“Third Time is the Charm”
Review of Maya Restaurant

Maya Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 103 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 January 2014

It was Christmas night in Morro Bay. We were looking for a place for dinner at 7:00 PM. Stopped at the first place, they were busy. The man said it would be 45 minutes before we could be seated. I counted 10 empty tables. We would have waited for dinner, just let us have a table and some beverages.

Second place had a line with five tables ahead of us. We headed north.

We had driven by this place on the way from Cayucos and decided to five it a try. Bingo! Home run!! We walked in and were immediately seated. The bus lady brought chips and salsa. I asked for a menu and she said she did not speak English. We started a conversation in Spanish and her face lit up. She was very friendly and was a harbinger of things to come.

Our server promptly arrived, left menus and took a drink order. Service was quick, the plates were hot, food was great. I had the chile relleno, my companions had enchiladas and a salad. My rellenos were cooked to perfection with a slightly crispy egg batter covering the roasted chile. It was stuffed with cheese that had melted. The salsa ... the SALSA was excellent. It had a flavor that was out of this world. The heat was just right. This is definitely one of the best salsas I have tasted.

Yes, Morro Bay is a seafood place. This restaurant will be on my go to list every time we visit.

1  Thank RichardGrove

Reviewed 24 December 2013

We were greeted by the friendly family that owns the restaurant and our order was promptly taken, the meal was a little slow in coming but it was Christmas Eve! I had the Special Burrito for $10.99, perhaps a little pricey but typical of coastal California. The flavour was a perfect balance of heat and taste in the spices, the meat was good and the generous side serving of avocado was very good. They have a typical selection of Mexican and American beers and a fairly broad food menu. Both the chips and salsa were excellent and a second helping was gladly delivered.

The environment was typical of an older restaurant (opened 1966) with a central area with large tables surrounded by booths against the all round windows. It was dark when we were there but I imagine there is a good view of the ocean across the highway and some rooftops.

The staff was friendly and indulged my halting Spanish with good humour.

Plenty of parking available in the large lot.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were driving up the coast on Route 1 and stopped a Maya for lunch. We had a wonderful home cooked meal at a very reasonable price. Our server was efficient and food arrived at our table, hot and delicious. Wish we lived closer for a return visit.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

As locals my wife and I have tried many of the Mexican restaurants in the area and we always return to Maya. Family owned, cute funky interior, great service and the best Mexican food we can find. Classic Mexican cuisine, good prices, week day specials. Can't go wrong.

Steve P.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Best Salsa from a mom and pop, made fresh and compliments any thing they cook. Our table of Nine had a field day with the menu and not a plate went back with any food left on it. Staff was wonderful and move table to accommodate our group. Oh by the way, they allow prayer at this place, thank you.