“Unreliable and dishonest!”

GreenLeadersGold level
California
“Unreliable and dishonest!”
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I made a group reservation with Best Western San Marcos Inn at Morro Bay for the Memorial Day weekend for 8 rooms in February. I gave them my credit card for backing and was given a confirmation number for all these rooms. When I called back a week ago to reconfirm the reservation, I was told by Michelle, the manager, that my group reservation was "a mistake" and therefore she did not proceed to reserve the rooms. However, she never called me back to let me know the rooms were not available. Had I not called, I would not know I had no rooms!! Her reason for the mistake was that the rooms had to be booked for 3 nights instead of 2. However, she did take my credit card for my room for 2 nights! I will NEVER use this Best Western San Marcos.

Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
mamamorro, Manager at Best Western San Marcos Inn, responded to this review, 21 March 2011
We here at the Best Western Plus San Marcos Inn were very sorry to read of your dissatisfaction. Unfortunately there was a miscommunication. On holiday weekends there is a 3 night minimum for groups. It is our policy that only the Manager sets up and does group reservations. Our manager was aware of your request and was preparing to return your call when you called her. There were never any charges placed on your credit card.
Again we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience incurred and wish you only pleasurable experiences on future trips.

Best Regards,
Best Western Plus San Marcos Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
California
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Nice location, and very helpful staff. The evening reseption was a real treat. We got there around 6:30pm. Figured we probable missed most of it. Ended up being full of guest sharing their travels in this quaint lobby area. People were enjoying themselves so much the staff didn't just break things down at 7pm. They even restocked the wine bar and made sure everyone was enjoying themselves. You don't see that very often these days. The breakfast bar was also very nice. Huge hot tub to relax in after sightseeing. They let us check out a half hour latter to get some kayaking in (Kayak Horizons great rental). Upgraded to an ocean view which we greatly appreciated. Morro Bay is very laid back which is part of its charm. The misty air is hard on these older properties. The property is small but it made use of every inch of space. And has upgraded where it can. Prices often seem high for what you get in Morro and it is very seasonal. When reading review as to where to stay, they were from one extreme to another. Another sold out property recommended this hotel and it was a good choice. We had a wonderful weekend and the hotel had alot to do with it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Placentia CA
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Basically clean, can hear conversations and TV from ajoining rooms. Cheese and wine at night and continental breakfast were nice, although the eating area is small. Walking distance to the bay... No pool, however understand that sister motels in area offer pools to guests from this location. It does get stuffy at night, use the nature air conditioning, leave the door from the balcony open... did not do, so unable to comment on any noise from outside

would stay there again

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 December 2008

This property is located about 1 block from the water and some rooms have water views. Ours, unfortunately, did not (you have to pay more for that privilege). Our room overlooked the courtyard carpark and it was quite noisy as the sounds all echoed around. Each room has a tiny balcony with a sliding glass door that opens onto it. We had to keep this door open during the night as it was quite warm and this hotel has no airconditioning. I could clearly hear someone's conversation at 2.30 am....no idea exactly where they were but I'm sure they could've been anywhere! There was a ceiling fan in the room but it did not seem to create any breeze...I'm not sure exactly how that worked....but it wasn't situated over the beds anyway, it was over the desk/table. Noise also echoed around outside the door to the room as the corridors are open to some sort of atrium. We also were unfortunate to have a room with a connecting door so some more noise came from our neighbours.

Other than that, the hotel was quite acceptable. It's just your basic Best Western, clean but not particularly new. Our room was quite small. As can be seen in my photo, there's not much room between the two double beds. The bathroom consisted of a toilet and shower. There was an area outside the bathroom where the vanity area was located, along with a fridge and microwave. Breakfast was basic but good enough and the men at the front desk were friendly.

The hotel is located about 1 block away from lots of waterfront restaurants. We dined at Dorn's Breakers cafe and were there in time to see a spectacular sunset.

Morro Bay is a nice little town with lots of motels. I just wish there were some other chain hotels like Holiday Inn Express or even some of the Marriott chain there. But these are like needles in the proverbial haystack along Highway 1.

• Disliked — No airconditioning
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I can usually feel that Best Western will give you a resonable stay for your money. At this place,.you can hear Daddy playing with the kids, then Daddy playing with Mommy. It's the first time I've had ti wear headphones in order to get some sleep.
My wife just asked, "Have you seen the shower?" I guess that's another treat instore for me. We were only here for one night. I hope our next stop is better, we are there for 4 nights.

• Liked — the bed was ok
  • Disliked — too much noise
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Tallahassee
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Just checked in. I booked this hotel because it was the most reasonable for the price. I wasn't expecting much. The room is okay, typical motel. But we are on the 3rd floor, oceanview and we are looking directly at the bay and Morro Rock. The balcony view is fantastic. I should note that this is not directly on the ocean, but that's okay because it makes the price very reasonable.
You are only 2 short blocks away from the action. My husband and I actually just walked there, had lunch and walked back with no problems and are planning on walking back for night life.
If you want to stay directly on the ocean, I would recommend the Best Western Calvalier in San Simeon. We went there and the view is incredible! But expect to pay the price! I would rather stay here and spend the extra $ elsewhere.

My only complaint is that I booked directly through the website with my debit card, they charged my debit card for the full amount and I had to pay again when I checked in.

• Liked — View
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Westborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 April 2008

Good basic hotel with a nice view of the bay and Morro Rock and only a short walk from the waterfront. The staff was friendly, but the minimal. Note that the front desk is not open over night. There is a spa off of the central atrium, resulting is a slight smell of chlorine throughout the building.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — A little run down