“Doggies by the Sea”

Best Western El Rancho
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We came here for a little "staycation" with our pooches. Overall we're quite pleased: HWY access is easy, the dog beach is just up PCH, and there were treats for both people and pups.

I always keep an eye out for pet friendly lodging when I travel; I wish more places were like this. Service was great, and the room was clean. Rooms are a bit small (the building is clearly from an era before super-sizing). Who wants to be cooped up anyway when the beach is right there?

Stayed: June 2014
BestWestern E, Manager at Best Western El Rancho, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

We are so glad that you choose us for your stay-cation! We always welcome our four-legged friends and we hope to see you again soon, maybe for a longer stay!

There are newer reviews for Best Western El Rancho

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We chose this hotel for a quick one night stop off whilst driving down a Highway 1 from San Francisco to Los Angeles - the choice was made based on price and trip advisor reviews - and we weren't disappointed!

The reception isn't strictly 24 hours, but they do offer an out of hours check in after 10pm. We arrived around 9.45pm and the gentleman in the office was very friendly and extremely helpful.

Our room had a single queen bed but they also offer twin queen and king rooms. It was small but very cosy, well decorated, clean, and had much better than average toiletries etc. We got a great nights sleep.

Breakfast is free and is served in the lobby/office - which is amazingly decorated according to the season! It makes the small room really come alive, and actually having proper ceramic plates and mugs was lovely. The food was great too, waffles with fruit, sausages, toast etc.

The hotel also has a pool, and BBQ facilities, we didn't use either but they would have been very welcome if we were staying longer. There's a laundry area too.

Would definitely return if in the area again, and would recommend to anyone looking for a convenient stop off point on Highway 1.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our lobby decor! We are very proud of how we like to dress up our lobby with different themes about each month and we are always excited when our guests enjoy it! We hope that you come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Best Western at Morro Bay is one of the best we have visited. I expect a certain quality from Best Western which is why we tend to select them when we travel. This one had the standard nice clean room and efficient staff. Several things set it apart: the amenities in the room were better than expected--quite nice. We also chose this property because it is dog friendly. They had a lovely doggie basket with towels and treats, plus scooper mitts on the wall in the grassy area. The décor of the breakfast room/lobby was terrific--red, white and blue for Memorial Day and Fourth of July. I commented on it and was told the décor changes with the seasons or holidays. The desk staff provided excellent service at breakfast. It was the usual buffet, but she came around to each table with a platter of fruit and extra coffee. We really felt like welcome guests!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BestWestern E, Manager at Best Western El Rancho, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

We are thrilled that you felt so welcome while you were staying with us! We take pride in our lobby and appreciate that you enjoyed it! We also love having our pet friends visit as well. We hope that you come back and see us again real soon!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My mate and I stayed at this cozy motel during our visit to Hearst Castle Memorial weekend. I switched to this motel after reading bad reviews about another hotel in the area that was booked prior.

We were offered a non-smoking room with a queen-size bed. The room was cozy with a flat screen TV, a notebook with a list of DVDs that were available to rent on site, local eateries and leisurely activities for tourist.

Front desk was very hospitable; when we got to our room she called to check if everything was okay. The bathroom was clean and the shower had great water pressure.

Breakfast on site was delish too! Waffles, sausages, toast, fruit, hardboiled eggs, coffee and fresh juices were available.

When visiting Hearst or any other scenic areas in Morro Bay & you need a nice, clean place to stay, this motel is worth it. If you are more of a high-maintenance traveler, this may not be your cup of tea, however it's perfect for any traveler that's looking for clean, budget accommodations.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
BestWestern E, Manager at Best Western El Rancho, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! We do take pride in offering the best we can in customer service! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Quality for investment is GREAT especially for a doggie friendly hotel. They extend the warm welcome to "fido" and provide amenities. Highly recommend this comfortable rest spot. King size bed is very comfortable and so are the 4 pillows are provided. Doggie run on the beach is just a short distance North up Hwy 1 with parking along the ocean and No Leach is required. Go Doggie run free.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BestWestern E, Manager at Best Western El Rancho, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

We are so glad that you and your puppy enjoyed your stay with us!!! We do provide you with the pet basket in your room when you arrive with all of the supplies that you and your friend need while staying with us. We also have lots of pet friendly restaurants in the area and a dog park and beach very close by as well. We do hope that you come and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed on our way home from Northern California. Received a call to find out if we would be there by 10:00 which we were not. They left directions on how to get our key and gave us our room number as the office closed at 10:00. When we arrived at midnight, the key was where we had been told it be but it was extremely disconcerting to get to our room and find the door ajar. Our daughter was very uncomforable about staying although it did not appear that anyone had been in there and was likely an accident. When I let the front desk know in the morning, they apologized but did not appear to be very concerned.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
BestWestern E, Manager at Best Western El Rancho, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

We are very sorry that you did not feel safe staying with us. We do have management on site 24 hours a day while our lobby does close at 10pm, which was mentioned in your late night envelope with the phone number to call for concerns or emergencies as well as the night bell. We wish that you would have let us know sooner how uncomfortable you were entering the room and we could have addressed the situation better by moving your room or letting you out of your reservation if you wished. It was obviously an oversight that the door was left ajar as that is not a standard practice we have.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I rented a room so I, my 4 year old and a friend could use the pool during our recent heatwave. I had no intention of actually staying over as I live right around the corner. I arrived at 11:45 to an empty hotel, mid-week. When I went into the lobby the woman told me I could not check in until 3:00 pm and to return then. I've stayed at many hotels and never been denied check in early when the hotel was nearly vacant. I left, returned at 3:00 with my daughter and friend and was told I had to pay $20 to have my guests swim with me for insurance purposes. In the meantime 3 local girls were using the pool and were clearly not registered guests. In fact, when they left they waved to the person in the lobby and walked back in the direction of their homes! I know they are locals because as stated I too am a local. I am disgusted at the customer service and the double standard. Pitiful to treat "visitors" to our lovely town so poorly, as the lobby person clearly thought I was only visiting. Well, she was right in that my visit there was a one time thing. And visitors beware of the double standard you will fall victim to should you make the unfortunate choice to stay there.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Cathie L
BestWestern E, Manager at Best Western El Rancho, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

I would like to start by clarifying many of the misstated facts above.When you arrived at 11:47 am to check in to what you say was an empty hotel you might be correct. Our check out time is 11:00 am . We then need to clean and stock each room before check in at 3:00 pm.
When you arrived back at 3:00 pm to check in, I explained to you that the reservation YOU made with Best Western was for one person with one bed. You explained you had two other people that were wanting to swim in the pool with you. I was happy to upgrade you to a room that would accommodate three people at the additional charge for a room with two beds.
In regards to the swimming pool ,our hotel insurance is an umbrella policy that covers our guests, employees and their family. Since we are not a public pool we must adhere to those rules.
We find it unsettling that you feel we would treat ANY guest with anything but equal respect.
I hope this has helped to clarify the facts for you.