“Best Western-El Rancho”

Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
California
“Best Western-El Rancho”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Best Western El Rancho is a quaint motel on the North end of Morro Bay. The hotel is probably 50 or more years old, but has been remodeled; It was very nice. Room decor could be updated but overall the room was very nice. The grounds were exceptional. Even in a drought, BW El Rancho had an abundance of flowers, especially roses. The breakfast was quite good. The only problem was that the TV remote didn't work and the clerk couldn't talk me through the problem solving process. He memtioned that they just got a new TV provider and he wasn't totally familiar with it. He called for help and she solved the problem immediately.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BestWestern E, Manager at BEST WESTERN El Rancho, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! We do take great pride in our outdoor area and making it as beautiful as we can for our guests to enjoy. We hope that you will come back and see us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Friant, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We showed up with exactly the amount if people that we told Best Western reservation line. 2 adults 3 children under 10 The hotel will say something different when they answer this. they gave us a king bed room with a roll away bed that did not fit and told us to put it against the door.

I called the front desk because the man in the room next door came into my room in his underwear because he could hear me through the walls talking on the phone. The lady at the front desk did not want to come down and handle it so I told her all the issues like trying to make us pay for three nights up front which I made them reverse and charge only for the 1 and only night I might have stayed, which was onky because they wanted to charge whether i stayed or not. The bums in the parking lot drinking beer near the pool, that the bed in front of the door was a fire hazard. The room smelled and was dirty looked like it hadn't been cleaned in awhile.

The night person forced me my wife and children all under 10 out onto the street at midnight because they did not want to deal with someone coming into our room in their underware the lady at the desk thought it was funny my children would be on the street for the night. I had to go sign the refund slip when we left and she had some guy in there with her like if he was going to tear into to me at any moment. They both appeared to be under the influence of something I assume this is why she didn't want to take of the situation.

Also on the scramble to leave my son's laptop and carting case where left in the room I called the customer complaint line and they told me they had the laptop and I could pick it up at 9am. Since I felt reason to FEAR for my families SAFETY I decided that it was not a good idea to go back so I called the customer service line again to have the laptop sent to me and then was told they did not have the laptop therefore I had to assume the laptop was stolen and filed a police report. So again I worn you all especially those with children to beware they have no problem to through you out in the street even if the person in the room next to you enters your room in their underware. Heartless people run this place. I guess I should have let then call the cops as they said they were going to if we did not leave within 15 minutes then I could have filed a report on the guy in his underwear coming into our room. I can't believe that people like this are allowed to operate a hospitality business. Where is the owner of this place I wonder if they know what's going on here.

Last please ignore their answer they answer these reviews like they care but I'm telling you they act like they have no sense at all when you try to explain the issue and will just keep saying well you don't have to stay we are accommodating you like you owe them. Well that's what I was paying for its like like the room was free I expect a safe place without people coming into our room. Sorry if I repeated myself at all but I'm am still really upset over this my children don't even want to go out of town anymore scared they will have to sleep in the car. I will upload the pictures later trying to turn the video I took of signing the refund with the guy ready to pounce on me and the lady laughing into pictures to upload.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank bwhastings
BestWestern E, Manager at BEST WESTERN El Rancho, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
We are once again sorry that you had such a horrible experience with us! You have told your side of the story and we have told ours. We wish you safe future travels.
Encinitas, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I had booked this motel on-line. We have stayed in other Best Westerns and have found them to be comfortable, clean for a moderate price. Well, how Best Western put their name on this shabby run-down motel beats me. It's a way from the town right along the highway. We arrived there aorund 5, after a long drive hungry and tired, and were surprised that it was an old single story beach motel. The desk clerk was nice enough but informed us the wi-fi wasn't working. We went over to our room and the smell when we opened he door was horrible. Smelled like a sewer, and all the windows were wide open. We went over to the front desk and told her. She acted surprised and walked back with us. Said she didn't know what it was (?) but she would pour some vinegar down the shower stall, really? She said there were no other rooms and we were welcome to go somewhere else and she'd refund our money. So we said we needed to eat first and would be back shortly. Well we grabbed a bite in town and walked into the first motel just up from the water. For just a few dollars more we had a better room with a balcony right in town. Drove back to worst western and got our money back. Couldn't have been happier to leave that nightmare motel behind. Only good thing to say about it was that the front desk girl gave us a hassle free refund. Avoid this place though, it's no Best Western and they should be ashamed of putting their name on this dump.

