“Go Somewhere Else”

Holland Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Morro Bay B&B and Inns
“Go Somewhere Else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

We booked a room here online due to the cheap price, some good reviews, and the hotel's claim of being less than a mile from the ocean. The hotel is a rundown, old fashioned, roadside motel. It's not quaint or cute. It's junky, and the owners have cut every corner possible. Yeah, you can see the rock from the hotel, and yeah, the hotel is technically less than a mile from the water. What they don't tell you is that you will have to find a way to legally cross two major highways to get to it. The room we were given was on the very end, right next to the 101 and the 1, the aforementioned highways. The walls are paper thin, so the road noise was very loud. We could hear everything the people in the room next door were doing which included watching TV at a deafening level and screaming at each other. We asked if we could please be moved to another room. The young woman (teenage girl?) at the front desk informed us that the only room open was a suite and that she couldn't do anything for us. She said she would let the manager know, and he would get in touch with us when he came in at 9:00 that night. We go back to the room. The room itself was damp and dreary. The shower stall in the bathroom was tiny, not HUGE as another reviewer suggested. The room had one mirror which was high on the wall and inexplicably located over the microwave, not over the sink as another reviewer stated. The pillowcase had big grey stains on it. The headboards were falling away from the wall. The table had some kind of debris all over it. There was dirt in the sink. The phone did not work and was very dirty. We decided we couldn't stay there. While I was packing up, my husband went to the office. The young woman told him there was nothing that could be done. My husband told her to get the manager on the phone. She did, and then proceeded to have a long conversation with him in Hindi, while my husband was standing there. She got off the phone and said that we can't switch rooms, and if we decide to leave, we can't have our money back. Aghast, my husband told me what had happened. I went back to the office and asked to speak to the manager. After waiting for the young woman to have yet another conversation with him in Hindi (I find this to be very rude. Neither the manager or the young woman had any trouble with English. It just felt like there were things they didn't want me to hear), I spoke with him. At first, he wasn't willing to do anything. After arguing with him, I got him to agree to refund all but $17.00 of my fee, to cover booking and cleaning costs. Whatever. They probably went in, arranged the pillows on the bed, and called it good. Anyway, my advice would be that if you want to stay here, ask to see the room before you give them your credit card. Had we done that, we would have just left, gone back to town, and found a much cleaner, much more conveniently located hotel for just a bit more (which we did). Also, take a good, close look at some of the "excellent" and "very good" reviews for this hotel. Some of them seem a little...off.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ValentinoDrag

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Best part was comfy bed and clean room for the price. Coffee, juice, muffins for breakfast and coffee maker in room. Needed fridge but had to unplug, too noisy. Close to town but too far to walk.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

Nice clean friendly and reasonably priced but it was a bit of a perilous hike to the beach as you have to cross a few badly lit busy roads.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

My husband and I have been staying at the Holland Inn since 2002.. A friend recomended them and they are always our first choice . I never knew they had a continental breakfast ,because theres a Grocery store next door !! I get milk and doughnuts . I bring cereal and oatmeal from home whether its just us or our family too. I bring extra coffee. I love that theres a microwave and a fridge. They showers are HUGE ! Weve stayed in the Jacuzzi room with fireplace one year on New Years! It was great ..Ive probly stayed atleast 10 x in as many years. The rooms are very clean everytime ,My reservations were always held . Its always been quiet even when full. I always slept well ,played well and made memories to last. The price is right , you get all your basics and no stairs! We have reservations this June for a special trip with family and am looking forward to it ! At first I tried to reserve this room and thought it was full .So we got another one and upon reading the reviews of the other hotel we canceled and gave this one another try and we were in luck!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danielle D
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

From the accommodating front desk to the nice touches in the room, this budget motel is a step above. I expected the drab, semi-clean, sort of smells budget room with rough thin towels and an uncomfortable bed. Instead, I found the room spotless (although the carpet needs shampooing or replacement), the bed quite comfortable and the towels reasonably thick. The front desk was super super nice! Don't get me wrong - this is still a budget motel but seriously folks...if it's between this place and motel six (or similar) - take this one!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Boulder City, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

I recently returned to Morro Bay, CA to see family and stayed at a small but quaint place that I would recommend to any traveler. The rates are great, staff friendly. I had a two room suite that was perfect as I had my 18 month old Granddaughter overnite with me. Great place!

Room Tip: Depending on size of travelers the two room suite is great and roomy