“Arrogant manager attempts public humiliation”

Blue Sky Bistro on the Bay
Ranked #11 of 98 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Price range: US$9 - US$23
Cuisines: Seafood, American, Soups, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, View
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Spectacular views and outdoor tables make this "Bistro on the Bay" a perfect spot to relax, enjoy a latte or organic coffee and hot breakfast.Breakfast is served all day. In addition to the indoor seating, there are 18 outdoor waterfront tables to enjoy watching the seals, otters, pelicans and other nature as well as watching the sailboats drift by. There is soothing live weekend entertainment in the morning and it gets a bit kicked up in the afternoon during happy hour and they have their own house wine among a great wine list. The scene is gorgeous and a glassed in area is provided to enjoy the outdoors when it is windy. Sunset is beautiful from this location while dinner is served. Fresh local seafood is the main dish along with pastas and fresh salads.
London
“Arrogant manager attempts public humiliation”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Never, in 40 years of visiting restaurants throughout the world, have I experienced such self-centred and appalling behaviour from restaurant staff - and that from the manager.

We had a couple of relatively minor issues (an extra long wait for our light lunch, and the salsa spilt on serving) but had not made any issue about them at all. When we paid the bill, we left a 10% tip (no minimum service was specified on the menu).

The manager then came charging out, disdainfully tossed the bill folder on the table, stepped back 3 or 4 steps and announced for all the guests in the restaurant to hear that he expected at least 18% service with a clear insinuation that we were just mean guests. He didn't make any attempt whatsoever to discuss whether there may have been any problems. He was solely concerned that he had, in his view, mean guests and he was going to show them up in front of the restaurant.

I'm not sure which school of customer service he went to but it has no place in the service industry.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank LesR-Kent

Morro Bay, California
“I really wanted to like this place but......”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I am a Morro Bay local and really wanted this place to be great. With outside seating right on the bay the atmosphere is beautiful. However, I have been here several times and it seems to be getting worse. The service is negligent, at best. I watched someone's breakfast burrito sit in the window for about 12 minutes before being taken out. There were more staff that customers and still I had to go and get my own coffee three times. My family of four was seated just before another family but we did not receive our breakfast until after they were done eating. It took about 45 minutes for us to get our food (hence the 3 cups of coffee) and our waitress visited 3 times during the entire dining experience, once to take our order, once to deliver our food and once to pick up the tab which I had to go and ask for so I could get my kids out of the place. I don't know where the problem lies....it seems like there are a series of issues that make this place a customer service nightmare. The menu is good and the food has been prepared well, although my son did receive burnt bacon and our English muffins were cold. The coffee was nothing more than brown water. After expressing my frustration with another person hanging out at the bar we were comped my children's drinks which were initially not charged for anyway. Overall, I would say skip it as there is nothing on the menu worth the hassle and frustration of being ignored. I would recommend Frankie and Lola's for a really yummy breakfast or Kitty's Kitchen for the best waitress in town.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Kylagg
“Didn't even get a menu ”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This place has poor service. Sat down, waitress said she would be with us. 10 minutes later, after watching several servers look at us still never received a menu. After watching other people get served around us, we got up and left. So rude and bad service.

1 Thank Lovelycin
Spring Creek, Nevada
“Excellent!!!!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Awesome view! The service was awesome, and the food was really good! I enjoyed the shrimp tacos. They were the best I have ever had. Definitely must stop here if you are visiting Morro Bay!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank April M
Santa Cruz, CA
“SO GREAT”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We ate here twice. Mushroom ravioli, steak...everything was fantastic and the staff is so friendly. The views are beautiful. The dining area inside is nothing fancy, but the food and service (and views) more than make up for it.

Visited May 2014