3 Thank BobnJudi
BestWestern E, Manager at BEST WESTERN El Rancho, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
We are very sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience with our hotel, We are glad that you found a place that better suited your needs.
San Jose, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

In the service industry I never seen a hotel front office in my life who is so rude and who was ready to "chuck us out of the hotel" just because I asked her why she is charging for extra person and the internet was not working hence I asked her hope you are giving some discount for that".. for that she got upset and said " I guess we do not have a room you need and I need unreserve you" and she cancelled our reservation. I pleaded her not to do it because I was with family with two small children. Inspite of telling her that I am with small children, she went ahead and cancelled the reservation and I had to apologize for asking discount and then she allowed us..This is pure racial discrimination because I am Asian Indian I guess. It was total humiliation in the late evening when we were on vacation. Secondly, the room did not even had air conditioned in that hot summer day. We used to love Best Western for all the best service.. not any more. I will never stay in Best Western and I am going to take it up with Best Western manager and post this review on line and let the word know the service I received.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

3 Thank Nathen G
BestWestern E, Manager at BEST WESTERN El Rancho, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
I am amazed at your review of our very well liked and always friendly staff member. I do recall as you might, that I, the manager was also helping with your check in. Please understand that my clerk was only doing her job, It is her job to ensure that we meet all of the proper codes and rules, as she explained you had more people than your reservation had stated . We are then required to charge for any additional people . We were indeed also experiencing some Internet issues and freely explained it to you upon your check in. I feel it is unfortunate that you take no responsibility for your actions regarding the way you spoke with my employee which resulted in my assistance. We clearly explained to you all your options. You then said you wanted to stay. As I explained to you and again clearly stated, you would be charged for the extra person and that the Internet was clearly having problems. If you might recall I then had you initial your reservation to ensure your satisfaction. We accept in good faith that the reservation made by our guests contain all the correct information, and can only correct it upon arrival.

We hope you find what you are seeking in your future travels.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Nothing special other then clean room nice gardens location, but you should feel like there glad to see you after many years of going there. I have nothing more too say so I am speachless to come out with 200 characters

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BestWestern E, Manager at BEST WESTERN El Rancho, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
We are very sorry that you were not properly welcomed back to our hotel! We love seeing our return guests and we apologize that you did not feel like you were made to feel special. We do hope that you will come and see us again and give us the chance to treat you right.
Midlothian, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Caroline - she's everywhere, she's everywhere! She greets you upon arrival. She pours your coffee at the morning breakfast and she graciously recommends local restaurants (yes, definitely Sabetta's). We so appreciated her welcoming hospitality and cookies upon arrival.
As for the actual accommodations, well, Caroline couldn't do much on her own to improve that aspect. We were surprised that there was no air-conditioning. And the room was so hot and stuffy when we first checked in, so we had to leave the exterior door open all evening to make it bearable. The outside temp did cool down at night, but we had to leave windows open all night to cool down the room (not always recommended on the ground floor of a motel with direct outdoor access from the room.)
And some positives.......um....... very nice shower and decent wi-fi.
Not sure why you would choose this hotel, not sure why you would choose Morro Bay (to see the Rock?). For us, it was a stopping point to Hearst Castle. One night, one breakfast and we survived to write about it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
BestWestern E, Manager at BEST WESTERN El Rancho, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
We are glad that you enjoyed the service at our hotel but are sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the room. Yes we do not have air conditioning in our rooms and we are sorry that you were unaware of that when you booked the room. We are also sorry that you were not able to explore the charms of our town of Morro Bay. There are quite a lot of exciting things to do and see in our area, such as kayaking, fishing, whale watching and lots of local stores and restaurants to try! We do hope that you will come back to the area and give us another chance.
Los Banos, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Very clean and comfortable.... Management is doing a great job. The location is good and in room movies are free on DVD. The Mexican resturant is within walking distance! The ocean is a short drive down the road. Usually, the temperature is in the 60s.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! We do hope that you will come back and visit again soon!