you need a clean and quiet place to stay in Morro Bay, but you don't need a lot of frills, this is a great choice.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple