“Nice Place but poor service”

Front Street Inn & Spa
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Front Street Inn & Spa was in a good location, away from all the street noises yet close enough to be able to walk to all the main/touristy areas. The room was big, nice, and comfortable.
Upon our arrival we were greeted by one of the owner's father who informed us that the main owners were on vacation. He showed us our room and explain little details here and there about the room, the hotel in general, etc. We were also told that housekeeping service were provided sometime around noon or so. The next day in the morning I decided to make us some coffee using the coffeemaker of the common area (no coffeemaker provided in the room) and by 11:30am we left the room and placed the "Housekeeping Service Please" door hanger on the door. We returned to our room in the evening to find out nobody cleaned our room, our bed was not made, and our towels were not cleaned/changed (which by the way, we were only provided with one set!?!?). Puzzled we looked at a posting on the wall of the room that provided general information/rules regarding the room such as check-in and check-out time and found out that housekeeping service was supposed to happen between 12pm - 3pm.
The next day we decided to make coffee again on the coffeemaker of the common area only to find out that not even the coffeemaker was clean. We had to clean it ourselves if we wanted coffee. Other than having somebody collect our payment at the time of arrival, it seemed like nobody was running this place.
On the day of our departure, not only did we not get an apology (or at least an acknowledgment) for the lack of service/attention but we even got a call before our check-out time to "remind" us we needed to check-out on time because they had to clean the room for the next guests. That was pretty irritating and completely spoil whatever good experience we had of that place.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank happyyogi

Reviewed 2 June 2010

Tom and Val at Front Street Inn were very nice when we arrived. The room was a nice size, very clean, with nice big windows that faced the harbor. The windows could be opened which was great - the ocean breeze came in and we sat in the chairs and just watched the activity outside for a long while. Morro Bay isn't very big, but the location was great, right near all of the activities and restaurants - we walked everywhere. Overall, we loved the room and the Inn. We wished we could have tried out the couples massage, but hopefully next time!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2010

We're from Hawaii, visiting family in the area. We booked Front Street Inn due to its great/ convenient location; the rooms looked "woodsy"-open beam wood ceilings, heavy wood furniture, and a fireplace! The best views of Morro Bay & the Rock from a cozy & comfy room. I looked at other cheaper & not so nice motels in the area, but Front Street Inn is so NICE & an obvious choice. Check in was easy during the morning, the owners are hilarious, and we LOVE the French bakery downstairs. Got a great massage too. Went standup paddling in the bay, rented gear from the Inn. Walked to the beach. Beach not as nice as Hawaii, but uniquely Morro Bay and we had lots of fun with family!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2009

My wife and I spent two days in Morro Bay's Front Street Inn. We needed some down time near a quiet beach setting. We found it! Our goals were to lay low, sleep in, walk around, wander some shops, read, nap, and enjoy each other.

The inn is nicely done and comfortable. We were warmly greeted and the room was large and had all that we needed. The windows looked right out into the harbor and at Morro Rock--very relaxing. We kept the windows open and ejoyed the coll ocean air. There is an authentic French bakery direclty below and it is quite good.

The cool thing is, we did not have to get in our car for anything--we just walked to eat and shop a bit. Dinner restauraunts are mostly so-so, but the Coffee Pot for breakfast was truly good. Now one of my favorite breakfast pl;aces--nothing fancy, just good food and good service.

Some people may find the noise from below as a negative, but we enjoyed the sounds.

You'll be glad you went!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pastmatt
Reviewed 31 July 2009

I am worried about telling the world on Trip Advisor about this little gem tucked away on the north side of the Embarcadero in Morro Bay, but I have to be honest and tell you we had a wonderful stay for two nights. We were in the smallest of the rooms, The Traveler with a King bed, luxury European bedding, gas fireplace, and two comfy chairs situated directly in front of the view of the Rock and busy fishing area. Downstairs, is a spa and I had a pedicure. A bit pricy, but quite convenient. The French Bakery, La Parisenne is perfect for a croissant early in the morning. The shower in the room is sunny due to a decorative hole in the wall that gives even this room a view of The Rock! Like a typical Inn, the owners leave the site by early evening, and if you arrive late you have to call them, but they show up in minutes. There are only 4 rooms and you share a coffee/chocolate area, an ice machine, a telescope and a living room. There are stairs but also an elevator. My only complaint is how quiet the place is at night. I almost could not sleep it is so still! But once cozied down in the blankets, I slept deeply. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2009

My husband and I wanted a nice place to stay in Morro Bay during the winter, post Xmas. The Inn has a spa downstairs, and also an incredible French bakery, where we ate breakfast every morning. The room was very clean and comfortable, with a big bath, (gas) fireplace, lovely big bed and a separate shared kitchenette,
The Inn is also perfectly situated - overlooking the bay where boats are moored and kayaks sail by. Also seals and otters playing. In front of the huge windows of our Big Sur suite, there is a parking lot, the road and then the bay. We enjoyed great sunsets from our room, sitting with a glass of wine enjoying the view. We walked into town all three nights and had nice dinners at very good restaurants. We saw a movie one night at the local cinema, the Central Coast Music store was excellent. as was the Farmers market, bookstore and coffee shops.
The weather was perfect and we were not disappointed in the wildlife - the day we arrived there was an osprey perched on the mast outside our window, seals and otters in the harbor, the elephant seals up at Piedras Blancas and the hoped-for-but-not-seen cranes and pronghorn antelope at the Carrizo Plain we couldn't have asked for more.

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 8 January 2009

Front Street Inn is so nice. I'm not going to call it luxurious, it's more homey than anything else, but very comfortable and cozy. There's a fridge and a microwave so you don't have to eat out if you don't want to (although with all the places to go, you should). The view is wonderful, as is the location (which is key!). I stayed in the Hideaway, which is an interesting space. It’s rather small and a little crammed with stuff, but the longer I spent in the room, the more I enjoyed it. I wish the windows had some tint as you are rather displayed to the world (and to the patrons of the bakery below - I got many waves from the local customers as though it’s a bit of a tradition to see the folks staying there each day), but I suppose that might obscure the sunset, which would be upsetting. It does get very hot and stuffy, however, so make sure you leave the shades down when you go out, and if you feel comfortable, a window cracked.
The bed is like sleeping on a cloud. The bedding is not hotel-standard, but instead, like the room itself, more like what you might find in a very nice home. I'm assuming they were Grand Patrician Seduction sheets, but if not, they certainly felt nice. However, if you like the crisp, cold feeling of the Marriott bedding, these sheets may not appeal. For me, they were heaven. The pillows, I nearly cried when I left them and am upset that I can't find them anywhere to purchase.
There's a great spyglass which is fun to play with, although everything is easy to see on its own. The bakery below sends up enticing smells and provides a great pajama jaunt morning purchase for your significant others hot breakfast-in-bed (really yummy food, and great teas!) You can hear the foghorn and the sea lions at night, which is lovely, but no waves as it's located in the breakwater. The sun sets right in front of you and watching the boats come and go is a form of relaxation nothing else can satisfy.
A fan would have been nice as the room can get quite stuffy, especially with a fire going (no matter how cold it is). The Jacuzzi tub is a bit unsatisfying as the bathroom itself is not very enticing so spending time there and away from the window feels somewhat wasteful (now, somehow put that tub by the window and dear lord! I never would have left the room). I brought lots of fun bath stuff, but never bothered to take it out of the bag.
The owners are wonderful and they clearly crafted the room with care. Don't stay here looking for luxury, stay here looking for relaxation... again, I LOVE that bed. You feel like you are staying in someone’s cabin. No froofroo frills, but lots of quality care. This is a place to melt into upon arrival, make it home and feel comfortable in. Bring games, food, wine (they provide glasses and a cork screw), popcorn, chocolate, whatever you prefer and let go after a long day of climbing around rocks and playing with the fattest ground squirrels that ever lived. That being said; do NOT leave the adventuring for the day time alone. A walk at midnight will show you some amazing wildlife, a sky so bright with stars you don’t need a light, and, if you walk to the other side of the breakwater, you’ll hear the night waves, there’s a difference, you’ll see. It will be well-worth a late morning rise.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple