“Beautiful & Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ascot Inn at the Rock

Ascot Inn at the Rock
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
San Diego
“Beautiful & Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

Ok, so maybe I'm easy to please but I thought this place was great! We are usually Embassy Suites people. The room was quiet, bed comfortable and the people (staff and guest) were all great! We paid $119 and got a fireplace and a jacuzzi tub. I didn't find the tub to be small at all like someone stated in another review. Yes the flames were small in the fireplace but I don't really want the place burning down while I'm there either. Give them a break! No bed bugs in 208 and the room was very clean.

The breakfast was just fine with the waffle maker and there was plenty of food to choose from. We enjoyed the wine tasting (free). Actually, all the guest sitting at the happy hour seemed to enjoy the wine. No one was complaining.

Anyway, I would stay here again in a heartbeat and I would recommend it to any of my family and friends.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank QuiltingLindaK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2009

We stayed for one night in Feb and brought home bedbugs. After several attempts to contact management they refunded us $100 on a $250 room. BEWARE!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2009

My wife and I have stayed at this location about 15 times now and every time we travel to the California coast. Its quiet, peacefull, classy, and close to san luis, pismo beach, ect. I have never been unsatisifed with a stay at the Ascot Suites but I will say that since undergoing "renevations" about 15 months ago, this hotel is not the same, and financial corners have clearly been cut.

On our first trip back after waiting over a year for them to re-open we noticed immediate changes, which, anyone whos stayed there as often as we have would notice. The free continental breakfast used to have an in room delivery option, you could fill out a card the night before with all your breakfast selections on it, and it would be brought to your room within a one hour time window that you chose. That option is gone now, you have to go down to the lobby and hope that by the time you get there (my wife and i dont really wanna get up at 6am when were on vacation) theres a good selection left.

There also used to be a turn down service between 5-7pm. Upon your request (leaving a request card hangning from your doorknob) the maids would come in, re-make the bed, leave chocolates on the pillows and light the fireplace in the winter or turn on the AC in the summer. This is also now sadly, gone.

The rooms also used to have a mini-fridge with beer, juices and snacks in it for purchase at a pretty reasonable price (a bottled corona was only $2). Again, gone.

The free wine recpetion in the lobby is still there but the wine they pour is way cheaper than the wine they used to have and seeing as how the location is only minutes from one of the biggest wine growing locations in the world....i cant understand why.

I guess none of this would be a big deal except that for all these cutbacks, the prices of the rooms are still as high as they have always been ($99-$200 per night). Dont get me wrong, the rooms are still very nice, clean, well kept and quiet. But i can no longer validate paying on average $179 a night (what we usually paid for a balcony room in summer time). We now only stay there on weekdays, or get the room with no balcony to keep the room price withtin $100. For $100 a night you wont find a better room, but while all the extras made this place worth $179 a night, those extras are all gone now, i cant see paying that much anymore.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2008

Given that 45 of 47 reviews of Ascot Suites in Morro Bay are 5 star and over-the-top glowing, my review probably won’t matter.
I booked two nights in the Windsor Suite weeks in advance
on-line and even confirmed by phone, for my girlfriend’s 50th birthday weekend. I was told on arrival that the suite was booked for the next night and “did I want to go find a place somewhere else”! I had a confirmed booking as did someone else but apparently they were ‘preferred’ customers as we were basically shown the door after one night on my girlfriend’s birthday!
They found us a lesser room at another local hotel and offered a small discount on the price. Had they not charged us for the night I would have been more forgiving but they simply said “sorry for ruining your weekend even though we admit it is our fault”. A nice breakfast doesn’t forgive incompetence especially at 250$ a night. Stay away from this place especially if it is for a special occasion.
Brian Los Angeles, CA

Stayed September 2008
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2008

After reading the reviews and seeing the website, I decided to stay at the Ascot Suites this past Labor Day weekend. The good reviews have been written over a year ago and the amenities have declined. Happy hour included cheap wine with chex mix and breakfast was less than continental not even providing juice one morning. Although the room was nice, paying over $200.00 per night I expected far better fare.

Stayed September 2008
St Helens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

We stayed at the Ascot Suites for 1 night on our trip up the coast. It was very pleasant. Nice room, very friendly hostess who got us a table at the Galley Restaurant overlooking the bay. The rooms are chintzy but that just adds to its charm. There was wine tasting in the evening , that was more like a free bar for an hour and a continental style buffet breakfast included.

The meal at the Galley was excellent. It’s just a pity about the huge power station spoiling the view.

Overall a very nice stay.

Stayed July 2008
Fresno, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary. We were very excited because it was just the two of us and this was a special weekend. We got to the hotel at 3:30pm, check-in is at 3pm. We had no problems getting registered, payed our bill and were sent right up to our room. When we got there, the room was not ready! We had to wait approximately 35 minutes before they were finished cleaning our room. We had to move all of our stuff so that they could vaccume! After they left, we started checking out the room. I had read the welcome binder while the room was being cleaned, and it stated that there was a minibar in the room, however, we never did find it. The so-called whilrpool spa was just a slightly larger than average bathtub with some spa jets. We then went up to the rooftop garden patio. The patio itself is nice, but the "garden" consisted of yellow potted plants. There was a spa up there, but it was empty with a cover held down by rocks. This was very disappointing. We opted to bypass the wine hour because we are not much into wine, but this is a nice offering. I was up before 6am the next morning because the bed was so hard that I woke up with a sore back and neck. This also happened the second morning. When we went to breakfast, which is served from 7-10am, at 930am. There was standing room only with all tables full in eating area as well as the lobby. Some people were eating out oon the bench in front of the hotel. Food was good, but poorly planned eating area. All in all, I felt that for what we paid for the room, it should have been ready when we got there, they should have quality mattresses on the beds, and they should not be advertising "whilrpool spas" in the room. We will not be returning to this hotel, I would rather stay at a Motel 6 because the room is bigger and the beds are a whole lot more comfortable, and there is a pool!

• Liked — The convenient location.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)