“Better than I expected!”

Best Western San Marcos Inn
Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 February 2008

My wife and I needed to get away to Morro Bay for a few days and decided on the San Marcos. The rooms are very spacious and clean. We got a room on the third floor with a perfect view of Morro Rock. The inn is a block away from shops and restaurants. The bed was extremely comfortable. I thought the desk clerk could have been a little more pleasant. The breakfast is adequate and the evening wine and cheese in a nice treat. The town of Morro Bay is a pretty lazy - a perfect place for people who just want to relax.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western San Marcos Inn

Reviewed 14 January 2008

This is a very good place for a sedate getaway. The hotel is only one long block from the bayside restaurants and shops. There's a pleasant inner courtyard with fountain and really tall plants. Room was attractive, clean; bed was comfortable. We'd booked a non-view room for $62 (AAA rate) but without asking were upgraded upon arrival to a view room on the third floor with a small balcony that caught the afternoon sun and offered a stunning view of Morro Rock (normally $20-25 extra.) Really enjoyed the gigantic indoor spa, and the wine/cheese evening was a nice touch (okay, so the wine glasses were plastic.) Breakfast included coffee, fresh fruit, juice, granola, breads and pastries.

A couple of small things you should know.... The vanity area conveniently hides a sink and counter, closet, hair dryer, coffeemaker, fridge, and microwave from the rest of the room; the bathroom though (shower stall and toilet) is quite small and if you are not a "small person" you might find your nose at the wall when using the toilet. Our room had been remodeled and repaired several times and though nice enough, there are some tell-tale signs of piece-meal work - a loose wallpaper corner here, some blobby ceiling texture there, a little roughness around the edges.

The office staff seemed pretty average - they didn't exactly exude professionalism, just sort of did their jobs - but we didn't have any problems so it's hard to say how they might handle difficulties. But overall we enjoyed our stay very much and found this place to be an excellent value. Morro Bay is a great place to spend a couple of carefree days, and this hotel offered a good bit more than we expected.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2007

My Wife and I have been staying at the San Marcos two to three times a year for the past five years. Over that time we have learned that in order to avoid the noise from rooms above or next door we always request a third floor corner room. On this last visit reservations were made a month in advance for the third floor ocean view corner room. When we arrived we were given a room on the second floor next to the elevator. When I protested that we were not given what had been guaranteed I was told that who ever took my reservation didn't enter it properly. When I asked to talk to the manager, I was informed she was not on site. I informed the desk person that we would not stay at the San Marcos and would go elsewhere. I was then told that I had to pay for one night because I cancelled without the required notice. When I refused to be charged, the manager was contacted and apprised of the situation. She then instructed the desk person to see if the La Serna Inn had any vacancies. When the the desk person asked who took my reservation and I gave her the name she said "oh that's the manager." They did make arrangements for us to look at an ocean view room at the The La Serna at the same rate. We took the room at the La Serna and will now be staying there on our frequent visits to Morro Bay.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank retired52
Reviewed 2 November 2007

I chose the Best Western San Marcos because I wanted a reasonably priced room with a view of the bay and Morro Rock. My 3rd floor balcony room ($95, AARP rate) had a great view of both! The motel is in a good location just a block from the waterfront's shops and restaurants. Check-in was uneventful, and everything in my room was in working order. The accommodation was basic, but comfortable. No in-room movies, but they have cable TV. No tub, just a shower stall, but I prefer that. I worried when I could hear the guests in the rooms on either side of me, as well as the echoing noise of guests in the atrium, but after 10:30 p.m. everything was quiet for the rest of the night. The continental breakfast is served in a small, tight space next to the reception desk. It's an uninspired offering - little muffins, fruit, etc. - and the long line moves slowly. I skipped it and went to La Parisienne Bakery on the Embarcadero for delicious quiche. The bakery has at least five kinds of quiche and about a dozen versions of huge egg-and-other-stuff breakfast sandwiches and amazing walnut sticky buns and really good coffee...and a view of the harbor and rock. The night before, I'd enjoyed the best Cabo fish tacos and "killer" garlic fries at Rose's Landing - great service, great food, reasonably priced, right on the waterfront. Overall, I was satisfied with my stay at the San Marcos.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank BirdingIsFun
Reviewed 16 October 2007

Great value and a great location in Morro Bay. Very nice accommodations. I highly recommend this place. It is very close to the Morro Bay waterfront, and is in a very pleasant neighborhood.

The only complaint is a minor one... the complimentary breakfast offerings could have been a little nicer.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank commonerMcLean_VA
Reviewed 3 October 2007

We stayed here recently for one night as a stopover while travelling down the coast.
Good - we booked a king room with ocean view - and the view was lovely, of the Rock. The room was very good, large, bright, clean, comfortable and good bathroom facilities. Breakfast was a standard continental type.
Cons - the check-in staff. She thought we had booked 3 rooms when we had only booked 2. She was extremely rude, unhelpful, very unprofessional and really spoilt the beginning of our stay. She did, eventually sort it out but after a lot of hassle.
After a disappointing start, we did enjoy our stay. It is only 5 minutes walk from good restaurants. We had dinner at the Outrigger which was delicious and very good value.
Good as a stopover.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank LAT10258
Reviewed 20 September 2007

Great place to stay! The rooms are stunning and the views on the ocean side are to die for! On the ocean side rooms you have an incredible view of Otter Rock, the landmark of Morro Bay. The staff is super friendly. During the afternoon they have cheese and wine which makes a nice snack. Overall, I loved this place! Highly, highly recommended. For the best rate, I was told by the front desk staff to call them directly. I couldn't have been happier!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank seahawksteve